Singapore Expats

Can DP's of PEP holders get an EP/S-Pass to work?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
SCRA

Can DP's of PEP holders get an EP/S-Pass to work?

Post by SCRA » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:57 pm

Hi Guys

My husband is on a PEP and I'm on a DP.

Are there separate criteria for EP/S-Pass approval for dependents of PEP holders? Is it tougher? OR a complete no-no? What are the alternatives?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 1:15 pm

If you are on an DP and want to gain a EP/S pass, you will have to qualify as if you were on a normal SVP. You have to fulfill all the normal criteria that any other EP/S pass holder has to. There is nothing special given at all. The only is the Letter of Consent. This is not as stringent but it is harder to get now than it was a year ago. In fact this year is the first time I've seen any Letter of Consent rejected. (Of course it depends on the industry - not all jobs are allowed to high someone on an LoC).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SCRA

Post by SCRA » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 1:59 pm

Thanks for your reply.

Let me give you some background on me, to put things into perspective.

I worked in Singapore earlier in the year for a few months, on a part-time basis, with an LOC. The first time my LOC was approved hassle-free (husband was on EP then). After the probation period of 3 months, the company decided to move me to EP. It applied for EP but got rejected (husband is on PEP by now). Then applied for LOC again to continue and got REJECTED! They then appealed, and the MoM put us on wait for 4 weeks, after which it was approved finally.

However, that job was for a project/contract basis, so 6 weeks after the new LOC came through I was done with the job.

Couple of weeks back, I got an offer from a company which is big, established, local for a good role and decent package etc.

The company applies for an EP for me. Rejected!
Appealed. Rejected again! No reason!

I then push them to apply for an S-Pass for me instead of EP, based on a Self- Assessment Tool (SAT) the MoM has on the website. The SAT tells you your eligibility for S-Pass, EP etc based on your qualifications and salary package. I was given a S-PAss in that. The HR from the company applied for an S-Pass rather reluctantly because she felt we were well within in the EP range.

Yesterday, MoM REJECTED S-Pass too!! Reason - "The person is not eligible for work pass"

I am baffled. I don't understand what is going on. Can anyone help please?

I am left with an LOC choice (provided the company is willing to pursue, they're probably tired of me now) , but internally the company has different policies for an LOC vs EP/S-Pass (no med insurance, bonus etc). And what if the LOC won't go through as well?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 4:12 pm

SCRA wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Let me give you some background on me, to put things into perspective.

I worked in Singapore earlier in the year for a few months, on a part-time basis, with an LOC. The first time my LOC was approved hassle-free (husband was on EP then). After the probation period of 3 months, the company decided to move me to EP. It applied for EP but got rejected (husband is on PEP by now). Then applied for LOC again to continue and got REJECTED! They then appealed, and the MoM put us on wait for 4 weeks, after which it was approved finally.

However, that job was for a project/contract basis, so 6 weeks after the new LOC came through I was done with the job.

Couple of weeks back, I got an offer from a company which is big, established, local for a good role and decent package etc.

The company applies for an EP for me. Rejected!
Appealed. Rejected again! No reason!

I then push them to apply for an S-Pass for me instead of EP, based on a Self- Assessment Tool (SAT) the MoM has on the website. The SAT tells you your eligibility for S-Pass, EP etc based on your qualifications and salary package. I was given a S-PAss in that. The HR from the company applied for an S-Pass rather reluctantly because she felt we were well within in the EP range.

Yesterday, MoM REJECTED S-Pass too!! Reason - "The person is not eligible for work pass"

I am baffled. I don't understand what is going on. Can anyone help please?

I am left with an LOC choice (provided the company is willing to pursue, they're probably tired of me now) , but internally the company has different policies for an LOC vs EP/S-Pass (no med insurance, bonus etc). And what if the LOC won't go through as well?
In all probability you are NOT qualified for the S pass under the current criteria (regardless of what the self-assessment tool says)

The self assessment tool is only to see if you are qualified to apply for a S pass (the operative word here is "apply" not be "issued" with. Therefore they give themselves wide berth to tweak the system as they see fit. Now S passes, in addition to having to meet certain education qualifications, you must also have requisite experience AND a salary (this is the stickler part) that matches your academic criteria and experience! This is the part that we cannot see and they are able to tweak it any way they like. It's getting progressively harder and harder. I have two S pass employees on my desk at the moment. One was rejected on renewal (and he's been with us for 5 years). The other was also here the same length of time but was renewed, but it was indicated that the renewal was only for 1 years (instead of two or three AND it would be the last renewal as he is no longer qualified under the current criteria. Sucks but there you are.

