Singapore Expats Forum

Work Visa Application got rejected

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 9:09 am

harusame wrote: I understand that my potential employer could not guarantee the work permit. However, they could have just decided much earlier.


So you're blaming the government/MoM? After all it is they that 'decided' your case, and not NUS.

Either way, since your predicament is of your own making, perhaps you will take heed to not repeat such imprudence again.

harusame
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun, 29 Sep 2013

Postby harusame » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 10:52 am

JR8 wrote:
harusame wrote: I understand that my potential employer could not guarantee the work permit. However, they could have just decided much earlier.


So you're blaming the government/MoM? After all it is they that 'decided' your case, and not NUS.

Either way, since your predicament is of your own making, perhaps you will take heed to not repeat such imprudence again.

The government might have their own privilege for not granting work permit, even without some valid reasons

Certainly i held NUS responsible for the false promises they made

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:36 am

I'll be, if you were to go back and read everything carefully, you will find that somewhere in all the dialog, you will find the statement that all offers are contingent on successfully gaining the relevant working permit. It's almost standard in any offer made to a non-Singaporean.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 11:39 am

Yup. But he didn't see/heed that.

And now he's been denied, it's all NUS's fault.

harusame
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun, 29 Sep 2013

Postby harusame » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:31 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'll be, if you were to go back and read everything carefully, you will find that somewhere in all the dialog, you will find the statement that all offers are contingent on successfully gaining the relevant working permit. It's almost standard in any offer made to a non-Singaporean.

JR8 wrote:Yup. But he didn't see/heed that.

And now he's been denied, it's all NUS's fault.


I am fully aware of that condition

According to NUS, my documents have already been assessed by Ministry of finance and later by MoM. This happened before i took the formal offer.
Thus, i was being told they were confident in resolving the work permit issue.
Even until few weeks ago, they clearly stated, they were still confident in overturning MoM's decision.

Like i said in the previous post, it is not about the the rejection itself but more likely about the 4 months pending status
while NUS could have decided the matter much earlier, and be honest with me, concerning the prospect of obtaining a work permit in Singapore.

I am certain, a company with such caliber like NUS would not have this kind of matter for the first time

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 12:37 pm

You can go on and on as much as you like, but you have it back to front.

If you won't listen to basic reason, you'll never find the resolution you seek.

Up to you.

p.s. If you're p'd at NUS, then why not just sue them, rather than posturing around here in front of a bunch of disinterested strangers?

harusame
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun, 29 Sep 2013

Postby harusame » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 1:02 pm

JR8 wrote:You can go on and on as much as you like, but you have it back to front.

If you won't listen to basic reason, you'll never find the resolution you seek.

Up to you.

p.s. If you're p'd at NUS, then why not just sue them, rather than posturing around here in front of a bunch of disinterested strangers?

you are right
the best thing to do right now is to move on
It is obviously a mistake that i put so much trust in NUS

of course i also consider the option to sue them.
except the fact that i would not obtain what i want even if i won the case
and i would be in a worse situation if i lost

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 1:09 pm

OP, please take this as a lesson learnt. You have been naïve in this case. 1st of all its not NUS that promised you a job. Its some person there you were dealing with that gave false assurance that you will get the work permit. You should never believe such assurances, this person is not GOD. Anything can go wrong down the line and the work permit might not come through, you should have factored this.

People everywhere are like that they make false promises. Its upto you to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

I have numerous instances where internal hiring managers have promised that the job offer will come through. One instance, the person said 99.9% you will get it and its a matter of when and not if. Finally, there was a freeze and it never came through, ofcourse, I am an extremely risk averse person, and have numerous backup plans, so such things don't affect me.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 1:41 pm

I also think your salary is likely responsible for your problems. With a number of years of experience in the field this is low, even if you are perfectly fine with it. Singapore is about money and your value is often seen through your income. MOM may see it as an attempt to hire somebody below the market value in expense of local work force. It could be the case anyway.

noskich
Regular
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu, 12 May 2011

Postby noskich » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:15 pm

harusame wrote:
JR8 wrote:
harusame wrote:
As the matter of fact, the funding of my last project came to end recently,
Even though i was being offered a possibility to continue working in the same project but the financial compensation was insufficient for my standard, so i opted to move and find another opportunity in another research project.


So money`s not good enough but:

harusame wrote:
noskich wrote:The salary seems quite low. Have you informed yourself about the living costs?

the salary is decent enough for me, since i am single, and not planning on getting married in the near future

harusame
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun, 29 Sep 2013

Postby harusame » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 5:28 pm

noskich wrote:
harusame wrote:
As the matter of fact, the funding of my last project came to end recently,
Even though i was being offered a possibility to continue working in the same project but the financial compensation was insufficient for my standard, so i opted to move and find another opportunity in another research project.


So money`s not good enough but:

harusame wrote:
noskich wrote:The salary seems quite low. Have you informed yourself about the living costs?

the salary is decent enough for me, since i am single, and not planning on getting married in the near future


i aim for a salary, at least sufficient for my living standard, but obviously not below
and also the personal enjoyment in working

the financial compensation from my previous project after it ended was so low that you could see it as volunteering, but for the local people it was already an above-average salary
well, you know the living standard in some remote areas in the tropics, don't you?
But i managed to extend my position for 6 more months anyway.

noskich
Regular
Regular
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu, 12 May 2011

Postby noskich » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 7:00 pm

harusame wrote:you know the living standard in some remote areas in the tropics, don't you?
ay.


Nope

coollz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu, 05 Dec 2013

Postby coollz » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 11:20 pm

Hi harusame,

just want to share with you that I was actually previously had the same situation as you. All my background are the same as you from the nationality + education. MOM was rejected my EP application over and over again until I have finished my PhD with NUS then MOM approved my application. I have even a higher salary than you but MOM was still rejected my application. It took me almost 1 year to get EP approval by MOM. My approval came only after I have finalized my PhD study with NUS and my supervisor gave a strong appeal letter for me and I have also wrote a letter to MOM explaining my situation together with the appeal letter that submitted by my boss. Hope it helps!

KinKin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013
Location: Finland

TEP

Postby KinKin » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 4:55 pm

Hi Harusame,
Sorry for post a question in your topic.
But I have a kind of urgent query, I want to put my query here.

I am Vietnamese, studying in Finland. I am on the way applying for Training Employment Pass (actually my host company will do it for me) - because the internship in Singapore is compulsory for my degree.

I studied in Finland University - not very famous and high-ranked one, to be honest (of course it is the legal one!!). my Vietnamese friend from the same university also applied for the Training Employment Pass and MOM rejected it.

Therefore, I wanna ask if you guys have any experience to strengthen your documents before submitting. Because MOM said that “Similarly, applicants who do not possess a qualification from an acceptable institution may not necessarily be rejected for TEP, if he possesses other compensating factors”
Keep going

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Dec 2013 5:31 pm

Potential PR collector? They may see it that way. After all, you are Vietnamese, schooling in Finland, already have a US green card but want to do an internship in Singapore? They might see it as the start of a potential PR abuse desiree. I'm not saying they will, but look at it this way. Try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. If you don't try the answer is no. If you do try, it still could be no, but it could possibly be yes.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest