Singapore Expats Forum

F&B Adventure - Expat meetup

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
GSentosa

F&B Adventure - Expat meetup

Postby GSentosa » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 11:49 am

I'm planning to organize a regular event to do meetups at different Restaurants, Clubs and Bars in Singapore.

Wanting to get an idea how many would be interested?

Plus it would be a good way for us all to meet up
everyone has their own stories to tell and my ears are wide open!

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 12:55 pm

There are several threads for that: WNDC, FNDC, Weekenders, or Sunday Brunch Club.
"Budget Expat"

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 1:00 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc.....

GSentosa, with only 3 posts, tiptoe very carefully.....

GSentosa

F&B journey

Postby GSentosa » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 4:48 pm

Sorry not sure what you mean.

I just joined this forum 3 days ago

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Re: F&B journey

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 5:31 pm

GSentosa wrote:Sorry not sure what you mean.

I just joined this forum 3 days ago

There's no intention to be rude. Feel free to browse the forum. And you can use the search function to make things easier for you.
"Budget Expat"

GSentosa

Postby GSentosa » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 5:38 pm

My question was to the moderator with the tic toc comment

I have visited wednesday and friday night events. All good

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 6:26 pm

If you have been already reading this board, you will already know we have institutionalized several on this board currently. Therefore, your attempt at doing so, smacks of a professional organizer, which, under the rules of this forum, would be verboten. As you have not yet "crossed the line" I have just given you a gentle warning. We don't normally get 'newbies' who come in and start organizing and when we do, it sets off alarm bells as we do NOT allow any commercial type of activities to be advertised or solicited here.

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Stevie_W » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 7:17 pm

v4jr4 wrote:There are several threads for that: WNDC, FNDC, Weekenders, or Sunday Brunch Club.

WNDC - tried it once and was dissapointed. Turned up at venue, and none of the staff there could identify who they were.
FNDC - been once. Met some interesting people. Would go again, but just haven't got round to it.
Weekenders - activity here seems a bit on/off. I'm not saying organiser isn't trying. We all have other things to do apart from organising events for old timers and newbies, so the fact the occasional attempt is made is still appreciated.
Sunday Brunch Club - pretty much what i said about Weekenders

But GSentosa, what would your definition of "regular" be? Once a week? Once a month? Or?

SMS - just for my info. What's wrong with a newbie coming in and trying to organise events, assuming that no commercial acitivy is being advertised or solicited of course? Maybe the newbie has something different in mind rather than the usual just going out for drinks thing? And if there is an attempt to advertise or solicit commercial activity, how can you tell at such an early stage?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 8:15 pm

@Stevie:

I have a feeling, SMS had deleted some of Gsentosa's other (repetitive) posts. Which I'm guessing that's the reason he gave the tic...toc.. comment.

And Stevie, organizing something for new people is quite tiresome doing it on our own. It would be great if someone helps with giving ideas with the event date and so forth. :)

And truly, after awhile, these things only has the regulars coming in...apparently with that, it scares newbies that we'll not be welcoming to them. Only the truly adventurous with the intention of making lasting friendships will show up. :P
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Stevie_W » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 8:28 pm

Akimbo wrote:And Stevie, organizing something for new people is quite tiresome doing it on our own. It would be great if someone helps with giving ideas with the event date and so forth. :)

And truly, after awhile, these things only has the regulars coming in...apparently with that, it scares newbies that we'll not be welcoming to them. Only the truly adventurous with the intention of making lasting friendships will show up. :P

Don't get me wrong, i'm not having a pop. I did say that when events are organised, it is appreciated. Especially by people like me who are too lazy to organise their own :)
And i do know how much of a pain they can be, i've done my fair share in the past........pre SG.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:19 pm

Stevie_W wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:There are several threads for that: WNDC, FNDC, Weekenders, or Sunday Brunch Club.

WNDC - tried it once and was dissapointed. Turned up at venue, and none of the staff there could identify who they were.
FNDC - been once. Met some interesting people. Would go again, but just haven't got round to it.
Weekenders - activity here seems a bit on/off. I'm not saying organiser isn't trying. We all have other things to do apart from organising events for old timers and newbies, so the fact the occasional attempt is made is still appreciated.
Sunday Brunch Club - pretty much what i said about Weekenders

But GSentosa, what would your definition of "regular" be? Once a week? Once a month? Or?

SMS - just for my info. What's wrong with a newbie coming in and trying to organise events, assuming that no commercial acitivy is being advertised or solicited of course? Maybe the newbie has something different in mind rather than the usual just going out for drinks thing? And if there is an attempt to advertise or solicit commercial activity, how can you tell at such an early stage?

Most people just wouldn't think of organizing anything without knowing the rules of the forum. A newbie would normally get "known" before trying to create a repetitive type of gathering. In the years that I've been here, in almost all cases when somebody tries that it's going to cost the members money (beside their buying their food & drinks. It's easier to nip it in the bud than getting PMs complaining that somebody, representing SingaporeExpats took our deposits and didn't show up at the function and no arrangements were made. We don't like to be associated with that type of reputation. We go to great lengths to keep the board free of unwanted solicitation, advertising and general mayhem and we tend to err on the side of caution. We do like the odd troll, occasionally, to play with for a while before banning them though! :cool:

GSentosa

Postby GSentosa » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 9:08 am

I went to the event yesterday, wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I've been lots of networking event but always seems to be the same old tricks.

I might be a newbie here, but i'm quite experienced in running my own events. Actually my company does exactly just that (XXXXXXXXXXX, online portal)

The event that I want to organize is to experience different types of restaurants and bars in Singapore. There are a lot of new places around, it would be nice if we can do it as a group activity say once a month. And I'm thinking the size to be much larger 30-50 people.

{Removed advertisement - moderator}

GSentosa,

If you want to advertise or solicit for your company, please contact the Admin via email and buy an advertising package - thanks, moderator

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Postby v4jr4 » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 9:21 am

To be honest, I don't even have the exact image of the event that you want to make. Unless you want to make one which is similar to Leslie Tay's event (just Google him).
"Budget Expat"

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 9:48 am

And that, my friends, is exactly what I was talking about. He is a commercial events promoter and is soliciting business. Sorry guys, but wave buh-bye to the organizer. :wave:

Stevie_W, now do you understand? Call it intuition after you have been moderating a forum like this for around 6 years and been a member here for 9 years. The posts carry a certain pong that's virtually unmistakable.

Grumpy77
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Grumpy77 » Thu, 10 Oct 2013 10:34 am

We'll call you Dead-eye Durango, you can sniff them out with uncanny accuracy... :) Too funny!