Having a member of the family here on an EP or PEP doesn't automatically give the right for the trailing spouse to be able to take some Singaporean's job (not sayin' you doing that but that how they are looking at everything now). It looks like, if you want to work, the LoC is going to be the only vehicle available and of course, the employers know that "perks" are already covered by the EP/PEP holders employer so they know they can cut costs. Just askin' but did you actually see the rejection letters from MOM? We have seen shady employers who do take advantage of that AND don't show the rejection letters (in a lot of cases, they probably never even applied, but played the potential employee like a harp). Not saying this is the case, but we've got anecdotal evidence that it has happened in the past.

It sucks, but what to do?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

SCRA

Post by SCRA » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks for your reply again.

I didn't know that about the S-Pass. And the EP rejection remains a mystery still.

I really understand the bit about just because we're here doesn't give us the right to take away the local jobs. But this was an offer obtained through a very fair recruitment process and not on the pretext of ease of LOC (or at least it used to be perceived to be) etc in the first place, which is why they went for EP first.

Anyway, no I haven't seen the rejection letters myself. But apparently the potential boss has seen the S-Pass rejection email at least. Although I doubt such stuff would go on here, because they were quite keen on having me on board.

Lets see if the LOC comes through, thats if the company is still interested in applying anymore.

Will going to the MoM office to ask for answers yield anything? OR is there any other way I can elicit a response ?

Calling them doesn't work because they say as per standard procedures they can't give me reasons for rejection. Only if the hiring company calls do they give reasons. (which the company says are generic!)

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 5:34 pm

If they gave exact reasons then they would start getting tailor made applications. Therefore they will never divulge the exact reason. They always hold their card very close to their collective chests. They actually have a very valid reason for doing this and potential abuse is rampant here. Heck, just read some of the threads on this board. New applicants asking successful applicants exactly what was on their applications, as if it would be the same on their unless they lied. But I've had 'em hauled up and deported for fraudulent documents after having worked for 6 months with me. Eventually, MOM's teams in the various countries get around to documenting the info in the applications and boom comes down when they find out. As more and more try to abuse the system, the harder it becomes for all those who follow.

The company is correct. The reasons they DO give are generic. Never specifics and even if you go there in person, they will not tell you the exact reason. They will just say that is all that they are allowed to divulge. And, there is no higher authority you can appeal to. Appeals are heard by the original officer so unless there is substantially more to add to the application, it's a waste of time and energy.

SCRA

Post by SCRA » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:42 pm

So basically there's no hope!

After months of job-hunting and with companies just turning down the application at the sight of a DP, I find a company unaffected by such issues and MoM decides to crack down! Making existence in this country more frustrating.

Thanks for your time though! (Not sure how I should address you as). Many thanks again!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 1:03 am

Based upon what I've seen, the variability of granting/rejecting passes seems to be based upon the luck of the draw... what case officer you end up with. It may be the same person, over and over again, that is rejecting you.

I've not got a specific plan in mind... and, trying to get in front of someone else at MOM would be my goal... perhaps requesting a review of "changed circumstances" or some such to get that review.

SCRA

Post by SCRA » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 9:35 pm

Hmm ok. I think I'll go to the MoM office to see if I can speak to someone.

Btw, the company is going ahead with the LOC application (thankfully!). Will keep you posted on the outcome.

Many thanks for your replies again.

hendra_ahg

Post by hendra_ahg » Wed, 16 Oct 2013 10:00 am

One way is to use SAT tools to check the salary range that allows you to earn EP.

Happen to me last time, even though the tools said i'm eligible for spass and ep, it seems for more experience and old applicant, they only eligible for ep.

Some said it's because mom consider you overqualified for spass.

So get a job that earn you EP, coz you will only waste your time trying to get spass.

SCRA

Post by SCRA » Thu, 17 Oct 2013 9:34 am

Thanks for your replies people. The LOC came through finally! So looks like the MoM had made up its mind to give only LOC's to DP holders!!

Although like I said earlier, since the LOC is still tied to your spouse's EP/PEP, some companies consider it as a risk and do not give you the status of the full-time employee on an LOC.

As long as I can work I'm not complanining! :-)