Singapore Expats

Weird tap water taste?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
mikalyllau

Weird tap water taste?

Post by mikalyllau » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 2:40 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to Singapore and here in the forum.

Just wondering if it was only me, :???: the tap water here does taste a little weird to me. So far I have only been purchasing bottles of distilled water from stores.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 3:50 pm

Must be the urine-recycled-into-drinking water or the desalinated seawater......
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 9:26 pm

nakatago wrote:Must be the urine-recycled-into-drinking water or the desalinated seawater......
Uniquely Singapore :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:13 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEWater

NEWater is the brand name given to reclaimed water produced by Singapore's Public Utilities Board. More specifically, it is treated wastewater (sewage) that has been purified using dual-membrane (via microfiltration and reverse osmosis) and ultraviolet technologies, in addition to conventional water treatment processes.

The water is potable and can be consumed by humans, but is mostly used for industry requiring high purity water.

auskid

Post by auskid » Sun, 29 Sep 2013 10:55 pm

I've found the same.. also have been buying bottled water

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 8:04 am

I haven't found the water to taste any more different than usual. What part of Singapore are you staying?

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:48 am

One day, a few years back, our tap water suddenly had a real strong plastic taste to it. I stopped drinking it, thinking something was up, decided to wait for it to resolve.

When it didn't really improve after a few days, I went to the condo manager and asked if he could check it out. His reply: "Yes, sorry, we re-coated the inside of the roof water basins last week; I was going to post this on the condo bulletin board, but didn't get around to it yet."

:shock:

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:58 am

Water quality does vary here it seems.

I'm in the East and it's fine, I never buy bottled water. Several friends in the Tanglin area claim their water is undrinkable.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:06 pm

We don't drink the tap water and always buy bottled water.

As an aside, does anyone know where I could buy bottled water in the large containers like they have in offices? Getting a bit tired of buying litre bottles from the supermarket.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:22 pm

I'm just the opposite. I reckon WHO says the water quality here is better than most if not all US cities. Never drank bottled water there and been here for over 3 decades and it hasn't hurt me none here either. I just reckon the complainers come from cities where their water tastes funny and they've just gotten used to it so the clean water here throws 'em! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 4:58 am

Singapore water quality is much better than most cities. If you are having issues, it would be worth checking your pipes and infrastructure past the water meter.

You want sh*t water. Try Houston... a bath tub full is slightly red/brown from clay particulate matter and the chlorine levels are much higher than Singapore.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 8:57 am

We also always drink the tap water. Moved already few times around, different districts and never had any issues with the taste and quality.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 9:13 am

Otherwise, you can try to boil it (although there's no guarantee that the strange taste will go).
"Budget Expat"

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 9:20 am

v4jr4 wrote:Otherwise, you can try to boil it (although there's no guarantee that the strange taste will go).
Hey haven't seen you around for a while! How's Hong Kong treating you?

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 9:28 am

the lynx wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Otherwise, you can try to boil it (although there's no guarantee that the strange taste will go).
Hey haven't seen you around for a while! How's Hong Kong treating you?
I turned down the offer. Luckily enough, I got a better offer in Singapore. So I still can stick around with yong tau foo and bak chor mee :lol:
"Budget Expat"