Singapore Expats Forum

Singaporeans face potential charges for racism in Australia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:43 pm

BoroBoy wrote:I agree the news papers manipulated it and put in all the crap about Caucasians being turned away. Complete garbage journalism but it doesnt change the fundamentals.

I think that is an <I>and</I> condition not an <I>or</I> condition, but even if its not I think this falls into the public definition because it wasnt an 'invite only' event. It was a privately paid for event that was open to <B>public registration</B>. If the singapore embassy had sent invitations to 10k people on its list then that would have not been racist. Inviting the public to register but denying based on nationality is racist.

Are you talking about ethics or legalities?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:48 pm

BoroBoy wrote:ok, replace 'public place' with 'place' the point is still valid because the registrations were open to the public.

Its not like a wedding, because you invite people at a wedding. As I said, in my non-expert opinion - if the singapore embassy had invited the people on its books then there would be no issue. The issue is they restricted public registration based on nationality.


The embassy invite Singaporean people 'on their books'
It is not intended for walk-in non SGns, with no connection
It is not open-invite, it is a private event
As a courtesy non-SGn friends of SGns are welcome
It is a private party, aimed at SGns, but which welcomes all, via their friends/family.
Got it?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 7:05 pm

JR8 wrote:
BoroBoy wrote:ok, replace 'public place' with 'place' the point is still valid because the registrations were open to the public.

Its not like a wedding, because you invite people at a wedding. As I said, in my non-expert opinion - if the singapore embassy had invited the people on its books then there would be no issue. The issue is they restricted public registration based on nationality.


The embassy invite Singaporean people 'on their books'
It is not intended for walk-in non SGns, with no connection
It is not open-invite, it is a private event
As a courtesy non-SGn friends of SGns are welcome
It is a private party, aimed at SGns, but which welcomes all, via their friends/family.
Got it?


But I thought they had a web page with open registration?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 7:29 pm

zzm9980 wrote:But I thought they had a web page with open registration?



So link it.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri, 27 Mar 2009

Postby BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 7:48 pm

JR8 wrote:
BoroBoy wrote:ok, replace 'public place' with 'place' the point is still valid because the registrations were open to the public.

Its not like a wedding, because you invite people at a wedding. As I said, in my non-expert opinion - if the singapore embassy had invited the people on its books then there would be no issue. The issue is they restricted public registration based on nationality.


The embassy invite Singaporean people 'on their books'
It is not intended for walk-in non SGns, with no connection
It is not open-invite, it is a private event
As a courtesy non-SGn friends of SGns are welcome
It is a private party, aimed at SGns, but which welcomes all, via their friends/family.
Got it?


By 'Got it' I will kindly assume you are asking whether I understand you and not using it as a rhetorical question where you are forcing your point of view on me as you would a child or a subordinate.

If you are asking whether I agree with you, then no I dont. If you were asking me if I understand your point, then yes I do but I dont think what you have said is accurate. The fact is there was a open public registration page that restricted registration based on nationality (https://app.singaporeday.gov.sg/registration.aspx). That is what I am against.

What if the KKK hired out the botanical gardens put up a registration page but you had to agree you were white before they would let you register? Its racist.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 8:23 pm

BoroBoy wrote:By 'Got it' I will kindly assume you are asking whether I understand you and not using it as a rhetorical question where you are forcing your point of view on me as you would a child or a subordinate.

If you are asking whether I agree with you, then no I dont. If you were asking me if I understand your point, then yes I do but I dont think what you have said is accurate. The fact is there was a open public registration page that restricted registration based on nationality (https://app.singaporeday.gov.sg/registration.aspx). That is what I am against.

What if the KKK hired out the botanical gardens put up a registration page but you had to agree you were white before they would let you register? Its racist.



Of course it was a rhetorical statement: I'm trying to jolt you with some reality, and invite you to point out where you think my opinion is wrong.

Anyway you got your answer re the intent of those government funded freebie days.

If you don't like it, complain to the government. Oh, and let us know how you get on with that eh. Here, I'll propose a starter template for you...

------------------
'I BoroBoy
IC# abcdefg
Address, block # etc

I write to protest and oppose, government policy XZY. Because ...
-------------------

Simple enough eh? Please post the completed version, so we can observe and assist.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri, 27 Mar 2009

Postby BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 8:39 pm

JR8 wrote:
BoroBoy wrote:By 'Got it' I will kindly assume you are asking whether I understand you and not using it as a rhetorical question where you are forcing your point of view on me as you would a child or a subordinate.

If you are asking whether I agree with you, then no I dont. If you were asking me if I understand your point, then yes I do but I dont think what you have said is accurate. The fact is there was a open public registration page that restricted registration based on nationality (https://app.singaporeday.gov.sg/registration.aspx). That is what I am against.

What if the KKK hired out the botanical gardens put up a registration page but you had to agree you were white before they would let you register? Its racist.



Of course it was a rhetorical statement: I'm trying to jolt you with some reality, and invite you to point out where you think my opinion is wrong.

Anyway you got your answer re the intent of those government funded freebie days.

If you don't like it, complain to the government. Oh, and let us know how you get on with that eh. Here, I'll propose a starter template for you...

------------------
'I BoroBoy
IC# abcdefg
Address, block # etc

I write to protest and oppose, government policy XZY. Because ...
-------------------

Simple enough eh? Please post the completed version, so we can observe and assist.


I guess if I wanted to complain to the authorities then I should complain to the Australian authorities. However, I dont care enough to do that. This is a forum where people offer their alternative opinions and discuss. Just because I have a strong argument does not mean I now have to progress and lodge my opinion with a government or legal office. :-)

If this was an event in Singapore I would be quiet and suck it up. Many a time I have read and heard 'this is singapore we have our rules, if you dont like it then leave.' Thats fine, I agree its their country so they should make the rules and I am happy to participate on their terms and would not complain to their government about how they chose to run their country. But, this is Australia, if you dont like their rules and laws and aren't willing to participate on their terms dont hold events there.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 8:43 pm

JR8 wrote:
BoroBoy wrote:By 'Got it' I will kindly assume you are asking whether I understand you and not using it as a rhetorical question where you are forcing your point of view on me as you would a child or a subordinate.

If you are asking whether I agree with you, then no I dont. If you were asking me if I understand your point, then yes I do but I dont think what you have said is accurate. The fact is there was a open public registration page that restricted registration based on nationality (https://app.singaporeday.gov.sg/registration.aspx). That is what I am against.

What if the KKK hired out the botanical gardens put up a registration page but you had to agree you were white before they would let you register? Its racist.



Of course it was a rhetorical statement: I'm trying to jolt you with some reality, and invite you to point out where you think my opinion is wrong.

Anyway you got your answer re the intent of those government funded freebie days.

If you don't like it, complain to the government. Oh, and let us know how you get on with that eh. Here, I'll propose a starter template for you...

------------------
'I BoroBoy
IC# abcdefg
Address, block # etc

I write to protest and oppose, government policy XZY. Because ...
-------------------

Simple enough eh? Please post the completed version, so we can observe and assist.


In this case, its not your/our gahmen. Its a 3rd party. You are in Australia and you are complaining as an Australian.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 8:51 pm

BoroBoy wrote: But, this is Australia, if you dont like their rules and laws and aren't willing to participate on their terms dont hold events there.


Which bit of holding a private party, is in breach of 'their terms'?

Come on... which... which...

Please be precise, in your reply.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri, 27 Mar 2009

Postby BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:02 pm

JR8 wrote:
BoroBoy wrote: But, this is Australia, if you dont like their rules and laws and aren't willing to participate on their terms dont hold events there.


Which bit of holding a private party, is in breach of 'their terms'?

Come on... which... which...

Please be precise, in your reply.


I am arguing that is was not a true private party because they opened it up for public registration and restricted registration based on nationality and directly contravened section 3.2.2 of the race discrimination act.

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/federal-d ... -act#3_2_2

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:33 pm

...
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri, 27 Mar 2009

Postby BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:52 pm

JR8 wrote:I think it's at this point, only lifetime unreconciled (he hasn't met your Catholic mother) faggots still choose to bear a grudge.

You know... [nodding]


I dont actually know what that means. Its probably an insult or maybe you are conceding. Either is fine.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:57 pm

If you're really pissed off, how some private venues are treating people... can you contact them please. Have the discussion? Not sure if anyone here knows who you are, or cares...

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri, 27 Mar 2009

Postby BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:42 pm

JR8 wrote:If you're really pissed off, how some private venues are treating people... can you contact them please. Have the discussion?


Nope not pissed off, I already said I dont care that much. I just said my opinion then followed up on the quoted questions. Its a forum thats how it works.

JR8 wrote:Not sure if anyone here knows who you are, or cares...

I dont really see how that is related, but I would never be as presumptuous to think that anyone on a forum cares who I am.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sun, 16 Jun 2013

Postby Chantikki » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:31 am

BoroBoy wrote:
JR8 wrote:If you're really pissed off, how some private venues are treating people... can you contact them please. Have the discussion?


Nope not pissed off, I already said I dont care that much. I just said my opinion then followed up on the quoted questions. Its a forum thats how it works.

JR8 wrote:Not sure if anyone here knows who you are, or cares...

I dont really see how that is related, but I would never be as presumptuous to think that anyone on a forum cares who I am.


IMO, laws are completely worthless if you can't apply commonsense, decency and tolerance to the situation. Nit picking at "rules" and trying to paint every single public or private event with one brush is silly. You have to also take into account the purpose of the event and other factors, not just blindly follow rules. There are often different interpretations of rules and situations.

IMO it was just a slow news day in AU and the whole thing just blew over in Australia after the actual facts were heard.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests