Singapore Expats Forum

US Shutdown

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

US Shutdown

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 8:36 pm

1st it was Fiscal Cliff, then Fed Tapering and then Syria. This time another buzz word from the US that is rattling the markets:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/s ... -americans

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 4:14 pm

Lets see what happens next .........
Life is short, paddle harder!!

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby BedokAmerican » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 9:56 am

Note that this is only a partial shutdown, which is still a big deal. But regardless, it's ridiculous that this shutdown is centered around the Affordable Health Care Act.

Even the GOP House Speaker was quoted after the 2012 election results as saying that "Obamacare is law of the land." Now, he and his party are trying to derail the inevitable to please their most extreme minions.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:01 am

TED CRUZ

'nuff said

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4855
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:33 am

BedokAmerican wrote:Note that this is only a partial shutdown, which is still a big deal. But regardless, it's ridiculous that this shutdown is centered around the Affordable Health Care Act.

Even the GOP House Speaker was quoted after the 2012 election results as saying that "Obamacare is law of the land." Now, he and his party are trying to derail the inevitable to please their most extreme minions.


The hatred towards the AHCA is amazing. Even my placid, but extreme right wing wife, frothes at the mouth over it. You should have seen her last night when I mentioned the AHCA is probably the only reason I'd be able to consider retiring to the USA.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2066
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:39 am

PNGMK wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote:Note that this is only a partial shutdown, which is still a big deal. But regardless, it's ridiculous that this shutdown is centered around the Affordable Health Care Act.

Even the GOP House Speaker was quoted after the 2012 election results as saying that "Obamacare is law of the land." Now, he and his party are trying to derail the inevitable to please their most extreme minions.


The hatred towards the AHCA is amazing. Even my placid, but extreme right wing wife, frothes at the mouth over it. You should have seen her last night when I mentioned the AHCA is probably the only reason I'd be able to consider retiring to the USA.


What alternative has been put forward?

Why is your wife against affordable healthcare?

I can only assume that extreme right in the US dont like the concept of affordability....... Or that if healthcare becomes affordable folk might start using it ....
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:49 am

PNGMK wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote:Note that this is only a partial shutdown, which is still a big deal. But regardless, it's ridiculous that this shutdown is centered around the Affordable Health Care Act.

Even the GOP House Speaker was quoted after the 2012 election results as saying that "Obamacare is law of the land." Now, he and his party are trying to derail the inevitable to please their most extreme minions.


The hatred towards the AHCA is amazing. Even my placid, but extreme right wing wife, frothes at the mouth over it. You should have seen her last night when I mentioned the AHCA is probably the only reason I'd be able to consider retiring to the USA.


It's just the way US politics has mutated. Disagreeing is not enough; you have to have severe hatred and be ready to curse to the 7th generation of 7 generations anyone who doesn't share your point of view.

Some say it's the politicians themselves, some say it's the sensationalism the 24-hour news networks fostered.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby BedokAmerican » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:50 am

Many people who are against the health care reform law don't fully understand it.

Even with the partial gvt shutdown, people are still starting to sign up for the plans, although there have been some technical glitches:
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-oba ... 9586.story

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:55 am

Well at one glance, the media is painting the picture that the (partial) shutdown revolves around Obamacare, and the Republicans are the villains in this.

But from what I've been reading, apparently it isn't just about the Obamacare. The Republican's stand-off revolves around "a ridiculous budget and interest payments on a debt that is insane". So Obamacare is just one of the things that they would not compromise for.

On another outlook, even if they get to cut one Obamacare, the spending is still out of control, especially when about 40% of tax revenues are going towards interest payments. Probably they will get to reduce the burn of the debt.

Makes sense, no?

But I still think it shouldn't have escalated to this level. 800,000 people are out of jobs because of this already.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:02 pm

The stupid thing from the GOP point if view is they are trying to take out a law that was brought in before the last election and which, by virtue of re-election, was confirmed as measure approved of by a majority (at least of those who could be bothered to vote).

If I agree or not, is not the point today......the point passed at the last election. The GOP are making themselves unelectable as they fracture and try to repeal something they already lost.

Win first, then fix any problems you may have. Don't hold a gun to your country's collective head no matter who is one of your largest sponsors.

In the end, it's plain laughable for a country that shouts from the rooftop it is the best in the world! The Europeans have always had the right, and more so in recent years to say, 'Say what? You want to teach us economics?'
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Arsenal_fan
Member
Member
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon, 01 Nov 2010
Location: singapore

Postby Arsenal_fan » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:16 pm

Just saw the video by jimmy kimmel below. Cannot figure out why people are against obamacare (affordable health care).

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/l ... 4482.story

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:41 pm

Arsenal_fan wrote:Just saw the video by jimmy kimmel below. Cannot figure out why people are against obamacare (affordable health care).

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/l ... 4482.story


Because they have been conditioned to hate it. Their ignorance is a plain indicator that they do just because they've been told, not because they truly disagree with it.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby BedokAmerican » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 1:03 pm

Yep, I agree.

Just watched that video and it proves how dumb some people are. You can tell by watching it that the people being interviewed had no idea what they were talking about. They were trying to sound intelligent but they came off as clueless.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 2:22 pm

It was entertaining but doesn't really tell us anything. How many people did they have to interview before they got the answers they wanted.

I would hope a lot, but I suspect not. :wink:

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4855
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 2:47 pm

Barnsley wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote:Note that this is only a partial shutdown, which is still a big deal. But regardless, it's ridiculous that this shutdown is centered around the Affordable Health Care Act.

Even the GOP House Speaker was quoted after the 2012 election results as saying that "Obamacare is law of the land." Now, he and his party are trying to derail the inevitable to please their most extreme minions.


The hatred towards the AHCA is amazing. Even my placid, but extreme right wing wife, frothes at the mouth over it. You should have seen her last night when I mentioned the AHCA is probably the only reason I'd be able to consider retiring to the USA.


What alternative has been put forward?

Why is your wife against affordable healthcare?

I can only assume that extreme right in the US dont like the concept of affordability....... Or that if healthcare becomes affordable folk might start using it ....


1. I don't think there is one. My wife's primary concern is being forced to pay a fine if she doesn't take up the compulsory health care. I am not sure that this is true and I need to research it. I can understand an American being pissed that their "free" country forces them to take something up. I get that.

2. My wife's a die hard Born Again Christian. Her view is a little fatalistic - if she gets an incurable disease she has no plans to fight it medically. I on the other hand will go broke paying her bills if we're in the USA.

3. It's a broader spectrum than that - anyone who hates Obama (48% of the USA) seems to be against the AHCA. Hence why they call it 'Obamacare'. An equivalent was when Medicare was brought into Australia (and all taxpayers pay a compulsory 1.5% levy towards it) by the Labor party. The Libs swore that they would dismantle it - 20 years later no one would dream of killing off the most successful social support program in Australia. I keep explaining to my wife that the USA has to try something - the repubs can win the next election and tweak the AHCA but for goodness sakes it has to start somewhere.


Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests