Singapore Expats Forum

LOCAL EXPERIENCE - how to get a start???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

PNGMK
Director
Director

Re: LOCAL EXPERIENCE - how to get a start???

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:01 am

AngMoG wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
goggoberri wrote:
azreal8888 wrote:hi all

i'm an aussie chartered accountant and mba with only aussie experience with multi nationals.

i've been applying for 6 months with limited success despite lowering my salary requirements dramatically.

an agent rejected my application with the feedback employers are only looking for candidates with LOCAL EXPERIENCE.

QN: how does one get a chance to acquire local experience????

I've lowered my salary requirements, and applying for VERY junior roles still and discounted myself but no bite.

anyone able to offer suggestions??? my relationship is on the line if im unable to relocate and find work.

thanks

4k is still too much for local companies. if you want local exp, you need to start at the very bottom. That means around 3k salary. More than what a fresh grad would get in a local company, but less than the salary for an experienced local. You need to underbid the locals in order to stand a chance.

He can't bid lower than the work permit limit though.

Frankly, I don't think he'll get a work visa approved with 15 years experience as accountant and asking $4K or less. Nevermind that from a career point of view, that is not exactly a good thing to do, to go for a junior position when you have senior experience.

+1 - I think he should just keep trying to find the right position for his experience. I KNOW there are Australian CPA's hired here....

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Postby yogaloungeforever » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 2:08 pm

sounds like relationship of convenience to me

PNGMK wrote:
azreal8888 wrote:

I'm curious why you think your relationship is doomed without you finding a job?

Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 2:20 pm

yogaloungeforever wrote:sounds like relationship of convenience to me

PNGMK wrote:
azreal8888 wrote:

I'm curious why you think your relationship is doomed without you finding a job?

More like a tunnel vision SC girlfriend I suspect.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 2:27 pm

Yup. I'd tend to agree.