HA wrote:to the OP:
I suppose it also matters if you're a lady or a gent. eg, post a thread here to meet as a guy, and you would be lucky to get any/handful of responses. Post one as a girl, and the floodgates would open.
Simplest principle of supply / demand at work.
That might be what lots of people think, but it's not necessarily true in the online world
. Go somewhere in person.....then, yes, probably much easier for women.
There's a HUGE difference between getting an online response from someone and actually meeting someone. This is typically how things work:
1. Woman* places ad, buddy request, or whatever seeking man
2. Man replies
3. Woman replies back if interested
4. Man replies back and maybe they converse with questions
5. They speak on the phone (or by computer)
6. They agree to meet somewhere
7. They meet
* Could be man placing ad seeking woman, man seeking man or woman seeking woman. Same routine.
Now, usually things fall apart during step 3 or 4. One person doesn't reply and you never hear from them again and you move on. Now, there's nothing wrong with that. It's just how stuff happens.
In other words, it's not as easy for women to meet people online as most people think. Just because 20 men reply to a woman doesn't mean she'll meet them all. She might meet 1, maybe 2, if she's lucky.