Singapore Expats Forum

Work Visa Application got rejected

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 5:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Potential PR collector? They may see it that way. After all, you are Vietnamese, schooling in Finland, already have a US green card but want to do an internship in Singapore? They might see it as the start of a potential PR abuse desiree. I'm not saying they will, but look at it this way. Try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you don't try the answer is no. If you do try, it still could be no, but it could possibly be yes.


If someone has US greencard, I dont see that as a negative thing for a TEP, which is like a work pass. Are you saying that someone with a US greencard will have problem to get an EP vs a person who doesnt have a US greencard, everything else being equal?

If anything the US Greencard will be looked upon as a positive. If you remember earlier for EPEC foreign work visa was considered as a positive. I know rules have tightened since then, but nevertheless, I dont think US greencard will be looked up as a negative for TEP.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 5:58 pm

Wd40 wrote:If anything the US Greencard will be looked upon as a positive. If you remember earlier for EPEC foreign work visa was considered as a positive.


Not quite. Having had work-visas/permits from other '1st world' countries was considered something of a bonus. It was almost a case of 'Well, if the US, UK, Japan etc saw fit to give you a work visa, then we'll give you a bit of credit for their decisions'.

There gets a point where if you're resident of 3-4 countries it gets perceived as just blatant residency-shopping.

KinKin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013
Location: Finland

Postby KinKin » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 6:38 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Potential PR collector? They may see it that way. After all, you are Vietnamese, schooling in Finland, already have a US green card but want to do an internship in Singapore? They might see it as the start of a potential PR abuse desiree. I'm not saying they will, but look at it this way. Try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you don't try the answer is no. If you do try, it still could be no, but it could possibly be yes.


Thank you.
I will definitely make a try before giving up. However, I am not a PR collector, it 's just my dream to live from country-to-country. :)
Keep going

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 08 Dec 2013 7:54 pm

Some years ago I got a visa (B1?) to the US (I'd exhausted the tolerance of the US Visa Waiver Scheme at that point).

I recall at the time researching how to pitch the application. One thing stood out, and that was the need to make a compelling case that I had 'close ties' to my home country, and hence was probably highly unlikely to wish to over-stay in the US and then apply for a Green Card.

To establish that I pointed out that:
- I was a resident and passport holder of just one country (the one in which I was born).
- In which my family also lived
- In which I owned a business
- And ditto my home
- And the reason I was visiting the US quite frequently was demonstrably temporary

That was how the US gauged likely intentions. It wouldn't surprise me hugely if SG take a similar kind of approach. So if you're making a case to get this visa, perhaps you might also focus on 'the reasons I'm going to leave when the internship is over', plus also why you say 'because the internship in Singapore is compulsory for my degree.' An internship might well be, but there's no obvious reason for the government to let you in to do it here ... so make a case why doing it here is so important to you.

KinKin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013
Location: Finland

Postby KinKin » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 7:28 pm

JR8 wrote:Some years ago I got a visa (B1?) to the US (I'd exhausted the tolerance of the US Visa Waiver Scheme at that point).

I recall at the time researching how to pitch the application. One thing stood out, and that was the need to make a compelling case that I had 'close ties' to my home country, and hence was probably highly unlikely to wish to over-stay in the US and then apply for a Green Card.

To establish that I pointed out that:
- I was a resident and passport holder of just one country (the one in which I was born).
- In which my family also lived
- In which I owned a business
- And ditto my home
- And the reason I was visiting the US quite frequently was demonstrably temporary

That was how the US gauged likely intentions. It wouldn't surprise me hugely if SG take a similar kind of approach. So if you're making a case to get this visa, perhaps you might also focus on 'the reasons I'm going to leave when the internship is over', plus also why you say 'because the internship in Singapore is compulsory for my degree.' An internship might well be, but there's no obvious reason for the government to let you in to do it here ... so make a case why doing it here is so important to you.


Hi there,
thank for your consulting. I hold US green card because my family is all moving there. I hold Shengen president permit of course because I have studied there. Actually, I have also gained UK president permit for 1 year exchange there. I don't want to show up or anything. But I mean, although my background is quite complicated, and I hold many permits but I also get in and get out on time and renew it approprimately. I think I need to show MOM that also. Do you think I should?
Keep going

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 9:28 pm

You want to notch up your 4th citizenship...


:???:

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 10:57 pm

KinKin wrote:
JR8 wrote:Some years ago I got a visa (B1?) to the US (I'd exhausted the tolerance of the US Visa Waiver Scheme at that point).

I recall at the time researching how to pitch the application. One thing stood out, and that was the need to make a compelling case that I had 'close ties' to my home country, and hence was probably highly unlikely to wish to over-stay in the US and then apply for a Green Card.

To establish that I pointed out that:
- I was a resident and passport holder of just one country (the one in which I was born).
- In which my family also lived
- In which I owned a business
- And ditto my home
- And the reason I was visiting the US quite frequently was demonstrably temporary

That was how the US gauged likely intentions. It wouldn't surprise me hugely if SG take a similar kind of approach. So if you're making a case to get this visa, perhaps you might also focus on 'the reasons I'm going to leave when the internship is over', plus also why you say 'because the internship in Singapore is compulsory for my degree.' An internship might well be, but there's no obvious reason for the government to let you in to do it here ... so make a case why doing it here is so important to you.


