Singapore Expats

Do Singapore Employers issue relieving/release letter?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
machoman

Do Singapore Employers issue relieving/release letter?

Post by machoman » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 2:10 am

Hello,

I have been employed in Singapore for a while now. Also I am from India. I have a question that if anyone decides to resign from the job and leave Singapore, is a relieving letter issued to them? I am not sure if it is a standard practice here in this country and so this question.

Also the reason I ask this is because Employers in India usually look for such documents during the process of hiring. So it will be expected of you to carry with you the Relieving letter from the previous organization.

I would be very grateful if anyone could throw light on this...

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 6:56 am

Most Singapore employers issue letters if they initiate the release from service, e.g., released due to inability to renew work permit, termination letter, redundency letter, etc, etc.

But if the employee resigned, then usually the only letter is the one the employee must give to the employers (resignation letter).

Recommendation letters are nice but not obligatory from the employer if you want the employer to be brutally honest. A good employer may give if asked for, but be careful what you ask for. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:05 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Recommendation letters are nice but not obligatory from the employer if you want the employer to be brutally honest. A good employer may give if asked for, but be careful what you ask for. :wink:
Another term Singaporeans use for this document is also 'testimony' and 'statement of service'.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:24 am

You could ask for a simple certificate/statement of employment, which is a letter that states the duration of employment and last position held. It may also include latest salary information.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 9:31 am

Those we give regardless as they ask for them for most anything, loans, school subsidies, HDB applications, etc. Even for PR applications. We just call 'em "Too whom it may concern letters" but they don't give any recommendations or indications of character other than being a current employee, which generally is taken to mean a decent employee as they haven't been sacked. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:47 am

Print your own. Who's going to know the difference?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 12:31 pm

SE, you are right, except for HR people like myself when sourcing a candidate. I usually check references and make phone calls when I can to confirm data if I really see a potential employee. Of course it also depends on the level of the applicant and the position being sourced for.

machoman

Post by machoman » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 1:42 pm

Hello all,

I guess we would just be looking at something like This person was employed with us from beginning date to end date and was drawing xxxx SGD. I am not sure if a character voucher is or any recommendations are necessary.

Would asking for such a letter from the employer after resignation be obliged or entertained?

Thanks

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:56 pm

machoman wrote:Hello all,

I guess we would just be looking at something like This person was employed with us from beginning date to end date and was drawing xxxx SGD. I am not sure if a character voucher is or any recommendations are necessary.

Would asking for such a letter from the employer after resignation be obliged or entertained?

Thanks
This is why I say you should just create your own. Grab a piece of company letterhead. Write down what you just wrote here. Be honest. Then sign it as a department (Human Resources or the department where you worked)... no actual names.

Then, guys like SMS can actually contact HR and find out if the information is correct, but without a named person, it all ends there.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Post by singaporeflyer » Thu, 03 Oct 2013 11:25 pm

Thanks
I think should be ok. I have worked for 3 companies in SG till now and all were able to give letters of the above format including the conduct without any issues.

If you request politely to your employer or ex-employer they should be ok for it.

machoman

Post by machoman » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:12 am

singaporeflyer wrote:

Thanks
I think should be ok. I have worked for 3 companies in SG till now and all were able to give letters of the above format including the conduct without any issues.

If you request politely to your employer or ex-employer they should be ok for it.

Thanks everyone for the responses. The discussion certainly has offered more clarity.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 05 Oct 2013 11:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most Singapore employers issue letters if they initiate the release from service, e.g., released due to inability to renew work permit, termination letter, redundency letter, etc, etc.

But if the employee resigned, then usually the only letter is the one the employee must give to the employers (resignation letter).

Recommendation letters are nice but not obligatory from the employer if you want the employer to be brutally honest. A good employer may give if asked for, but be careful what you ask for. :wink:
plus in Singapore, for mid level jobs, prospective employers ring up the former employers directly, and add to it the need to submit pay slips ... reference letters are not so needed per se ..

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Mon, 07 Oct 2013 11:09 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Most Singapore employers issue letters if they initiate the release from service, e.g., released due to inability to renew work permit, termination letter, redundency letter, etc, etc.

plus in Singapore, for mid level jobs, prospective employers ring up the former employers directly, and add to it the need to submit pay slips ... reference letters are not so needed per se ..
Calling up for reference check makes way more sense than reading a standard letter saying "This guy did a great work and we wish him luck".

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 08 Oct 2013 9:44 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:Calling up for reference check makes way more sense than reading a standard letter saying "This guy did a great work and we wish him luck".
yah, and Singapore employers do it, despite they asking sweetly "do you want us to not contact your employer, and if so, explain why" and you happily tick "YES" to that, and then you get a call from your ex-employer saying somebody called ..

Kiasuism at work for prospective employers :)

then again, I know atleast one of my former employers will not say nice things because they changed from an IT Products company to a plastic distributor and I refused to stay as a sales man for Plastic drums etc .. and the HR/CEO (same person) is not happy till date, that I left him than work for him for peanuts doing an unrelated work ..