Singapore Expats

LETTER FROM SINGAPORE MINDEF FREAKING OUT MY WIFE

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 2:27 pm

And make sure you include your children in ALL the discussions.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 3:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Lots and lots of Americans take up dual citizenship with other nations that allow it (not SG), and never lose their American citizenship. But the US keeps this as a trump card to use against you if they see fit. As long as you stay under the radar and pay your taxes, you're probably fine. But they COULD kick you out.
This is not correct. Dual citizenship is accepted by the United States and has been affirmed by a number of pieces of legislation and Supreme Court rulings. Even I, a naturalized US citizen, cannot have my US citizenship revoked just because I am also a citizen of other countries.

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/

http://www.richw.org/dualcit/law.html
I'm familiar with the argument, but it doesn't change the fact that the State Department's website says otherwise. Like I said, you're probably OK.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 4:15 pm

Additionally, the site that SE is linking hasn't been updated since January 2011 and is almost 3 years old now, so may well be holding incorrect information as he has stated, he will no longer update that URL.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:44 pm

To me it's a lot like people who enter the US on non-Immigrant visas (1-2 week wait for interview) and then adjust their status, instead of applying for an immigrant visa (6 months+, can be years even). You're not supposed to do it, but it's completely allowed. US Immigration laws make almost as little sense as the tax code.

CompassROSE

reply from CMPB came in

Post by CompassROSE » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 7:28 pm

1. No doubt about it. My 1st born will hv to serve.

2. "Under the Enlistment Act, ALL male Sing citizens and PRs are liable for NS from age 16 1/2 and scheduled for enlistment upon reaching 18 years old, UNLESS they are granted DEFERMENT from fulltime NS. Also required to apply for an exit permit to remain outside Singapore for a period of 3 mths or longer. " - CMPB

3. As my son is a still a Singapore citizen as of today, thus he is liable for NS.

4. By the way, he can only renounce Singapore citizenship at age 21 years old.

5. Application of DEFERMENT from NS/exit permit for my son will be considered UP to the COMPLETEION of HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION within the USA.

By the way, we also have 'warned' another couple. Their son also has dual citizenship - Belgium and Singapore. My wife's cousin. Their son is borned in Belgium, however, mother is still Singaporean.

As for our case, my son has to return to serve 2 years after his completion on HIGH SCHOOL in 2015. At age 21, he will have to choose either AMERICA's or SINGAPORE'S citizenship.

No fines for us, since we are still within the dateline of registration. Do not IGNORE the MINDEF letter.

We want to thank everyone here in this forum for ALL your feedbacks and encouragements.

Our thanks again;)
-
Carps downsouth Louisiana.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: reply from CMPB came in

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 8:32 pm

CompassROSE wrote:1. No doubt about it. My 1st born will hv to serve.

2. "Under the Enlistment Act, ALL male Sing citizens and PRs are liable for NS from age 16 1/2 and scheduled for enlistment upon reaching 18 years old, UNLESS they are granted DEFERMENT from fulltime NS. Also required to apply for an exit permit to remain outside Singapore for a period of 3 mths or longer. " - CMPB

3. As my son is a still a Singapore citizen as of today, thus he is liable for NS.

4. By the way, he can only renounce Singapore citizenship at age 21 years old.

5. Application of DEFERMENT from NS/exit permit for my son will be considered UP to the COMPLETEION of HIGH SCHOOL EDUCATION within the USA.

By the way, we also have 'warned' another couple. Their son also has dual citizenship - Belgium and Singapore. My wife's cousin. Their son is borned in Belgium, however, mother is still Singaporean.

As for our case, my son has to return to serve 2 years after his completion on HIGH SCHOOL in 2015. At age 21, he will have to choose either AMERICA's or SINGAPORE'S citizenship.

No fines for us, since we are still within the dateline of registration. Do not IGNORE the MINDEF letter.

We want to thank everyone here in this forum for ALL your feedbacks and encouragements.

Our thanks again;)
-
Carps downsouth Louisiana.
In the case of the Belgium Singapore situation - unless they explicitly registered the birth with ICA or a Singapore consulate the child is not a SC.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 8:39 pm

CompassROSE, it was as I suspected, but am surprised you had no fine at all due to the lack of an exit permit since the age of 13. It is good that they will also allow your son deferment until completion of High School. So, all things considered, I'd say your son and the both of you all made out okay. (Okay, he has to serve, but you were already prepared for that). I was more worried about the other problems that could have been either costly or unwieldy. At least you all know exactly where you stand now. That's a good thing.

MV

Post by MV » Thu, 02 Jan 2014 2:02 pm

CompassROSE, thanks for the information. My son just received the letter "Notice for NS Registration". We moved to US since he was a baby. He is a US Citizen and is attending High School in the US now.
I called MINDEF today and the lady on the line took my information and said they will reply in 3-5 days. At first, she requested my son to come back to do a medical checkup.
Your postings have helped me understand this situation. Thanks.
MV.

wbacio

Re: LETTER FROM SINGAPORE MINDEF FREAKING OUT MY WIFE

Post by wbacio » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 4:44 pm

Hi all,

My situation is a little different from CompassRose's. What do you think of this?

1. Mom (myself) is Singaporean. Dad is American. We applied for Singapore citizenship for son at Singapore embassy after he was born in the US.
2. Our son was born in America and we have been living in America since he was born.
3. Son does not have Singaporean passport.
4. I sent letters to Mindef and ICA (when son is 11 years old) stating what I said above and backed it up with paperwork, e.g. my son's American report cards and his birth certificate showing his American citizenship.

Today, I received an email from CMPB basically saying to write to them again when my son is 13 years old.

I don't like playing the waiting game. Do you have any suggestions for what I can do in the meantime?

Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple

Re: LETTER FROM SINGAPORE MINDEF FREAKING OUT MY WIFE

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 4:51 pm

Do what they say. They are civil servants, therefore not capable of using common sense. They have a script they have to follow. Follow their lead up to returning to "have a discussion" as he will be doing NS if that happens. But yes, it is a waiting game but one that must be visited on the son due to bad choices by the parents.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: LETTER FROM SINGAPORE MINDEF FREAKING OUT MY WIFE

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Jul 2016 9:27 pm

wbacio wrote: 1. Mom (myself) is Singaporean. Dad is American. We applied for Singapore citizenship for son at Singapore embassy after he was born in the US. .
So you did make him a citizen of Singapore.

I don't like playing the waiting game. Do you have any suggestions for what I can do in the meantime?
Just wait, as SMS said.