Singapore Expats Forum

LOCAL EXPERIENCE - how to get a start???

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

azreal8888
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 16 Jul 2013

LOCAL EXPERIENCE - how to get a start???

Postby azreal8888 » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 8:36 am

hi all

i'm an aussie chartered accountant and mba with only aussie experience with multi nationals.

i've been applying for 6 months with limited success despite lowering my salary requirements dramatically.

an agent rejected my application with the feedback employers are only looking for candidates with LOCAL EXPERIENCE.

QN: how does one get a chance to acquire local experience????

I've lowered my salary requirements, and applying for VERY junior roles still and discounted myself but no bite.

anyone able to offer suggestions??? my relationship is on the line if im unable to relocate and find work.

thanks

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 8:55 am

1. I'd target MNC's (they will be more accepting of global experience and may need an Australian experienced CPA).
2. I'd use the pull method of bringing attention to yourself via LI as well as pushing out. (search for a post on LinkedIn by Offshoreoildude)
3. I'd at look at volunteering to be the treasurer of various organizations to build up local experience (and also assist people doing their tax returns if that's possible).

Your biggest issue will be finding a job that gets you a work permit to live her I think.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 9:28 am

PNGMK wrote:3. I'd at look at volunteering to be the treasurer of various organizations to build up local experience (and also assist people doing their tax returns if that's possible).


errr .. volunteering at a local organisation as treasurer ? good luck with that :)

And I believe OP is on Social visa.

BTW, azreal8888: 9 out of 10 guys who migrate to Australia are in worse situation than you .. it takes between 6 months to 1 year or more, to get noticed .. and all those who struggled in Australia had the same story - Aussie Employers reject those who don't have "AUSSIE" experience, and don't speak "AUSSIE" .. never mind you have domain experience ..

nice eh ? not rubbing it in .. that's the world for you ..

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 3:47 pm

Have you applied through Monster?

http://jobsearch.monster.com.sg/searchr ... accountant

I see plenty of jobs. Some 15 jobs with just one recruiter. On the left side of the page you can see all the recruiters under the top employers list. Try to contact them individually and build a rapport with them.

You need to get personal and network a lot to get noticed.

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue, 25 Jun 2013

Postby livingontheedge » Tue, 24 Sep 2013 7:35 pm

What is your salary expectations as a VERY VERY JUNIOR ROLE?

If you can stomach a pay cut - consider starting out in Audit roles as an Associate. They are always in need of staff.

azreal8888
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 16 Jul 2013

Postby azreal8888 » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:14 pm

livingontheedge:

i'm even willing to take graduate salary levels ie $4k to get experience; or even work for free! i have 15yrs experience and applying for grad and junior roles isnt effective as employers are suspicious of my motivations.

Wd40:

thank but the problem is not so much applying for role but getting interest without having local experience. i've only found one recruiter so far who is willing to represent me given my PR status and non-regional experience.

PNGMK:

thanks. i'm considering volunteering. does anyone know of a good resource? i found a good site on the weekend but lost the link.

Any other ideas guys? Is the contracting market likely to be easier to enter in the accounting sphere with no regional experience or US GAAP knowledge?

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:26 pm

azreal8888 wrote:livingontheedge:

i'm even willing to take graduate salary levels ie $4k to get experience; or even work for free! i have 15yrs experience and applying for grad and junior roles isnt effective as employers are suspicious of my motivations.

Wd40:

thank but the problem is not so much applying for role but getting interest without having local experience. i've only found one recruiter so far who is willing to represent me given my PR status and non-regional experience.

PNGMK:

thanks. i'm considering volunteering. does anyone know of a good resource? i found a good site on the weekend but lost the link.

Any other ideas guys? Is the contracting market likely to be easier to enter in the accounting sphere with no regional experience or US GAAP knowledge?


You're a PR? I'd look at people like PWHC who need Aussie accountants for Sing/Aussie business or even people like Weatherford/Haliburton/SLB etc who operate into Australia.

azreal8888
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue, 16 Jul 2013

Postby azreal8888 » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 12:40 pm

[/quote]

You're a PR? I'd look at people like PWHC who need Aussie accountants for Sing/Aussie business or even people like Weatherford/Haliburton/SLB etc who operate into Australia.[/quote]

sorry im actually not a PR. I'm engaged to a local though.

QN: does PR status make much of a difference when seeking work?

