Singapore Expats Forum

PR application > pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Postby vishalgupta2 » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:09 pm

Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:What's the rush? You need to get PR to get red passports to jump rock to somewhere else?

IF you're REALLY going to PR and have stables jobs waiting a year should be a no brainer.


How is a red passport a stepping stone to somewhere else? Am I missing something?

I know it's NOT a stepping stone to the USA. Please help me understand what countries is it a stepping stone to?


Singapore has an grossly underutilized work visa class in the US under the FTA (google for the exact number but there are several thousand allocations unused last time I checked). Hence the rush by subconts to get red passports as a shorter way to the land of their dreams. So you're wrong. This is what has driven a lot of the subcont PR -> SC -> Red Passport -> Jumping stone issue and the local Sinkies are fully aware of it and fully pissed off about it. ANYONE who applies for PR on that basis should have a millstone tied around their neck and be pushed off to swim all the way to the land of their dreams.


Lol! For someone to change citizenship from a continent to an island city just to work in the US?
I dont know what to say.

In fact the odds of getting a H1B visa to the US are higher than getting citizenship in Singapore. This year the lottery was like just 1:2. Many of my friends who applied this year got their H1B.


To add to it, there was NO lottery for many years before this year. In addition to that, the Singapore/Chilean special H1B1 visa is inferior to regular H1B visa in 2 ways.

1. It's 18 months validity (36 for regular H1B), so you have renew more often.
2. You can not apply green card from H1B1 (this is a total bummer)

The advantages are, it's easier to get and is cheaper than H1B, but with a NO Green card clause, I think it's a inferior H1B.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Postby vishalgupta2 » Fri, 04 Oct 2013 11:15 pm

Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
tidus12000 wrote:Australian immigration point system do not give more points for being a singapore citizen compare to other Asian countries.
I don't know where is this fantasy of "stepping stone" is coming from.
Correct me if i am wrong.


It's considerably easier to travel with the Red passport.... than the subcon one. Just saying.


As things stand currently, there is a much higher probability that a subcon guy will get an Australia PR, without even stepping into the country than getting Singapore PR, even after working here for a few years. So what stepping stone are you talking about?


No I disagree. I routinely send people into Australia and Subcons are just below my shit list after Syrians, Afghans and Pakis (in that reverse order, Syrians are just a disaster for visas right now, even though they are one of the best sources for trained OnG engineers). 457/456 visa approvals are much slower for Subcons than even Indos IME. I've never had an issue sending in a Sinky. I think this is your agro at not being a PR coming out again.

What I do find amusing (not) is how I now have to have MHA approval for all my client visits in India....


Your statements are completely irrelevant to the topic we are discussing. I dont care if Indons find it easier than Indians to get an Aussie PR.

Our point is Singapore is not the stepping stone. Period. You seem to have become a sinkie yourself. Just because you cannot prove your point, you bring everything else that is irrelevant, into the discussion :lol:


I brought up this discussion because I was hearing a lot about people using Singapore as a stepping stone and wasn't sure if it's more of a punch line than a real thing.

From the discussion, it seems to be over stated and the only benefit I see from the Red passport is not needing a tourist/business visa to most countries. It is NOT a stepping stone to any country (given all the wait/uncertainty involved).

It sure may be a backup plan for many people though.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:26 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:I brought up this discussion because I was hearing a lot about people using Singapore as a stepping stone and wasn't sure if it's more of a punch line than a real thing.


Heck, for that matter, a supposedly well-informed guy swore foreign nurses here are using SG PR as a stepping stone to Canada .. explain that to me :) :)

ludwig12
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed, 04 Sep 2013

Postby ludwig12 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 2:01 pm

PNGMK wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:What's the rush? You need to get PR to get red passports to jump rock to somewhere else?

IF you're REALLY going to PR and have stables jobs waiting a year should be a no brainer.


How is a red passport a stepping stone to somewhere else? Am I missing something?

I know it's NOT a stepping stone to the USA. Please help me understand what countries is it a stepping stone to?


Singapore has an grossly underutilized work visa class in the US under the FTA (google for the exact number but there are several thousand allocations unused last time I checked). Hence the rush by subconts to get red passports as a shorter way to the land of their dreams. So you're wrong. This is what has driven a lot of the subcont PR -> SC -> Red Passport -> Jumping stone issue and the local Sinkies are fully aware of it and fully pissed off about it. ANYONE who applies for PR on that basis should have a millstone tied around their neck and be pushed off to swim all the way to the land of their dreams.



