Singapore Expats

Salary Enquiry for PR application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
rockerfellar

Salary Enquiry for PR application

Post by rockerfellar » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 7:26 pm

I'm a Singapore citizen by born and I'm currently in the midst of preparing the documents to sponsor my wife's PR application, and one of the criteria as a sponsor is its financial ability to sponsor the wife.

However my current job is a commission-based one. My basic is $500, and my commission is on average $50XX plus. My annual average income can go to $65XXX.

Do anyone happened to know whether ICA will take in consideration of my commission pay as a gauge of my financial ability?
Or they will only take my basic pay in consideration, if so, it really will put me in an unfair judgement on my financial ability.

Someone please enlighten me on this.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 8:18 pm

That's a pickle.

Generally they only consider base. If you can document you have multiple years of such income maybe they'll make an exception if you go down and meet them in person.

Does your wife have any income?

rockerfellar

Post by rockerfellar » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 8:33 pm

Yes, my wife is on S-pass and is currently working. She has been working in Singapore for about 2 years.

Her income is $2XXX per month plus comission.

My income is very consistent throughout the months and there is no big fluctuation at all. I'm just afraid that they will only take my basic in consideration, which is just simply a shrewd biased judgement of the financial ability.

My take home pay is almost equivalent to a manager's pay.

should i just take them my job nature so they can understand?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 8:50 pm

You will need a healthy dose of luck, that's for sure. The reason they don't use commissions is that it can fluctuate wildly. In time of an economic recession, you may find yourself in a pickle due to a low basic salary AND the inability to find a suitable job paying more. Therefore ICA tends to err on the side of caution. Give it a try, hope for the best, but except the worst. Good luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 1:47 pm

rockerfellar wrote:Yes, my wife is on S-pass and is currently working. She has been working in Singapore for about 2 years.

Her income is $2XXX per month plus comission.

My income is very consistent throughout the months and there is no big fluctuation at all. I'm just afraid that they will only take my basic in consideration, which is just simply a shrewd biased judgement of the financial ability.

My take home pay is almost equivalent to a manager's pay.

should i just take them my job nature so they can understand?
ICA has said things along the lines of it looks for ~S$2800 for a SG Citizen to sponsor their unworking spouse for LTVP. I'm not sure if this amount has increased in the past year or so (when I last recall seeing it). If not, your combined income is just short. But, with a little luck they'll include your commission and then you'll have no problem.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 11:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You will need a healthy dose of luck, that's for sure. The reason they don't use commissions is that it can fluctuate wildly. In time of an economic recession, you may find yourself in a pickle due to a low basic salary AND the inability to find a suitable job paying more. Therefore ICA tends to err on the side of caution. Give it a try, hope for the best, but except the worst. Good luck.
I know one taxi driver, who earns good salary, but is in the same soup ..

Well, maybe ICA has taken a prudent view now, since the issue had been raised a few times, by many parties, as victimising those who are doing own business/taxi driving etc ..

I hope OP contributes CPF sufficiently as that can help a lot ..