Thanks. I'll check out your suggested companies. Nothing came up for PWHC though unless you meant PWC?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 1:34 pm

When you said you're PR, you meant you're Singapore PR or Aussie PR?

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 25 Sep 2013 1:41 pm

azreal8888 wrote:


You're a PR? I'd look at people like PWHC who need Aussie accountants for Sing/Aussie business or even people like Weatherford/Haliburton/SLB etc who operate into Australia.[/quote]

sorry im actually not a PR. I'm engaged to a local though.

QN: does PR status make much of a difference when seeking work?

Thanks. I'll check out your suggested companies. Nothing came up for PWHC though unless you meant PWC?[/quote]

Yeah PWC. PR helps A LOT- there is a real tightening up on foreign worker quotas.

I'm curious why you think your relationship is doomed without you finding a job?

HAVE you got a linked in profile? If you PM it to me (I'll protect your confidentiality) I'll scan it and help point you in the direction of some head hunters.

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue, 25 Jun 2013

Postby livingontheedge » Fri, 27 Sep 2013 1:50 pm

Your case is quite unusual. 15 years of accounting experience and $4k expected remuneration should land you a pretty decent job as a financial analyst, financial controller, audit senior, etc. There are only probably a few key differences between the Singapore and Aussie accounting - the defined benefits plan and taxation.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 27 Sep 2013 1:53 pm

Its actually PwC :)

goggoberri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 01 Oct 2013

Re: LOCAL EXPERIENCE - how to get a start???

Postby goggoberri » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 2:26 am

azreal8888 wrote:hi all

i'm an aussie chartered accountant and mba with only aussie experience with multi nationals.

i've been applying for 6 months with limited success despite lowering my salary requirements dramatically.

an agent rejected my application with the feedback employers are only looking for candidates with LOCAL EXPERIENCE.

QN: how does one get a chance to acquire local experience????

I've lowered my salary requirements, and applying for VERY junior roles still and discounted myself but no bite.

anyone able to offer suggestions??? my relationship is on the line if im unable to relocate and find work.

thanks


4k is still too much for local companies. if you want local exp, you need to start at the very bottom. That means around 3k salary. More than what a fresh grad would get in a local company, but less than the salary for an experienced local. You need to underbid the locals in order to stand a chance.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: LOCAL EXPERIENCE - how to get a start???

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 8:44 am

goggoberri wrote:
azreal8888 wrote:hi all

i'm an aussie chartered accountant and mba with only aussie experience with multi nationals.

i've been applying for 6 months with limited success despite lowering my salary requirements dramatically.

an agent rejected my application with the feedback employers are only looking for candidates with LOCAL EXPERIENCE.

QN: how does one get a chance to acquire local experience????

I've lowered my salary requirements, and applying for VERY junior roles still and discounted myself but no bite.

anyone able to offer suggestions??? my relationship is on the line if im unable to relocate and find work.

thanks


4k is still too much for local companies. if you want local exp, you need to start at the very bottom. That means around 3k salary. More than what a fresh grad would get in a local company, but less than the salary for an experienced local. You need to underbid the locals in order to stand a chance.


He can't bid lower than the work permit limit though.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Re: LOCAL EXPERIENCE - how to get a start???

Postby AngMoG » Tue, 01 Oct 2013 9:34 am

PNGMK wrote:
goggoberri wrote:
azreal8888 wrote:hi all

i'm an aussie chartered accountant and mba with only aussie experience with multi nationals.

i've been applying for 6 months with limited success despite lowering my salary requirements dramatically.

an agent rejected my application with the feedback employers are only looking for candidates with LOCAL EXPERIENCE.

QN: how does one get a chance to acquire local experience????

I've lowered my salary requirements, and applying for VERY junior roles still and discounted myself but no bite.

anyone able to offer suggestions??? my relationship is on the line if im unable to relocate and find work.

thanks


4k is still too much for local companies. if you want local exp, you need to start at the very bottom. That means around 3k salary. More than what a fresh grad would get in a local company, but less than the salary for an experienced local. You need to underbid the locals in order to stand a chance.


He can't bid lower than the work permit limit though.


Frankly, I don't think he'll get a work visa approved with 15 years experience as accountant and asking $4K or less. Nevermind that from a career point of view, that is not exactly a good thing to do, to go for a junior position when you have senior experience.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest