Singapore Expats

RAM upgrade by COURTS

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
gargiarvind

RAM upgrade by COURTS

Post by gargiarvind » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 9:32 pm

I want to share my bad experience regarding the RAM upgrade which was installed by COURTS on the laptop sold by COURTS to me.
"RAM upgrade" is sometimes offered as free to customers as part of computer "selling strategy", and many customers fall an easy prey to this. However please be aware that this additional RAM could damage your computer as it is not approved by the original equipment manufacturer. The PC warranty will be null and void because of this additional RAM card. Retailer will not take any responsibility. This is what happened to me and COURTS refused to accept this problem and hence did not refund any cost to me. The PC manufacturer confirmed that the PC spoiled because of the "unapproved" RAM card. I had to bear the cost of PC repair which was a very costly affair.
Only if the additional RAM upgrade is offered and installed by the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) themselves, should you chose to go for it as then the OEM ensures that the RAM card is an approved one and hence the warranty remains valid.

I want to share my experience so that other customers can learn from it and be careful.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting though, because this is not just limited to courts, almost every retailer does this. I got RAM upgrade from 4 to 8GB on my Dell Lattitude by Best Denki and know few of my friends who got the same by other retailers on different brands.

I think the PC manufacturer you are talking about is the jerk here. May be you should list the PC manufacturer name here rather than Courts.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Re: RAM upgrade by COURTS

Post by Tanuki » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:46 pm

gargiarvind wrote: I want to share my experience so that other customers can learn from it and be careful.
Sorry you had a bad experience. But what was actually "broken" in the end? I've played around with a lot of different RAM on machines for many years. If it doesn't work then the PC just doesn't boot up. I've never had it actually damage anything. The only way it could do that (aside from the guy not shutting down the power or something) is if the RAM board had some serious electrical faults in it to begin with.

Best to just build your own PC. You get a quality machine that way. :wink:

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:55 am

I agree with Tanuki, I've added RAM and changed RAM etc many times, what component did the RAM "break"?

Maybe if you need a MB you can buy one and replace it, it's kinda like lego, it's not difficult, just buy the right size and with the right socket for your processor, get some goop for your heat sync and you're done.
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:41 am

Sounds to me like a typical BS sold by unprofessional service of the PC manufacturer to push away the responsibility. I am dealing with computers on hardware level for almost 20y and changed with my own hands probably hundreds of RAM modules many bought from e-bay and the only bad thing that ever happened was when I dropped a screwdriver into the RAM slot when the pc was on. Damaging the unit by just inappropriate RAM module, this I have never heard about.

If there is anything wrong with RAM the pc will:
- not boot
- ignore the module
- see it but freeze randomly during the normal PC operation

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 11:42 am

Nah, the poster is just having a slam at '''COURTS'''.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 1:43 pm

:o :P
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 5:32 pm

unless the tech guy at COURTS was wearing nylon and been rubbing himself, hence had a surge of electro static :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 5:50 pm

But this would be hardly a fault of some "unapproved" modules.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 11 Oct 2013 11:46 am

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 11 Oct 2013 2:40 pm

Just sounds like somebody from the subcon who didn't pay attention and shafted his own PC and is trying to blame Courts. Cut & paste and not even back to answer any questions two days later.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 11 Oct 2013 2:46 pm

Pre-zackry.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 11 Oct 2013 2:47 pm

IP is neither India nor Singapore.