Singapore Expats Forum

Jobs in Singapore on visiting visa.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

prasadseo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 02 Apr 2013

Jobs in Singapore on visiting visa.

Postby prasadseo » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 5:28 pm

Hi friends,

I am new to this forum. I am planning to go Singapore in April 2014 for job search on visit visa. I am Graduate & have three years of experience as SEO. Can I get job on social visit, I am ready to do any job if I didn't get SEO job. Please post your valuable answers I am eagerly waiting for your answers.

Thanks & Regards
Gautham :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 6:03 pm

You cannot work at all, in any capacity if you are on a Social Visit Pass. Put that out of your mind completely. Go to MOM.gov.sg to see the various passes available and the requirements need for same.

prasadseo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 02 Apr 2013

Thank you for Replying

Postby prasadseo » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 6:30 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You cannot work at all, in any capacity if you are on a Social Visit Pass. Put that out of your mind completely. Go to MOM.gov.sg to see the various passes available and the requirements need for same.


Hi,

Thank you for replying. Yes I know that we cannot work on social visit. From India getting Singapore work permit is difficult so I want to search job by coming to Singapore on social visit. If I didnt get job on SEO. Iam ready to work general jobs like working in shopping malls. Can I get job in malls on social visit. Waiting for your reply.

Thanks & Regards
Gautham
:)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 8:54 pm

Doubtful. In fact, in the current climate, I'd say virtually impossible. Frankly, if I may be very blunt, save you money as without experience you cannot get a job here and even with experience, the odds of having a niche field of study or skillset that is not currently very ably filled by locals or can be filled by locals you will not get past the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) even IF you could find an employer. You best bet is to stay in India where the future is brighter at the moment.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 9:44 pm

^^^^ +1 Perxactly.

You can look for jobs while on a SVP, but even without the current xenophobic anti-foreigner sentiment and ever-tighter restrictions on employment passes, etc., you'd be hard pressed to secure a job and the necessary official document to allow you to work here. Keep in mind that the emphasis is on employing Singaporeans first for any position - only if it's impossible to find a local person with the necessary skills and experience (and desire to do the job) would a foreigner be considered. So you would need to have some rare / niche skills & background to stand a chance. I'm not sure that SEO skills would cut it; I'd imagine there is a pool of local talent in that area (but I'm willing to be proved wrong).
Be careful what you wish for

bro75
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun, 02 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby bro75 » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:18 am

Too many foreigners on SVP looking for the same type of jobs you are looking for. With the more strict pass approval criteria, your chances are very low but I will not say it is impossible.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Thank you for Replying

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:57 am

prasadseo wrote:Thank you for replying. Yes I know that we cannot work on social visit. From India getting Singapore work permit is difficult so I want to search job by coming to Singapore on social visit. If I didnt get job on SEO. Iam ready to work general jobs like working in shopping malls. Can I get job in malls on social visit. Waiting for your reply.

Thanks & Regards
Gautham
:)


on a lighter note .. to work in mall, do you know Singlish/Chinese/Bahasa ? :)

Well, don't tell me you can work in "INDIAN" malls, as those jobs are all gone long time ago .. and MOM will not give a "MALL WORKER PERMIT" for an educated guy like you ..

Seriously, you sound desperate .. how old are you, btw ?

years ago, "ANY JOB WILL DO" worked, and employers were happy with that kind of readiness to work ..
iN today's world, an IT guy willing to work as a Office boy means, he is just biding his time to get a better job - and most employers know it.

Though that shoudn't discourage you much .. my lunch outlet has an MBA working as a food service guy ..

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:59 am

There are well qualified wifes with good experience on DPs and they take about 4-5 months to get a job. Some never get. So that should give you a clue as to whether you can make it on a 30 days SVP.

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby yogaloungeforever » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 12:58 pm

I recently got to know of one lady from Europe who arrived into Singapore about 3 weeks before. She mentioned her husband was still back in Europe waiting for her to secure a full time permanent job and stability in Singapore before joining her. In the mean time she was able to secure part time work at European SME (who what I understood from her, had put her on part time role for 3 months only whilst they were in the midst of looking for a local to fill
that role she was in).

I believe she was on a social visit pass unless there's another special pass that I unaware of that will allow her to work part time for 3 month. How is this possible?

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You cannot work at all, in any capacity if you are on a Social Visit Pass. Put that out of your mind completely. Go to MOM.gov.sg to see the various passes available and the requirements need for same.
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 1:16 pm

You can get an EP for a little as 3 months. It might be easy if hired for a specific project that required her expertise but the likelihood of it being renewed is rather slim if at all. It was probably sold to MOM on that basis as well.

She may well have managed to get a Work/Holiday pass as well. This is also non-renewable but there are certain conditions with regard to schooling to get this pass. Lot's of the western foreigners one see servicing diners on the Quays are on these types of passes.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun, 23 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby yogaloungeforever » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 3:59 pm

She was a lady in her late 40s from the Netherlands

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You can get an EP for a little as 3 months. It might be easy if hired for a specific project that required her expertise but the likelihood of it being renewed is rather slim if at all. It was probably sold to MOM on that basis as well.

She may well have managed to get a Work/Holiday pass as well. This is also non-renewable but there are certain conditions with regard to schooling to get this pass. Lot's of the western foreigners one see servicing diners on the Quays are on these types of passes.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

prasadseo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 02 Apr 2013

what is DP

Postby prasadseo » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 5:03 pm

Wd40 wrote:There are well qualified wifes with good experience on DPs and they take about 4-5 months to get a job. Some never get. So that should give you a clue as to whether you can make it on a 30 days SVP.


Hi,

Thank you for replying. What is DP means.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: what is DP

Postby the lynx » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 5:04 pm

prasadseo wrote:
Wd40 wrote:There are well qualified wifes with good experience on DPs and they take about 4-5 months to get a job. Some never get. So that should give you a clue as to whether you can make it on a 30 days SVP.


Hi,

Thank you for replying. What is DP means.


Dependent Pass. Issued to spouses or children of Employment Pass holders.

prasadseo
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue, 02 Apr 2013

Thank you for replying and please give valuable suggestions

Postby prasadseo » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Friends,
Thank you for replying to my question. Your answers says getting job in Singapore is very difficult on visiting Visa. But what to do? It is my dream to work in Singapore. To have more job chances I want to learn DTP Artist (Graphic artist) and also want to learn Chinese. What you say friends? Is there any course where we get job easily in Singapore. Eagerly waiting for your answers.

Gautham

:)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35175
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 26 Sep 2013 5:26 pm

It's never been easy, and it is getting near impossible now unless you have experience and then it's still not doable if there are Singaporean with the same skillsets.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest