Singapore Expats

Do we need to be married to move to Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
scottniblock

Do we need to be married to move to Singapore?

Post by scottniblock » Tue, 15 Oct 2013 2:23 am

Hi Everyone,

We visited Singapore last year on a bit of a tour of the world. We are from Scotland and we loved Singapore. We would like to move there in a couple of years and I have already seen a few ideal jobs. I currently work in the oil industry as an Integrity Engineer and I am in my last year of my degree through night classes at University so I don't see any problems with me getting a job in Singapore. My partner that I have been with for 4 years finished high school but did not go to university. She has her own catering business now but would seel up before the move. When we first get to Singpaore she probably would not work at first until we got settled and she decided what she wanted to do. My question is - would we have to be married for my partner to get a visa or would it be possible for her to get a visa?

Thanks
Scott

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 15 Oct 2013 4:51 am

You'll need to be married or prove (e.g. by a official statement from your home country or embassy) to prove a marriage-like relationship and/or having lived together for some time, to get a DP (dependent's pass, a kind or visa for accompanying partner).
Please note that it's very difficult to get a work visa (EP - employment pass) as a fresh graduate or without a degree. Part-time degrees are not recognised here.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Tue, 15 Oct 2013 8:06 am

Actually, unless it is different for UK citizens, I don't believe a DP is available for non-married couples. We got our "common-law" status certified, but I was only able to get an LTVP. Would have preferred the DP, but that was a "no go."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Do we need to be married to move to Singapore?

Post by JR8 » Tue, 15 Oct 2013 8:57 am

scottniblock wrote: My question is - would we have to be married for my partner to get a visa or would it be possible for her to get a visa?

Yes it's possible, if you make a case that she's a 'common law wife', then she can get an LTVP, and apply for an LTVP+ (i.e. right to stay, but '+' the right to work)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Do we need to be married to move to Singapore?

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 15 Oct 2013 9:03 am

JR8 wrote:
scottniblock wrote: My question is - would we have to be married for my partner to get a visa or would it be possible for her to get a visa?

Yes it's possible, if you make a case that she's a 'common law wife', then she can get an LTVP, and apply for an LTVP+ (i.e. right to stay, but '+' the right to work)
She can't get a + unless married to a SC.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 15 Oct 2013 9:12 am

Ah, interesting. Thx

Edit to add: the details from ICA

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=175&secid=171

'Eligibility for Applications (LTVP/ LTVP - Plus)

Foreign spouse of Singapore Citizen (SC) or Singapore Permanent Resident (SPR) may apply for Long-Term Visit Pass or LTVP in short, online via e-VP

From 1 April 2012, the Long-Term Visit Pass - Plus or LTVP+ in short, provides foreign spouses of SCs with greater certainty of stay here by granting the holder a longer period of residency. LTVP+ holders will be eligible for healthcare and employment benefits. For further details on the LTVP+, please refer to the News Release.

There is no separate application for LTVP+. Foreign spouses of SCs who submit applications for LTVP would automatically be considered for LTVP+ if they are eligible. All applications for a Visit Pass are assessed on their own merits and are subject to approval.

scottniblock

Post by scottniblock » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 3:37 pm

beppi wrote:You'll need to be married or prove (e.g. by a official statement from your home country or embassy) to prove a marriage-like relationship and/or having lived together for some time, to get a DP (dependent's pass, a kind or visa for accompanying partner).
Please note that it's very difficult to get a work visa (EP - employment pass) as a fresh graduate or without a degree. Part-time degrees are not recognised here.
I will be awarded the exact same degree as the day students, Bachelor of Engineering, BEng. I am studying at Robert Gordons University. So this must be rocognised?

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 4:08 pm

You can check with MoM (Ministry of Manpower) if your degree is recognised.
However, as I said, it is currently very difficult to get an EP without applicable work experience.
Last edited by beppi on Wed, 16 Oct 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 4:08 pm

Recognized is one thing, getting a work pass for a new grad is very, very difficult and normally only if the degree is in a highly specialized niche that very few, if any, locals/prs are qualified for. But for a normal BEng, going to be very hard without 3 to 5 years experience. Honestly, I don't see either of you getting an EP easily, married or de facto.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 5:53 pm

Hang in there Scottinblock.

I first attempted to relo alone to Barbados at the age of 13, as an imagined marine biologist, only to be turned down (in the most polite and charming of ways).

Plan/refine/plan/refine ... eventually it comes together :)

scottniblock

MOM Test

Post by scottniblock » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 4:27 am

So I have taken the self assessment test on the MOM site and here is what it says:

Result

Based on the information you have provided, the individual is likely to qualify for both Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass.

So can someone tell me the difference between a Work Pass, an Employement Pass and an S Pass?

Thanks again.

Scott

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 4:41 am

It's grades, of how much they've got your arse

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 3:58 pm

Work Permit is a visa for lowly paid manual labour (usually reserved for third world immigrants), S-Pass for lowly skilled technical personnel (approx. S$2000-4000/month) and Employment Pass (EP) for academics (above S$3000/month).

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: MOM Test

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 5:18 pm

scottniblock wrote:So I have taken the self assessment test on the MOM site and here is what it says:

Result

Based on the information you have provided, the individual is likely to qualify for both Employment Pass (EP) and S Pass.
Scott
That's a good sign, but the best way to interpret the result of the test is that you* are eligible to apply for an Employment Pass. It doesn't mean that you will definitely be granted one. It's at the discretion of the MOM, by reference to many internal criteria that we can only make approximate guesses about.

(* In actual fact it's your potential employer who applies, not you).
scottniblock wrote:So can someone tell me the difference between a Work Pass, an Employement Pass and an S Pass?

Thanks again.

Scott
Here's the best starting point to bone up on all the details:

http://mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/pass ... fault.aspx
Be careful what you wish for

scottniblock

Post by scottniblock » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 3:11 am

So its looking not to bad then. So I wonder if my partner could get a WP then? She has high school education and runs her own cafe at the moment.