Hi there,
thank for your consulting. I hold US green card because my family is all moving there. I hold Shengen president permit of course because I have studied there. Actually, I have also gained UK president permit for 1 year exchange there. I don't want to show up or anything. But I mean, although my background is quite complicated, and I hold many permits but I also get in and get out on time and renew it approprimately. I think I need to show MOM that also. Do you think I should?


:king: =D> :D

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 09 Dec 2013 11:28 pm

AngMoG wrote:thank for your consulting. I hold US green card because my family is all moving there. I hold Shengen president permit[/b] of course because I have studied there. Actually, I have also gained UK president permit for 1 year exchange there. I don't want to show up or anything. But I mean, although my background is quite complicated, and I hold many permits but I also get in and get out on time and renew it approprimately. I think I need to show MOM that also. Do you think I should?



Is that a Schengen Residents Permit?

Yeah tell MoM you're a legal resident of UK, EU, US already, and now want to move to SG... hmmm

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu, 31 Oct 2013

Postby Beeroclock » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 4:34 am

To OP. I sympathize but as others point out not much you can do. Suing is waste of time but I do hope you highlight and even formally complain re the verbal assurances you were given, it might make those person(s ) more careful in future.

bro75 wrote:
To you and other applicants, when it comes to applying for work in singapore , do not resign or signify to your employer any intention to resign, as long as you do not have the IPA yet. It is what I always advise to other applicants I know.


Re the above advice I tried to do it when I was in similar situation some time ago but was told cannot apply for new EP without canceling existing. So current employer will still come to know. I was very stressed about this despite verbal assurances I also received the EP approval was a formality, but couldn't find a way around except to just take the chance. fortunately it was ok in my case but I did sweat until IPA arrived. This is a big advantage of being PR or having some other work permit that is not employer dependent.

KinKin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013
Location: Finland

Postby KinKin » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 6:24 am

JR8 wrote:
AngMoG wrote:thank for your consulting. I hold US green card because my family is all moving there. I hold Shengen president permit[/b] of course because I have studied there. Actually, I have also gained UK president permit for 1 year exchange there. I don't want to show up or anything. But I mean, although my background is quite complicated, and I hold many permits but I also get in and get out on time and renew it approprimately. I think I need to show MOM that also. Do you think I should?



Is that a Schengen Residents Permit?

Yeah tell MoM you're a legal resident of UK, EU, US already, and now want to move to SG... hmmm


Oh I mean Finnish student resident permit (with that I could stay in the Schengen within 3 months - not need to apply for other documents.)

All is about my desire that live one place to one place...

Anyway, I gonna send documents for MOM, let's see what will be, will be :D
Keep going

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 9:50 am

KinKin wrote:Oh I mean Finnish student resident permit (with that I could stay in the Schengen within 3 months - not need to apply for other documents.)

All is about my desire that live one place to one place...

Anyway, I gonna send documents for MOM, let's see what will be, will be :D


You don't seem to be living in one place, and then another. Rather, you seem to be collecting concurrent residencies.

Anyway, let us know how you get on!

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:25 am

Beeroclock wrote:
bro75 wrote:
To you and other applicants, when it comes to applying for work in singapore , do not resign or signify to your employer any intention to resign, as long as you do not have the IPA yet. It is what I always advise to other applicants I know.


Re the above advice I tried to do it when I was in similar situation some time ago but was told cannot apply for new EP without canceling existing. So current employer will still come to know. I was very stressed about this despite verbal assurances I also received the EP approval was a formality, but couldn't find a way around except to just take the chance. fortunately it was ok in my case but I did sweat until IPA arrived. This is a big advantage of being PR or having some other work permit that is not employer dependent.


That does not seem correct. My last two employer changes, what would happen is:
1) New employer applies for new EP, receives IPA
2) Resign with current employer, serve notice period
3) Cancel EP on last day of work
4) Issue new EP afterwards

You cannot have to EPs, or even two IPAs, but you can have an existing EP and an IPA for another employer. Unless the rules have changed, that is; but not having an IPA while having your previous EP canceled would leave you with no earnings, so I doubt it.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu, 31 Oct 2013

Postby Beeroclock » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 10:49 am

Hmm perhaps I got it wrong and took an unnecessary risk... I did ask several times and new employer convinced me that the only way to submit the new EP application online was to cancel the existing. There was also pressure to serve notice ASAP as I had a long notice period with existing employer. Anyhow in hindsight I would be more careful, but luckily it turned out ok for me!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 11:36 am

The issue has been discussed before, and SMS would be the subject matter expert to clarify it.

p.s. that said AFAIK AMG has it right, otherwise any time you desired to change job, you'd instead be risking having to leave the country entirely...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34338
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:30 pm

AMG has got it spot on. :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest