Singapore Expats

Singaporeans face potential charges for racism in Australia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:22 am

x9200 wrote:Leaving aside whether we can call it discrimination just because it is under specific legal act, I made this small effort to dig this one up:

RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 18C
Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic origin
(1) It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:
[..]
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), an act is taken not to be done in private if it:
(a) causes words, sounds, images or writing to be communicated to the public; or
(b) is done in a public place; or
(c) is done in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place.

So it is purely technical offense (if any) and I think no reason to get too excited.
If they did it in some building they would be perfectly legal.
The offence is under (c). They just need to make it a pre-registration invite only party next time. Like a wedding in the gardens.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:25 am

Incorrect. It is not Offensive Behaviour, as it is in private. :P

PNGMK: 'They just need to make it a pre-registration invite only party next time. Like a wedding in the gardens.'

It most definitely already is! Can you imagine a SGn gahmen event like that not requiring pre-registration? Thousands turn up at these days out, maybe 10,000 during a day ... they are planned like a military exercise. People with no connection to SG are certainly not invited, or welcome.

p.s. To clarify. Being a GF/BF/fiance/fiancee or even simply 'friend' of a Singaporean, is enough to get in on a pre-registered invite. But being a walk-up stranger? You've as much chance of getting into the Versace show at Fashion Week -and shock - it's not race-related.
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 9:55 am

I think an Oppie managed to go and found something to whinge about, nothing more. It seems like all protocol was done correctly and the "hoards" of Caucasians sounded like typical yabbos and not like the rare Singaporean Caucasian which are as rare as hens teeth in Singapore, let alone running around out in the wild in Australia.

The Singaporean agitator should be hung out to dry, nothing more, as he's an agitator trying to gain points like that Gilbert Goh guy who's an Aus PR and is currently living in Aus. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if it were he who made the complaint/statement in the first place.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:01 am

JR8 wrote:Incorrect. It is not Offensive Behaviour, as it is in private. :P

PNGMK: 'They just need to make it a pre-registration invite only party next time. Like a wedding in the gardens.'

It most definitely already is! Can you imagine a SGn gahmen event like that not requiring pre-registration? Thousands turn up at these days out, maybe 10,000 during a day ... they are planned like a military exercise. People with no connection to SG are certainly not invited, or welcome.
I think as per (2)(c) (or (b) ), the action is not "in private", because it is in a public place, and/or in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place. They will need to do it in a non-public place next time, such as an expo hall, a hotel function room or the like.

I am not too firm on the Australian anti-discrimination laws, but I find it doubtful that even then they would get away with making it a Singaporean-only event officially. I guess they will just have to make it an "invite only" event next time, and then just invite all Singaporeans that are there personally.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:08 am

No matter what, it seems to be like a private event. That's all. What's the hoo-haa all about?

And that "no Pinoy, Bangla, PRC, India Indian" commentator should just remain in Singapore and never bother to set root in Australia anyway. Hypocrite.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:19 am

AngMoG wrote: I guess they will just have to make it an "invite only" event next time, and then just invite all Singaporeans that are there personally.
[losing will to live ;] It is [/]

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:24 am

Its not a private event. I read the comments section of the article. Invite to the event was by registration on a website. When non-SGns tried to register, it didnt allow them and the basis was nationality. The key thing is the descrimination was on the basis of nationality and nothing else. That is a violation of law.

Its just like renting out your house and placing an ad that Non Australians are not allowed to rent. Its your private house, but you are descriminating on the basis of nationality.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:36 am

Wd40 wrote:Its just like renting out your house and placing an ad that Non Australians are not allowed to rent. Its your private house, but you are descriminating on the basis of nationality.
I disagree, it's like having a dinner party, say to celebrate Deepavali, and only planning and budgeting for your Indian friends (plus their family/guests of any nationality/race), to attend.

Would that be considered racist in Australia too?

p.s.
Wd40 wrote: Its not a private event. I read the comments section of the article. Invite to the event was by registration on a website
You register, to apply for tickets. It not a given you will be invited.

The whole shtick here seems to a perception by a few, that the event should have been open to the public. It's as fanciful as saying if the Rolling Stones play Hyde Park (again) it should be open to the public. It wouldn't be, you'd need a ticket, as it is a private event.

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:45 am

Wd40 wrote:Its not a private event. I read the comments section of the article. Invite to the event was by registration on a website. When non-SGns tried to register, it didnt allow them and the basis was nationality. The key thing is the descrimination was on the basis of nationality and nothing else. That is a violation of law.

