Singapore Expats

Home prices could dip 20% by the end of 2015

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Home prices could dip 20% by the end of 2015

Post by Fortan » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 1:30 pm

I really hope this is going to happen. I would like to buy something here in Singapore eventually by the trend has only been upwards for years no end. Perhaps it is finally time to see the prices fall....?!

(URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHTS ISSUE)

EDIT:: Oh... sorry about the link... can I link to AsiaOne on here instead?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 2:04 pm

Actually, not questioning the deletion, but it's a bit weird, because by posting the link, you're actually increasing the readers of that article in that publication.

So you'd think that the publication owners should be pleased to have others link to their site, given that both their ad exposure, as well as their own branding, are getting a bit of a bump up.

Different matter altogether when you copy and paste the entire article of course, because that way, you'd not only deprive the publication in question of eyeballs, but it would be theft I suppose.

Then again, I'm not so well versed in the copyright laws.

All that being said, yes, a return to normalcy in the property market would be great.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 2:09 pm

I don't see it happening.... not without another SARS like event.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 8:32 pm

If the anti-foreigner stance continues and more companies (re)locate their operations elsewhere then I see this as a distinct possibility. In fact that might be the 'best case' scenario if the country doesn't snap out of its present self-destructive mode. IMHO of course.
Be careful what you wish for

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Re: Home prices could dip 20% by the end of 2015

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 8:43 pm

Fortan wrote:I really hope this is going to happen. I would like to buy something here in Singapore eventually by the trend has only been upwards for years no end. Perhaps it is finally time to see the prices fall....?!
I don't think it's correct to say that the trend has only been upwards. There were significant price falls a decade ago:

Max Headroom wrote:So you'd think that the publication owners should be pleased to have others link to their site, given that both their ad exposure, as well as their own branding, are getting a bit of a bump up.
Now you know why we use the term BCL. :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 8:58 pm

While trying to find a bigger version of Mi Amigo's graphic, I found these two:

Singapore / URA:

Hong Kong, Annotated:

Full size of HK if you want to read it: http://i.imgur.com/oJx62LN.png

The big down turns were the Asian financial crisis, Dot-com bubble burst, sars to a lesser extent, then 'quantitative easing'.

The general trends are roughly the same. I guess that really does make sense though.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 10:08 am

zzm9980 wrote: The general trends are roughly the same. I guess that really does make sense though.

It is interesting you both bring up HK since I was talking to a banker friend of mine there during my last visit a couple of weeks ago and he is saying exactly the same thing about HK as Fortan is indicating about SG.

My plan is to buy there instead of here, for various reasons, but I do believe that as things develop, prices should correct themselves.....not least when interest rates start to go up.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 12:22 pm

"Hi, I have a unit in <D'Snip-snip> for rent and sale. Its been 2 months, I am not able to rent out or sell."

Received this email from an owner. The sender then laments about the sad state of affairs in housing these days.

Whilst not overwhelming evidence of the collapse of property values, it's pretty safe to say that the Halcyon days are behind us, and values are firmly headed on a down slope.

AnheuserBusch

Post by AnheuserBusch » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 5:28 am

just nice for me, im moving soon!