Singapore Expats

Do we need to be married to move to Singapore?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 22 Oct 2013 10:27 am

scottniblock wrote:So its looking not to bad then. So I wonder if my partner could get a WP then? She has high school education and runs her own cafe at the moment.
If she runs her own cafe, she would probably look at a supervisor/manager role in F&B here, if she has been doing it at least for a while. In which case, it is more likely to be S-Pass or even EP. For S-Pass in F&B, it can be tough because of the quotas, combined with the fact that few Singaporeans want jobs in that area, and PRs are highly sought after.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 10:36 pm

AngMoG wrote:
scottniblock wrote:So its looking not to bad then. So I wonder if my partner could get a WP then? She has high school education and runs her own cafe at the moment.
If she runs her own cafe, she would probably look at a supervisor/manager role in F&B here, if she has been doing it at least for a while. In which case, it is more likely to be S-Pass or even EP. For S-Pass in F&B, it can be tough because of the quotas, combined with the fact that few Singaporeans want jobs in that area, and PRs are highly sought after.
Really?? Do you REALLY think that an FT with a HS diploma who has "run her own cafe" will have a shot in hell of getting an employment pass in THIS day and age?? Since I've only been here for a year, you may have more info than I, but I think it is a disservice to the OP to give him the idea that his SO (not identified as wife) will be able to get an EP of some sort based on the credentials he's laid forth….

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:32 pm

Frankly I have to agree with uscate on this one as well. I personally don't think she hast a snowball's chance in Hades of getting something like that to fly here, with her qualifications.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Fri, 25 Oct 2013 10:00 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly I have to agree with uscate on this one as well. I personally don't think she hast a snowball's chance in Hades of getting something like that to fly here, with her qualifications.
I was just pointing towards the general kind of position she should probably be looking for, not whether or not she would actually get a pass. There was not much information given on how long she has been running her own cafe, and/or what other work experience she has; though my guess would be it's not a long time, and not a lot of experience.

I don't think she'd get a work pass, so I'd think S-Pass would be the most likely actually (among a couple of overall unlikely possibilities ;) ). EP only if the salary is high enough, though I'd be surprised if the supervisor-in-F&B role isn't something that Singaporeans "should" fill first in the eyes of MoM.