I have seen similar comments a few times on this forum but not sure if I understand the argument. If any one follows an established government regulation to get PR or SC and then decide to migrate to other countries, I would think that is his/her freedom.

I can certainly understand and appreciate many people are determined to make SG their lifelong journey but I also believe we should respect other people making decision for their family's best interest. This should be rather common as SG is a trading hub therefore one can expect to have worldwide opportunities.

It would constitute an abuse if one has done something improper such as making false commitment to stay for XX years then not fulfill that commitment. If government feels there is an obligation to be a PR/SC above and beyond the published criteria, then they should make it clear for the applicants.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 2:05 pm

ludwig12 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:What's the rush? You need to get PR to get red passports to jump rock to somewhere else?

IF you're REALLY going to PR and have stables jobs waiting a year should be a no brainer.


How is a red passport a stepping stone to somewhere else? Am I missing something?

I know it's NOT a stepping stone to the USA. Please help me understand what countries is it a stepping stone to?


Singapore has an grossly underutilized work visa class in the US under the FTA (google for the exact number but there are several thousand allocations unused last time I checked). Hence the rush by subconts to get red passports as a shorter way to the land of their dreams. So you're wrong. This is what has driven a lot of the subcont PR -> SC -> Red Passport -> Jumping stone issue and the local Sinkies are fully aware of it and fully pissed off about it. ANYONE who applies for PR on that basis should have a millstone tied around their neck and be pushed off to swim all the way to the land of their dreams.



I have seen similar comments a few times on this forum but not sure if I understand the argument. If any one follows an established government regulation to get PR or SC and then decide to migrate to other countries, I would think that is his/her freedom.

I can certainly understand and appreciate many people are determined to make SG their lifelong journey but I also believe we should respect other people making decision for their family's best interest. This should be rather common as SG is a trading hub therefore one can expect to have worldwide opportunities.

It would constitute an abuse if one has done something improper such as making false commitment to stay for XX years then not fulfill that commitment. If government feels there is an obligation to be a PR/SC above and beyond the published criteria, then they should make it clear for the applicants.


Firstly, the reality of the newish PR REP renewal critieria is making less of an issue. Secondly the slowdown in SC approvals for subcons is partly due to this. So yes, they've spoilt the game.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 3:10 pm

ludwig12 sounds just like a PR abuser who's been fingered.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 3:35 pm

ecureilx wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:I brought up this discussion because I was hearing a lot about people using Singapore as a stepping stone and wasn't sure if it's more of a punch line than a real thing.


Heck, for that matter, a supposedly well-informed guy swore foreign nurses here are using SG PR as a stepping stone to Canada .. explain that to me :) :)


Indian (or Filipina) nurses gaining experience in a Commonwealth country before being poaches by Canadian nursing recruiters? Very logical.

(FYI most Commonwealth countries have a vestige of EN/RN quals/experience reciprocal recognition left over from the days of the British empire).

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5406
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 3:37 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
tidus12000 wrote:Australian immigration point system do not give more points for being a singapore citizen compare to other Asian countries.
I don't know where is this fantasy of "stepping stone" is coming from.
Correct me if i am wrong.


It's considerably easier to travel with the Red passport.... than the subcon one. Just saying.


As things stand currently, there is a much higher probability that a subcon guy will get an Australia PR, without even stepping into the country than getting Singapore PR, even after working here for a few years. So what stepping stone are you talking about?


No I disagree. I routinely send people into Australia and Subcons are just below my shit list after Syrians, Afghans and Pakis (in that reverse order, Syrians are just a disaster for visas right now, even though they are one of the best sources for trained OnG engineers). 457/456 visa approvals are much slower for Subcons than even Indos IME. I've never had an issue sending in a Sinky. I think this is your agro at not being a PR coming out again.

What I do find amusing (not) is how I now have to have MHA approval for all my client visits in India....


Your statements are completely irrelevant to the topic we are discussing. I dont care if Indons find it easier than Indians to get an Aussie PR.

Our point is Singapore is not the stepping stone. Period. You seem to have become a sinkie yourself. Just because you cannot prove your point, you bring everything else that is irrelevant, into the discussion :lol:


I brought up this discussion because I was hearing a lot about people using Singapore as a stepping stone and wasn't sure if it's more of a punch line than a real thing.

From the discussion, it seems to be over stated and the only benefit I see from the Red passport is not needing a tourist/business visa to most countries. It is NOT a stepping stone to any country (given all the wait/uncertainty involved).

