Singapore Expats

Singaporeans face potential charges for racism in Australia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Chantikki
Regular
Regular

Post by Chantikki » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:35 am

zzm9980 wrote:Legal or not, just imagine the irony if the PRC or Indian embassy rented out and closed off a huge portion of Gardens by the Bay (the closest analogy to Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens I can think of given the prime location and prominence of both) for an event with the sole intention of fostering an immigrant community's sense of unity and discouraging outsiders from integrating. I'm rather sure what I described *is* against the law in Singapore.
I don't know if it's against the law but I wouldn't consider it racist, I'd consider it nice. I know the indonesian embassy puts on things from time to time for their citizens and I think it's lovely that they can go and share in their culture and have a little taste of "home" now and again. It's a good thing to have a connection and some pride in your country of origin. One of the great things about immigrants is that they bring to the new country new ideas, foods and ways of doing things etc.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:52 am

Chantikki wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I'm rather sure what I described *is* against the law in Singapore.
I don't know if it's against the law but I wouldn't consider it racist, I'd consider it nice. I know the indonesian embassy puts on things from time to time for their citizens and I think it's lovely that they can go and share in their culture and have a little taste of "home" now and again. It's a good thing to have a connection and some pride in your country of origin. One of the great things about immigrants is that they bring to the new country new ideas, foods and ways of doing things etc.
@ZZM, but where do you see the relevance when these events only occur abroad? For example, smoking cannabis is illegal in large parts of the world, but you are at liberty to go to Amsterdam and smoke it.
---

I think it hinges on the definition of 'public place'. If an events promoter pays to fence off an area of an otherwise 'public place', to hold a private event, that area is no longer public for the duration.

Consider the 'public' parks in London. They have railings around. All the gates are locked at IIRC 11pm, after which time it's not 'public'. Should one be demanding some misguided right to be roving Kensington Gardens at 3am? Hmmm ... I suspect the police would be on you like a shot (given some of the VVVIP neighbours down that way).

Even such parks have owners (probably the Crown Estate), they are not somehow 'public land'. The closest to public land in the UK might be rural village greens...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 10:27 am

JR8 wrote: @ZZM, but where do you see the relevance when these events only occur abroad? For example, smoking cannabis is illegal in large parts of the world, but you are at liberty to go to Amsterdam and smoke it.
---

I think it hinges on the definition of 'public place'. If an events promoter pays to fence off an area of an otherwise 'public place', to hold a private event, that area is no longer public for the duration.

Consider the 'public' parks in London. They have railings around. All the gates are locked at IIRC 11pm, after which time it's not 'public'. Should one be demanding some misguided right to be roving Kensington Gardens at 3am? Hmmm ... I suspect the police would be on you like a shot (given some of the VVVIP neighbours down that way).

Even such parks have owners (probably the Crown Estate), they are not somehow 'public land'. The closest to public land in the UK might be rural village greens...
+1 .. recently closer to home, a similiar whining match happened, at a private event held in a club/bar, where some european wanted to gate crash, because the place had a bit of gathering of chicks .. too bad. . the organisers told him they are more than happy to call the cops and adviced him you don't gate crash when it says "PRIVATE" .. and even though others were allowed in, this guy was singled out by the bouncers and told off .. .. it was pretty funny ... to see the huffing and puffing going on ..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:22 am

JR8 wrote:
Chantikki wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I'm rather sure what I described *is* against the law in Singapore.
@ZZM, but where do you see the relevance when these events only occur abroad? For example, smoking cannabis is illegal in large parts of the world, but you are at liberty to go to Amsterdam and smoke it.
---
The relevance is the irony because Singapore strives to force integration as much as possible.

By your example, it would be similar if CNB officials all went to Amsterdam (or Denver now ha), smoked up publicly, then waited until they detoxed and came back to Singapore. It's entirely legal, but a bit ironic.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:23 am

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: But I thought they had a web page with open registration?

So link it.
:roll:

https://www.facebook.com/SingaporeDay

Scroll down to the (public) post on October 11th, that says "It's not too late to register!" There is a link in the comments.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:25 am

I still think it is a precisely harmless event blown out of proportions.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 11:32 am

And btw, I don't really care so much if it's illegal or not in Australia. I am just amused at the irony.

