Owner refusing to give second set of keys.

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
jyoti ss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:12 pm
Location: Singapore

Owner refusing to give second set of keys.

Post by jyoti ss » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:23 pm

Hello everyone... we are new to Singapore and we rented a HDB... Owner gave one set of keys to us before shifting. Now, when we shifted, she is refusing to hand over the second set of keys, saying that only one set of keys is given to tenant. Is that true. We don't want anyone else to have keys of our house. What are our rights for Security and privacy as tenant.
Jyoti

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8647
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Re: Owner refusing to give second set of keys.

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:32 pm

jyoti ss wrote:Hello everyone... we are new to Singapore and we rented a HDB... Owner gave one set of keys to us before shifting. Now, when we shifted, she is refusing to hand over the second set of keys, saying that only one set of keys is given to tenant. Is that true. We don't want anyone else to have keys of our house. What are our rights for Security and privacy as tenant.

None unless explicitly laid out in your Tenancy Agreement. If you're at all concerned change one of the locks or add an additional pad lock to the front gate.

Some owners are concerned about tenants leaving and not returning keys

This issue never bothered me at all when renting but I had a TA that stated the LL would not enter the property without my prior consent.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 5:00 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by scarbowl » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:46 pm

Even if LL gave a second set of keys there is no way to know whether there is a 3rd set. However, LL has a right to have keys as the property owner. You should be watchful to any unauthorized entry.

Have you checked to be sure the rental is lawful? There are many rules regarding renting of an HDB flat.

jyoti ss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:12 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by jyoti ss » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:52 pm

Where to check to the laws regarding whether it is lawful or not. As a tenant we have a right to live without the interference of Landlord, once we are in the property.
Jyoti

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8647
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:00 pm

jyoti ss wrote:Where to check to the laws regarding whether it is lawful or not. As a tenant we have a right to live without the interference of Landlord, once we are in the property.
ONLY as per your TA and common law (i.e. your landlord cannot steal your goods for example). You have very few rights as a tenant in Singapore as there is no overarching tenancy act.

Go hire a lawyer if you don't believe me.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:01 am
Location: Singapore

Post by katbh » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:11 pm

It is the law in most countries that the Landlord will have a key. But the landlord under a lease is not allowed to enter your house without your prior permission - unless of course you are in breach of your lease. This is standard. Most leases (and I am talking Singapore,UK,Australia) will not allow you to change the locks without giving a key to the new locks to the landlord. Just look at it from the landlords perspective and you will see why.
Just get another set of keys cut. It is very unlikely that the landlord would ever even think about entering. If they did, you would have a case for trespass and theft. Relax.
Just make sure your HDB rental is legal and he does not have access rights due to illegal HDB rental.

jyoti ss
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:12 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by jyoti ss » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:21 pm

thanks to everyone, for quick replies.. I'm bit relaxed now... :) :)

Just want to know.. how to be sure whether our HDB rental is legal....
Jyoti

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8647
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:24 pm

katbh wrote:It is the law in most countries that the Landlord will have a key. But the landlord under a lease is not allowed to enter your house without your prior permission - unless of course you are in breach of your lease. This is standard. Most leases (and I am talking Singapore,UK,Australia) will not allow you to change the locks without giving a key to the new locks to the landlord. Just look at it from the landlords perspective and you will see why.
Just get another set of keys cut. It is very unlikely that the landlord would ever even think about entering. If they did, you would have a case for trespass and theft. Relax.
Just make sure your HDB rental is legal and he does not have access rights due to illegal HDB rental.
My point about adding a lock is that it's a good way to catch out sneak visits...

"hey why you lock gate ah?"

"hey LL! why you visit so sneaky ah?"

katbh
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:01 am
Location: Singapore

Post by katbh » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:25 pm

Your landlord should have given you, or shown you a letter from HDB showing that was approved for lease. If not, be careful not to let HDB know or you will be out sharpish. Ask landlord to see his approval.

User avatar
PNGMK
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8647
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 9:06 pm
Answers: 1
Location: Sinkapore

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 10:34 pm

katbh wrote:Your landlord should have given you, or shown you a letter from HDB showing that was approved for lease. If not, be careful not to let HDB know or you will be out sharpish. Ask landlord to see his approval.
Ask the day before you pay your next rent. Don't pay until you see the letter.

God I hope you didn't pay 3 months in advance or something.

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 889
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 2:23 pm

Post by therat » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:29 pm

TS,

I assume you had rent the whole unit of the HDB.

this is from HDB
Steps Involved in Renting a flat
http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10323p.nsf ... enDocument

Important note: * An owner who is a Singapore Permanent Resident is not eligible to rent out his flat


Disputes Between Subtenants and Flat Owners

Matters relating to subletting tenancy such as amount of rental, payment/forfeiture of deposits, right to terminate tenancy, periods of subletting, etc. are private matters between owners and their subtenants. HDB will not mediate if there is a dispute between owners and their subtenants on these matters. Hence, flat owners and subtenants are advised to read and understand all the terms and conditions in the tenancy agreement carefully before signing it.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests