Singapore Expats

Girlfriend in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
deck board

Girlfriend in Singapore

Post by deck board » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 8:37 pm

Hi,
I'm an American in Singapore on an employment pass.

What options do I have for my Indonesian girlfriend to move in with me in Singapore?

Thanks.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 8:59 pm

None, really, unless she is able to get her own employment pass.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 9:29 pm

Marriage or 'defacto' registration at the US Embassy. I know a guy who has done it.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:04 am

I can't imagine asking somebody or being asked to move country without getting married. I think this kind of thing shows you you are either in or out.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 3:04 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I can't imagine asking somebody or being asked to move country without getting married. I think this kind of thing shows you you are either in or out.
Happens a lot more in the younger generation Hanni.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 3:39 pm

When I wanted to bring my girlfriend here in 2009, we wrote up a letter saying that we were not married but that we were living together as if we were husband and wife. Sharing everything equally and that we intended to get married in the future.

We took that letter to the embassy and asked them to witness us signing it in front of them while declaring that it was the truth. Got two witness signatures on the letter, as well as embassy stamp.

Sent that letter together with the DP application and it went through, no problems.

deck board

Marrying an Indonesian girl.

Post by deck board » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 4:17 pm

OK, thanks - (GULP), any body run the traps of marrying an Indonesian girl?

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Marrying an Indonesian girl.

Post by uscate » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 4:30 pm

deck board wrote:OK, thanks - (GULP), any body run the traps of marrying an Indonesian girl?
I'm not sure of what this quote means, but maybe my experience will be helpful.

My sig other and I are from the US. Before relocating here in 2012 we had been living together for 14 blissfully unmarried years. We had our "common law" marriage witnessed by the US consulate and I was granted an LTVP (couldn't get a DP despite our common law marriage), so I think Fortan's experience with getting a DP for his sig other in 2009 may not be as applicable now.

And I also had to provide diplomas documenting my educational history as well as a resume.

Good luck to you with your plans (not meant facetiously)....
Last edited by uscate on Sun, 13 Oct 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 4:36 pm

deck board wrote:OK, thanks - (GULP), any body run the traps of marrying an Indonesian girl?
Not specifically for Indo girls, but in general for girls from poorer countries, caution is advised. I.e. you would want to know that she marries you for yourself, not for your money or for being able to live in a first-world country and (relative) luxury. That would be something that is easier to find out once you have been living together for 2-3 years, but I can see that being a bit of a chicken-and-egg situation ;)

There may also be some complications if she is Muslim and you are not, but I cannot specifically advise on that. Do your research in that area if it applies to you.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 13 Oct 2013 4:53 pm

AngMoG wrote: Not specifically for Indo girls, but in general for girls from poorer countries, caution is advised. I.e. you would want to know that she marries you for yourself, not for your money or for being able to live in a first-world country and (relative) luxury.
That caveat applies to all women (and men for you ladies) no matter what their socio-economic status is before you met them. There are plenty of "first world" women and men who will require equal or more caution.