It sure may be a backup plan for many people though.


Do you know how long the legal pathway to a greencard is now? About 10 years. Do you know how long the legal pathway to US Citizenship is now? (even with a US spouse - I know this for that exact reason) - 15 years. All of that assuming you can even get a visa or job in the first place.

The sort of people who abuse SPR are the sort who are looking to cut those ridiculous lines.
Last edited by PNGMK on Sun, 06 Oct 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 3:54 pm

Wd40 wrote:Lol! For someone to change citizenship from a continent to an island city


I had to lol at this part (ignoring the rest of the conversation). I sometimes wonder if people like wd40 are from the same India I visit. Whether it's to game the USCIS for a visa or not, I can imagine most Indians (short of the extremely wealthy who are milking the system to maintain that wealth) with the opportunity trade their Indian passport for a Singaporean one would do so in a second.

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby bro75 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 6:29 pm

Many people from 3rd world countries do think that SG is a viable stepping stone to Western countries. My opinion is that a Singapore experience is not more advantageous than a 3rd world country experience in the same field and position when the intent is to immigrate to a Western country. Only your education, your skills and experience in your field of work will matter plus some things like your age. Of course, the higher salaries in SG means that it is easier to save for the move to the Western country. After working 5-10 years in SG and moving to a Western country, it is probable that you are more financially prepared.

ludwig12
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed, 04 Sep 2013

Postby ludwig12 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 9:02 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ludwig12 sounds just like a PR abuser who's been fingered.


Can you be more explicit in what your definition of PR abuser is?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 9:46 pm

ludwig12 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:ludwig12 sounds just like a PR abuser who's been fingered.


Can you be more explicit in what your definition of PR abuser is?


Someone, who in their post, is trying to justify their future move as if it is already anticipated. These people should not take up PR until they are sure they want to stay here for the long term, otherwise they should just stay on their EP or PEP, leaving the PR for those who KNOW what they want. Capisce?

ludwig12 wrote:I can certainly understand and appreciate many people are determined to make SG their lifelong journey but I also believe we should respect other people making decision for their family's best interest. This should be rather common as SG is a trading hub therefore one can expect to have worldwide opportunities.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 06 Oct 2013 10:49 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Lol! For someone to change citizenship from a continent to an island city


I had to lol at this part (ignoring the rest of the conversation). I sometimes wonder if people like wd40 are from the same India I visit. Whether it's to game the USCIS for a visa or not, I can imagine most Indians (short of the extremely wealthy who are milking the system to maintain that wealth) with the opportunity trade their Indian passport for a Singaporean one would do so in a second.


US, UK, AU or Canadian passport, maybe. But Singaporean Passport, lol! No way. You have completely mistaken "How can I make quick money" with "Hell, I want to get out of here". Most Indians are the former and not the latter.

ludwig12
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed, 04 Sep 2013

Postby ludwig12 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 12:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ludwig12 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:ludwig12 sounds just like a PR abuser who's been fingered.


Can you be more explicit in what your definition of PR abuser is?


Someone, who in their post, is trying to justify their future move as if it is already anticipated. These people should not take up PR until they are sure they want to stay here for the long term, otherwise they should just stay on their EP or PEP, leaving the PR for those who KNOW what they want. Capisce?

ludwig12 wrote:I can certainly understand and appreciate many people are determined to make SG their lifelong journey but I also believe we should respect other people making decision for their family's best interest. This should be rather common as SG is a trading hub therefore one can expect to have worldwide opportunities.


I do agree with you that if one already see him/herself leaving then there is no point applying for PR. The point that I was trying to make is that every one should have the right to decide what is in his/her best interest. If one gets PR or SC and do everything by the book (i.e. fulfill his obligations), it is perfectly reasonable to makes a decision to leave based on his/her individual reasons at a future time. I am sure you are not saying every PR/SC who migrate to other countries are abusers, or are you?

Again, if government feels that there are strings should be attached such as NS, make it clear to the applicants so they understand the consequences before applying.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 6:49 am

The strings are quite clearly attached, re NS. Those who take up PR without taking up PR for their sons are the biggest abusers. Thankfully, the Gahmen as wised up now and if you don't apply for your male children, either you will be rejected for PR or you may find, if you do have PR, your REP may well not be renewed. It's about time the abusers are nipped in the bud so there are slots open for more deserving families.

It's because of this abuse that PRs are now having their subsidies severely curtailed, reduced and/or eliminated.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest