Singapore Expats

Weird tap water taste?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 9:59 am

I bought a sink mount water filter in from Australia and installed it after finding numerous metal / ?? particles in the water tap filter screen on our sink faucet. I'm a lot happier with the taste. The prices of these systems is just BS in Singapore - in Australia they're about $90.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'm just the opposite. I reckon WHO says the water quality here is better than most if not all US cities. ..
+1
Strong Eagle wrote:Singapore water quality is much better than most cities. If you are having issues, it would be worth checking your pipes and infrastructure past the water meter.
+1 too ..

Actually, the Water off the tap here far exceeds WHO standards for Clean Potable Water - and you don't need to boil it ..

Of course, other than the times when a maid is floating in the water tank .. .. it is safe ..

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 11:49 am

I lived on tap water for 13 years here in Sg. It tastes the same to me.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 1:50 pm

I get on fine with the tap water too. Newater also can, but it doesn't taste of anything so IIRC they stated adding some minerals to make it more 'palatable'.

IMHO the bottled water industry in general (at least in countries like SG) is a con. How much is a bottle of Evian now? I refuse it at restaurants out of principle.
Be careful what you wish for

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 2:25 pm

I had been drinking directly form tap water since my primary school time.

Jurong area, the tap water taste stronger. North area taste okay to me.

AlexSwe

Post by AlexSwe » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 9:21 pm

It's different depending on where in Singapore you live. But instead of buying bottled water if you don't like the taste, I'd recommend buying a jug with carbon filter, which will remove the taste from your tap water. :)

stiwi
Chatter
Chatter

Post by stiwi » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 10:02 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Otherwise, you can try to boil it (although there's no guarantee that the strange taste will go).
It often doesn't go away despite boiling.

I find SG tap water hit and miss. Even the same restaurant can have odourless tap water sometimes, while the other time the taste is just unbearable.

I can definitely taste the difference between tap water and bottled water. I guess the way one was used to while growing up also make a difference. If most of your life you were drinking bottled water and then suddenly you switch to tap water, you can feel that it taste different, I would say worse.

I don't know if others have the same observations, but for me it is often a "ground" smell and taste associated with SG tap water. It didn't go away after 2.5 years as I am here.

Probably after 30 years of drinking only tap water, you don't feel or you don't want to feel the difference anymore. Let's face it that bottled water is another useless (in most views) expense in this already expensive country. That's why as long as tap water is drinkable most people won't complain much :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 02 Oct 2013 11:09 pm

One man's opinion. I actually like the taste of the local water. I did the 15 years I lived in Seletar Camp in 60 year old buildings and I do here in my 25 year old HDB Flat. Or when I was living up in Watten Estates in a semidetached or at Novena in a semidetached. I've never had bad tasting water, but then I grew up on a farm and drank well water a good portion of my life.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers