Singapore Expats

Singaporeans face potential charges for racism in Australia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 1:14 pm

Okay Lah! Lets just agree to disagree. You don't see the difference, I see them as different.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 1:24 pm

'Furry muff'*

and onwards ho! :wink:

* For any foreign Jonnys, that's a play on 'Fair enough'.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 1:51 pm

This is all technical (joyful traps of overblown political correctness). If he says on his FB page "only Indians allowed" and this page is public - this, according to what I quoted would be IMHO illegal.
If he says, "only for my friends", this would be legal even if 100% of his friends are Indians and you are chased away based on your race from his door steps (as long as this is not public).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 2:00 pm

Precisely.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:14 pm

What a complete bollocks !!
Which part of the invitation did anyone NOT understand ?
This was sanctioned by the SG Gahmen !!. We were there !!
Completely private hence it is within our rights as host.
You guys are flogging something that is not even worth to flog
Sure there will always be goons that are not pleased with something but yet again since when you can please everyone.
I read with dismay and what a pathetic arguments about racism and nationality got to do with this.
We have lawyers , intellects and many more there. Even the officials are there and not an issue about mumbo jumbo racism or all that craps.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:17 pm

Mad Scientist wrote: You guys are flogging something that is not even worth to flog
I don't know; that Anthony Sim bloke seems to be the type people would want to throw into the bush.

I know I would but I'm thinking if the cost of petrol and duct tape is worth it.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:33 pm

singapore is institutionally racist, or at least in a minor sense, so i understand why they dont get this.

Yes it was a private event but in a public place and registration was restricted to singaporeans. If you said that you werent a singaporean then you couldnt register for a ticket.

Imagine a private car hire firm in Australia saying that you could only book them if you hold an Australian passport...

The UN's definition of racism is :
<I>"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or <B>national</B> or ethnic <B>origin</B> that has the purpose or effect of <B>nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment</B> or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, <B>social, cultural</B> or any other field of public life"</I>

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:42 pm

BoroBoy wrote:singapore is institutionally racist, or at least in a minor sense, so i understand why they dont get this.

Yes it was a private event but in a public place and registration was restricted to singaporeans. If you said that you werent a singaporean then you couldnt register for a ticket.

But I am a ex Sger and I managed to register !! So do many of us which were ex Sgers. Were you there ?
Naks : I do not know who this Anthony guy and I do not give sh*t about him. There will always be goons like him.
I will do it for free on him with the least inconvenience
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:46 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
BoroBoy wrote:singapore is institutionally racist, or at least in a minor sense, so i understand why they dont get this.

But I am a ex Sger and I managed to register !! So do many of us which were ex Sgers. Were you there ?
Naks : I do not know who this Anthony guy and I do not give sh*t about him. There will always be goons like him.
I will do it for free on him with the least inconvenience
MS I has yet to experience the full force of PC in Australia :)

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:09 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:

Were you asked any questions about your nationality or status in Singapore when you registered?

If you were not asked anything that could be used to determine your Singaporean-ness then I apologise and you are correct because it was open to anyone.

If you were asked (and I read that this was part of the registration criteria), then my point is valid.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:09 pm

Imagine a private car hire firm in Australia saying that you could only book them if you hold an Australian passport...

<I>"the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference based on race, colour, descent, or <B>national</B> or ethnic <B>origin</B> that has the purpose or effect of <B>nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment</B> or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, <B>social, cultural</B> or any other field of public life"</I>
Even UN uses that condition so I really don't get what is this fuss about. More even if it was via registration and clearly not for Singaporeans only. TBF, I would be more interested to know why it was so manipulated by the newspaper and perhaps some other media.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:28 pm

x9200 wrote:

Even UN uses that condition so I really don't get what is this fuss about. More even if it was via registration and clearly not for Singaporeans only. TBF, I would be more interested to know why it was so manipulated by the newspaper and perhaps some other media.
I agree the news papers manipulated it and put in all the crap about Caucasians being turned away. Complete garbage journalism but it doesnt change the fundamentals.

I think that is an <I>and</I> condition not an <I>or</I> condition, but even if its not I think this falls into the public definition because it wasnt an 'invite only' event. It was a privately paid for event that was open to <B>public registration</B>. If the singapore embassy had sent invitations to 10k people on its list then that would have not been racist. Inviting the public to register but denying based on nationality is racist.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:32 pm

It's not in a 'public place'.

It's like having your wedding and reception in the reception hall at Taronga Zoo in Sydney. The zoo is public during opening hours: But your space - for the period you've hired it is entirely private.

You're not a guest? - you can't come in.

Right?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:42 pm

Or do you plan your wedding reception, and hire their hall. Beautiful views over the bay, free booze, loadsa birds.

And me and the rest of the crew have a human right to turn up and be granted entry?

I mean you demand that it is in a public place, right?
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 6:42 pm

JR8 wrote:

It's not in a 'public place'.

It's like having your wedding and reception in the reception hall at Taronga Zoo in Sydney. The zoo is public during opening hours: But your space - for the period you've hired it is entirely private.

You're not a guest? - you can't come in.

Right?
ok, replace 'public place' with 'place' the point is still valid because the registrations were open to the public.

Its not like a wedding, because you invite people at a wedding. As I said, in my non-expert opinion - if the singapore embassy had invited the people on its books then there would be no issue. The issue is they restricted public registration based on nationality.