Singapore Expats

Adopting a dog?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Adopting a dog?

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:11 am

Where's reputable in Singapore? I've looked at SPCA and whilst they have a big selection I'm not sure usually preferring foster care rescue. I've seen a few smaller groups but they seem to be mainly older street dogs which would be fine if I didn't have a 6 year old.

Anyone got any tried and tested?

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 11:29 am

We have a neighbour who looks after abused dogs (usually incredibly FAT dogs). They do it for the local vet surgery. Perhaps you could contact Mount Pleasant.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 12:05 pm

Some advice. We adopted two dogs (siblings) from a foster home. They're the local mongrel breed and they were about a year old at the time.

Local mongrels do not have a very good reputation - they are known as hard to train, very loyal to their owners but a bit unpredictable with strangers. I can certainly corroborate this. They must have been quite abused as puppies as well, as they seem quite traumatised - any sterner "bad dog" and they peed in fright right where they stood. They are getting better, but painfully slowly.

If I had known a year ago what I know now, I would not have adopted them. Now I am awfully attached to them and would hate to see them go - but I can tell you, I have had dogs all my life, and these have been by far the hardest to keep.

Half breeds might be easier to train. Also dogs which had moderately benign existences before might be less scarred and easier to deal with.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 1:49 pm

Cheers, Kat.

I'm actually a trained dog evaluator and rehabber. So, yes, that's why I'm avoiding street dogs. I know I can do it because I fostered for years but it's just too hard with a very small child in the house. I've done it in the past but pulling an unknown out of a shelter, particularly one over 6 months, is just not where I am now. I'm happy to train but a complete rebuild is not right for my family. Plus I'm concerned about heartworms because the smaller groups don't mention it all which concerns me.

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 2:21 pm

That's sort of what we need. Some singaporean Cesar Milan who can help us figure out how to bring them round.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 2:48 pm

That man is a god. I'm comfy with what I know but he's in a league way beyond anyone I know. I'm not allowed to volunteer here. My husband knows I have an inability to say no and this isn't the place to have a house full of dogs.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 2:58 pm

I thought this was perfectly normal here 8-)

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 3:02 pm

lol i have problems saying no too...im afraid if i visit a shelter then I'll bring them all home.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah. I was an authorized signatory to pull out of kill shelters. So hard to choose. There may or may not have been secret dogs that I knew would get placed immediately that I paid to put in boarding. Poor for a reason.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 6:34 pm

Hannieroo, I got someone who's trying to find a family to adopt her 2 year old "Singapore Special" (that's what she calls it...) I'll PM you the link. You can contact me if interested. She's been trained, and I've looked after her for a week before.

She is quite sweet and very playful, though a bit greedy over her food :p
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 7:40 pm

She works for an agency or she's dumping her dog?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 9:02 pm

I can't really remember the exact history, but it's like...

She also has another Singapore Special who isn't getting along with the current dog she's trying to hand out to.

For now, a mutual friend of ours is temporarily taking care of her while she search for someone who would like to adopt the dog.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Wen_XY

Re: Adopting a dog?

Post by Wen_XY » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:57 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Where's reputable in Singapore? I've looked at SPCA and whilst they have a big selection I'm not sure usually preferring foster care rescue. I've seen a few smaller groups but they seem to be mainly older street dogs which would be fine if I didn't have a 6 year old.

Anyone got any tried and tested?
Have you tried looking online? There are several places you can browse for dog adoption offers:

http://www.petschannel.com/adoption/
http://saveourstreetdogs.com/dogsnpuppi ... n-puppies/
http://www.lost-paws.org/listings/brows ... _id=8/Dogs

calmchamb

Post by calmchamb » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 4:27 pm

I volunteer at a shelter with dogs you may be interested in.
They are all vet checked, vaccinated, well fed and generally very happy.
The dogs, I'm thinking of are older and very sweet but let me know if you are keen to see. Here is the link www.causesforanimals.com
People here are very genuine and keen to raise standards for welfare in Singapore. Also ask to speak to other adopters of their animals. They provide great support and help.

Suey267

Post by Suey267 » Mon, 21 Oct 2013 1:19 pm

Hi, I am shortly to move to Singapore and am thinking of dog adoption. I am actually looking for some practical advice! I will be living alone and working full time and wondered how others actually manage the day to day care of a dog? Is it easy to organise help during the day? I am a keen hiker and so would spend much of my free time out and about at weekends/evenings. I want to make sure that I am doing the right thing and have looked into it properly before I make the commitment.