Its just like renting out your house and placing an ad that Non Australians are not allowed to rent. Its your private house, but you are descriminating on the basis of nationality.
I read the Facebook page about a month ago, it said it was for Singaporeans and that Singaporeans are free to invite Australian guests, just register, print your e-tickets and bring photo ID. Probably more to do with catering of chicken rice than anything else. It's just plain commonsense.

The guy who rocked up without a ticket said he saw the event online and thought it looked really interesting. He's obviously illiterate or purposely rocked up without a ticket to cause trouble.

Edited because I checked and it said "bring your Singaporean friends"
https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeDay
https://app.singaporeday.gov.sg/index.html
Last edited by Chantikki on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:01 am

JR8 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Its just like renting out your house and placing an ad that Non Australians are not allowed to rent. Its your private house, but you are descriminating on the basis of nationality.
I disagree, it's like having a dinner party, say to celebrate Deepavali, and only planning and budgeting for your Indian friends (plus their family/guests of any nationality/race), to attend.

Would that be considered racist in Australia too?

p.s.
Wd40 wrote: Its not a private event. I read the comments section of the article. Invite to the event was by registration on a website
You register, to apply for tickets. It not a given you will be invited.

The whole shtick here seems to a perception by a few, that the event should have been open to the public. It's as fanciful as saying if the Rolling Stones play Hyde Park (again) it should be open to the public. It wouldn't be, you'd need a ticket, as it is a private event.
Well, here's the difference: If you want have a private diwali party, you personally invite your guests. You don't create a website that is open to the public and then allow/deny people to get tickets based on nationality/race. If you do that, then yes it is racist in Australia.

Your example of Rolling Stones play at Hyde Park is also a wrong example. How about, you are allowed or denied to the Rolling Stones show based on your nationality/race and not just your ability to afford the ticket?

Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:17 am

Check it out, the kids can go to a school class, to see how much Singaporean schools have improved... :p

ImageImage

eh... how to insert images :(

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:23 am

Chantikki wrote: I read the Facebook page about a month ago, it said it was for Singaporeans and that Singaporeans are free to invite Australian guests, just register, print your e-tickets and bring photo ID. Probably more to do with catering of chicken rice than anything else. It's just plain commonsense.

The guy who rocked up without a ticket said he saw the event online and thought it looked really interesting. He's obviously illiterate or purposely rocked up without a ticket to cause trouble.
Exactly.

Bottom line, it's a private event, and once inside everything, F+B, entertainment, your initial entry etc is free of charge.

p.s. For the proposition of 'right of access' to stand, one would have to accept that open-air concerts are illegal in Australia. Furthermore, do you think no one standing outside a stadium can hear AC/DC playing a gig inside? Yeah right ... Phhh ...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:04 pm

Wd40 wrote: Well, here's the difference: If you want have a private diwali party, you personally invite your guests. You don't create a website that is open to the public and then allow/deny people to get tickets based on nationality/race. If you do that, then yes it is racist in Australia.

Your example of Rolling Stones play at Hyde Park is also a wrong example. How about, you are allowed or denied to the Rolling Stones show based on your nationality/race and not just your ability to afford the ticket?

So in Australia, you can't invite a group of mates over, by posting an invite on Facebook? To do so, without it being an open invite to the world would be illegal (somehow). That is what you seem to be suggesting.

The Stones would play Hyde Park to make as much money as possible.

The SG gahmen roadshows are targeted at SGns to coax SGns home. They are private, by invite, affairs. What are you suggesting, all exhibitions, all private galley-views, all 'A-list' club-nights should be free for all?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 12:09 pm

I think I didn't make myself clear in my earlier post regarding the Rolling Stones show. I didn't mean tickets should be given for free, if you read again, I mentioned, the criteria for giving out the tickets should only be affordability and not nationality.

Inviting a group of friends over a facebook page is different from allowing anyone who is SGn but denying anyone is not.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 1:03 pm

Wd40 wrote:I think I didn't make myself clear in my earlier post regarding the Rolling Stones show. I didn't mean tickets should be given for free, if you read again, I mentioned, the criteria for giving out the tickets should only be affordability and not nationality.

Inviting a group of friends over a facebook page is different from allowing anyone who is SGn but denying anyone is not.
I disagree with your latter point, as it appears illogical.

Why is it different? And if it's different, what delineates the difference?

As it is you're saying, you can promote a party on your Facebook page, targeted solely at your Indian friends.

But the government, can't promote an invitational event, aimed not at a single race, but at their whole nationality + friends?

Spot the disconnect!