Can you imagine the outrage on stomp or whatever if there was a 'PRC' or 'Pinoy' day just like this hosted in Singapore somewhere? Or if non-Americans would have been forbidden from the July 4th celebration at SAS in Woodlands?

Q: Who can attend Singapore Day?
A:
Singapore Day is an exclusive event for Singaporeans and their families.

Q: Why is Singapore Day an event for Singaporeans only?
A:
Singapore Day aims to bring a slice of home to Singaporeans abroad so as to emotionally connect them back to Singapore. It is also an event to galvanise the Singaporean community so that the sense of identity and belonging remain strong.

Q: Can I bring along my non-Singaporean friends for Singapore Day?
A:
Singapore Day is an event organised exclusively for Singaporeans and their families.
Then, from:
http://app.nationalintegrationcouncil.org.sg/
Singapore’s approach to integration does not demand that new immigrants abandon their own beliefs and culture. Rather, we expect them to share commonalities, values and experiences with fellow Singaporeans so that we can all work together to achieve our aspirations and build the best home for ourselves and our children.
They should be shipping SPGs to Bondi Beach to try and increase low birth-rate!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:03 pm

A 'peens day in Singapore? Can you just imagine? Look at the storm that arose when Jollibee opened here and that was open to the public! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 12:29 pm

Lol...

Well your links show it. It's a private event. It's not targeting non-SGns.

Does this resolve the debate?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 1:16 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A 'peens day in Singapore? Can you just imagine? Look at the storm that arose when Jollibee opened here and that was open to the public! :lol:
heck, and add the ongoing noise for one RC thinking of a Filipino Working group .. (though there are working groups for Indians, Chinese, Malays .. )

eastcoastsg

Re: Singaporeans face potential charges for racism in Austra

Post by eastcoastsg » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 2:23 pm

Anthony Sim, who attended the event and then blogged about it online , wrote that he had never seen so many Singaporeans congregating in the one place.

"It is quite heartwarming to know we are not alone. Everyone of us were on the same page," he wrote.

"There were no PRCs, India Indians, Bangla or Pinoys to annoy us." he also wrote.
This poor bloke's little version of "Bugger off, we're full?" :roll:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:53 pm

JR8 wrote:Lol...

Well your links show it. It's a private event. It's not targeting non-SGns.

Does this resolve the debate?
Oh, I wasn't debating. I was just expressing amazement at the hypocrisy. I'm even more amazed at myself honestly for being amazed. I should fully expect it.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A 'peens day in Singapore? Can you just imagine? Look at the storm that arose when Jollibee opened here and that was open to the public! :lol:
my point exactly!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 9:10 am

zzm9980 wrote:
my point exactly!
matter of fact, the PH embassy did organise a Philippines National Day program, and you should have seen the regular hoo-ha .. including some smart ass quoting a piece of law that says ONLY SINGAPORE FLAG CAN BE DISPLAYED PUBLICLY .. etc. etc. and to make it worse, it was in Hong Lim Park and a few nationalist were like that part of the grass patch is 100% only for Singapore programs .. I was really trying hard not to laugh at the screwed up logics ..

Well, for subsequent years the PH embassy toned down the public event and host it in private I was told .. and make the national day as a carnival .. with tickets sold and only those with ticket allowed in .. (or tickets given away free to kababayans .. ) case closed ..

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 10:08 am

From time to time my good lady receives invitations to events organised by the Spanish embassy at various locations and I am also invited along as her spouse. As long as I don't mention Gibraltar (:twisted:) everything goes well and they are normally very enjoyable affairs. These are 'private events', even though on occasion the location might normally be considered a 'public' one. To my mind the event in Australia falls into a similar category and I can't quite see what all the fuss was about. Having said that, I do agree with zzm that it is very ironic, given the current situation and culture here.

The depressing (but sadly not unexpected) aspect is the comment by that bigoted Singaporean 'head of Richard' who sadly didn't lose their bigotry despite being given the opportunity to live in a different country.
Be careful what you wish for