Singapore Expats

Appointment to submit PR application - No more slots?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
trendem

Appointment to submit PR application - No more slots?

Post by trendem » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:12 am

Hi all, I'm new to this forum. :)

Anyway, I have a question/problem - I have recently decided to apply for PR, and have gotten all my papers in order. But when I tried to book an appointment slot to submit my application on the e-appointment website, it appears that there are no more slots in the next 6 months! The next available date is in April 2014.

Is this usual or is something wrong with the system? I didn't realise that I would have to wait 7 months just to submit my PR application. It certainly means that my EP will expire before my application gets approved (if it gets approved)... Does anyone have any advice on how I can submit my application sooner?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Appointment to submit PR application - No more slots?

Post by the lynx » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:18 am

trendem wrote:Hi all, I'm new to this forum. :)

Anyway, I have a question/problem - I have recently decided to apply for PR, and have gotten all my papers in order. But when I tried to book an appointment slot to submit my application on the e-appointment website, it appears that there are no more slots in the next 6 months! The next available date is in April 2014.

Is this usual or is something wrong with the system? I didn't realise that I would have to wait 7 months just to submit my PR application. It certainly means that my EP will expire before my application gets approved (if it gets approved)... Does anyone have any advice on how I can submit my application sooner?
Yes. PR slots are VERY popular. That shows how desperate many people are these days to get PR status. Not saying that you're one of them but there have been a HUGE number of people from third-world and developing countries who are desperate to leave the rot and hop into this utopia.

On a less cynic note, you can try check every day for an earlier slot, usually released by PR applicant who decided to change his mind at the last minute, hence freeing up a slot.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:35 am

Also be advised that you can only change your appoint slot one time. After that you will be put at the end of the queue.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:40 am

Two times actually.

After that, you're no longer "allowed to change any more".

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:50 am

Another reason for the longer wait times could be shortage of staff. Since now the policy has change from pro-foreigner to anti-foreigner, they might have decided to move like half of the staff for its citizen's services instead. :)

Like I mentioned earlier, the experience at MoM workpass division at Riverwalk, now isn't like how it used to be couple of years ago.

I actually wouldn't be surprised, if tomorrow they come out and suddenly announce that they have completely stopped accepting PR applications until further notice.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:16 pm

From my recent experience with LTVP, if you can't book an online appointment, you can go and be a 'Walk-in' (IIRC you 'book' a walk-in ticket, check-in on arrival, and get seen when pre-booked people don't show). However they clearly actively discourage this option, by making you wait several hours though...

p.s. I am imagining that this procedural route is also available for PR application. But you'd need to confirm that.

Edit to add: As I recall you have to turn up at some insanely early hour, like 7am, get your lucky-dip walk-in ticket, and then just want.... and wait ...
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 1:28 pm

Wd40 wrote:Like I mentioned earlier, the experience at MoM workpass division at Riverwalk, now isn't like how it used to be couple of years ago.
What happened? No more 5-star hotel services?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 2:04 pm

the lynx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Like I mentioned earlier, the experience at MoM workpass division at Riverwalk, now isn't like how it used to be couple of years ago.
They treated us, with angry faces, just like how the immigration officers at an American airports do.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 2:18 pm

Wd40 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
They treated us, with angry faces, just like how the immigration officers at an American airports do.
And I thought only the ones at those horse stables in the Tanjung Pagar MOM office are angry...

trendem

Post by trendem » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 2:40 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys!

JR8 - How likely is it that you would be granted a slot just by walking in? Do people often not show up for their appointments?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 2:48 pm

During the 2008 financial crisis, there was a mad rush to apply for PRs and then people would form long queues outside since they cant afford to wait for 2 months to apply for PR. In those days PRs were granted very quickly.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 4:57 pm

Wd40 wrote:Another reason for the longer wait times could be shortage of staff. Since now the policy has change from pro-foreigner to anti-foreigner, they might have decided to move like half of the staff for its citizen's services instead. :)

Sometimes when I read thru your posting, I am not sure whether too laugh it off or to be angry at it. You are making this up aren't you ?

Like I mentioned earlier, the experience at MoM workpass division at Riverwalk, now isn't like how it used to be couple of years ago.

I actually wouldn't be surprised, if tomorrow they come out and suddenly announce that they have completely stopped accepting PR applications until further notice.

This is a beat up , eh ? I am not sure what is your problem/s but it seems nothing is pleasing to you about SG Inc ? If there is so much anger in you why stay in SG?
I am just curious as many of your postings have no kind words about SG Inc. C'mon let it out
There is a different between providing feedback and being anal.

The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:22 pm

trendem wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys!

JR8 - How likely is it that you would be granted a slot just by walking in? Do people often not show up for their appointments?

I faced the same conundrum as you, I could only make an e-appointment for visa issuance, but the e-appointment system had no availability before my non-extendable SVP expired. So I e-mailed them, and I asked them what to do.

Trendem ... you will get seen if you follow this procedure, but you can expect to sit around for hours, and hours, in the living hell that is ICA, Kallang Road... :cry: :roll:

My e-mailed question:
------------------------
'Dear Sirs,

I applied for an LTVP, and it has been In-Principle approved.

I am currently on an SVP that expires on [x/y].

To complete formalities, and collect my LTVP I need to make an online appointment. But there is no availability at all, prior to [x/y + several weeks].

Can you advise if I can extend my SVP online, in order that I can then book an available appointment online?
[*] Otherwise, what do I do?'[/i][/color]
-------------------

----- Reply (about two days later) -----

--------------------
'Dear Sir/Madam,

Reference to your email dated xx/yy/2013

We have noted your concern and all our e appts are fully booked, however base on the expiry of svp pass you may wish to come in person and request for a "walk-in" queue number for the Completion of Formalities, on
xx/yy/2013 or xx+1/yy/2013 @0800-900am.

Do remember to come with the approval letter and all the required documents (original and photocopy) and forms (duly completed and signed).

Also, please note that the waiting time is expected to be longer for walk-in customers, as priority will be given to e-appointment holders. Do note that the collection of the Long-Term Visit Pass may or may not be on the same day.

Please print this email for reference.

-------------------------

HTH

[*] Yes, I detect some subtle facetiousness at this point. I was imagining having to physically go to ICA to extend my SVP, in order to be permitted to return home and make an e-appointment application for my LTVP.
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:25 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Another reason for the longer wait times could be shortage of staff. Since now the policy has change from pro-foreigner to anti-foreigner, they might have decided to move like half of the staff for its citizen's services instead. :)

Sometimes when I read thru your posting, I am not sure whether too laugh it off or to be angry at it. You are making this up aren't you ?

Read my comment again. "Could be" and "might have" are the key words there.

This is a beat up , eh ? I am not sure what is your problem/s but it seems nothing is pleasing to you about SG Inc ? If there is so much anger in you why stay in SG?
I am just curious as many of your postings have no kind words about SG Inc. C'mon let it out
There is a different between providing feedback and being anal.

What gave you the impression that nothing is pleasing me here? I have a job, I am making good money. My family loves it here. We love it here.
My comments were just a reflection of how much anti foreigner Singapore has become, nothing personal. I dont understand what got you aggravated so much.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:38 pm

There is no aggro in me. I tend to stay away from getting into muddy waters but I am curious about you hence my ques.
I have read many of your postings and replies to many posters hence my conclusion that something is amiss.
Anti foreigner sentiment is not only happening in SG .It is widespread .
Go to OZ, Sweden, even in UK. This is what you get when you are working in a foreign land.
Take in on the chin and move on
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!