Singapore Expats

Moving to singapore with a criminal record in the UK?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
tick

Moving to singapore with a criminal record in the UK?

Post by tick » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 1:46 am

Hi there, I'm recently married to a Singaporean and we would like to move to Singapore but I have been convicted with intent to supply for valliums which happened about 3 years ago. I have a degree from a reputable university, and relevant work experience in my field. I am looking to start a new life and join my wife's family in Singapore. Would I be rejected of a work permit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 8:04 am

I personally think you have a better than even chance of getting a work permit (all other issues such as finding a job aside). Singapore doesn't appear to be one of those countries that never allows convicted persons in (such as the US or Canada) or allow them to work. Indeed Singapore itself has a criminal rehabilitation program that has won awards for putting people back into the work force after serious convictions.

x9200

Re: Moving to singapore with a criminal record in the UK?

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 8:05 am

tick wrote:Hi there, I'm recently married to a Singaporean and we would like to move to Singapore but I have been convicted with intent to supply for valliums which happened about 3 years ago. I have a degree from a reputable university, and relevant work experience in my field. I am looking to start a new life and join my wife's family in Singapore. Would I be rejected of a work permit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Valliums? You mean this drug? Intent to supply sounds like trafficking. If this is the case you may be IMHO doomed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 9:34 am

PNGMK wrote:I personally think you have a better than even chance of getting a work permit (all other issues such as finding a job aside). Singapore doesn't appear to be one of those countries that never allows convicted persons in (such as the US or Canada) or allow them to work. Indeed Singapore itself has a criminal rehabilitation program that has won awards for putting people back into the work force after serious convictions.
For drug usage, agreed, but it appears he might have been arrested for trafficking. Here, until recently, he wouldn't have had a chance to be rehabilitated as he would have probably been hung. :o

I think I might have to go along with x9200 on this one. But it's worth a try I guess. We've seen some strange things happen over the past couple of years. Anyway, the worst they can do is say no.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 12:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I personally think you have a better than even chance of getting a work permit (all other issues such as finding a job aside). Singapore doesn't appear to be one of those countries that never allows convicted persons in (such as the US or Canada) or allow them to work. Indeed Singapore itself has a criminal rehabilitation program that has won awards for putting people back into the work force after serious convictions.
For drug usage, agreed, but it appears he might have been arrested for trafficking. Here, until recently, he wouldn't have had a chance to be rehabilitated as he would have probably been hung. :o

I think I might have to go along with x9200 on this one. But it's worth a try I guess. We've seen some strange things happen over the past couple of years. Anyway, the worst they can do is say no.
I wonder if MOM will ask ICA to trace tick's record. But let's say, they do. Will ICA slam the ban-hammer down (although he has established "the link")?
"Budget Expat"

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 2:43 pm

Judging what they do in the cases of WP holders married to SCs without MOM blessing I would not have to much faith in the link.

tick

Post by tick » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 12:32 am

valliums are a prescription drug for anxiety attacks, it was pretty hard to get off it as it was an easy answer but causes major depression when you try to come off it. it isnt illegal, just controlled. i had quite a problem with it. my intention was not to supply, they were all for me. but if i hadnt pleaded guilty, i wouldve had a much heavier sentence, because the court was not going to believe me. would i really not have a chance at getting a work permit then? i don't really want to go on separate ways with my wife. I havent done any drugs for the past few years and I am prepared to have the police keep a very close eye on me, i'd do any drug testing regularly if required?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 6:47 am

It does not look much better after your explanation. I doubt telling that it was for your private use (against what was ruled out) would help, neither that it is a prescription drug. Morphine is too, still it is enough you have excess of 30g of it and you are going to be hanged (in Singapore of course). Yes, I know morphine is not valium but the truth is nobody knows how they are going to judge your case and whether they would be bothered at all to understand the complexity. As suggested, just apply and see what happens.

sm1980

Post by sm1980 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:20 am

You probably could, but you shouldn't. In the form you will need to fill in, they will ask you if you have been convicted of a crime. If you say yes you probably won't be approved. If you lie you might get away with it but think of the consequences if you do get caught...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 11:12 am

'intent to supply for valliums'

... you need to elaborate on that son. What you did, and what your judgement/tariff was.