Singapore Expats

Religious Criticism

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
salmanucit

Religious Criticism

Post by salmanucit » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 7:26 pm

Hello,
I know about an expat who is currently Singapore based and he actually criticizes and ridicules god and prophets and their teachings and different religions. I am not sure about Laws off Singapore about religious harmony and whether some one is allowed to do all this on Twitter and his personal bolg. Can anyone guide me if this is allowed and he is free to do this or can a complain be lodged against him because of this disharmonious work?
Thanks

Salman

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 7:36 pm

I think that on his blog/twitter he is probably ok provided that the statements are not openly hateful or derogatory but he needs to be careful, esp with criticism of the Prophet Mohamed (PBUH). You are not allowed to openly proselytize here though as a Christian by handling out pamphlets or preaching in the streets for example.

salmanucit

Post by salmanucit » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 7:48 pm

well, that guy looks quite blunt. for example, in one of his posts, he says Hazrat Maryam (Merry, the mother of Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H) was in relationship with some one (out of wedlock) and then Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H bourn as a result. I believe this comment is equally painful for both Christians and Muslims.

Salman

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 7:53 pm

salmanucit wrote:well, that guy looks quite blunt. for example, in one of his posts, he says Hazrat Maryam (Merry, the mother of Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H) was in relationship with some one (out of wedlock) and then Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H bourn as a result. I believe this comment is equally painful for both Christians and Muslims.

Salman
No particularly wise but in my personal experience criticism of Christian prophets, heroes, saints and the Bible is not prosecuted as much as criticism of the other religions. In fact Christians are in a minority here and feel that they are to some extent persecuted (I'd not really agree - try being a Christian in - oh lets say Saudi Arabia or maybe North Korea to feel persecuted).

An important part of the difference in people's reaction to this is that Christians in general feel that their God is powerful enough to take charge of all things and that their affairs should not generally be held in the courts of the land. Muslims feel (IME) very much different.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 8:03 pm

I think if someone is preaching religious intolerance or hate then they can be reported but I don't think merely having a view on an aspect of any religion can be seen as a cause of general concern.

The problem with denying people freedom of speech is that there may be the day you are gagged yourself.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 8:16 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I think if someone is preaching religious intolerance or hate then they can be reported but I don't think merely having a view on an aspect of any religion can be seen as a cause of general concern.

The problem with denying people freedom of speech is that there may be the day you are gagged yourself.
Very well said.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 8:38 pm

salmanucit wrote:well, that guy looks quite blunt. for example, in one of his posts, he says Hazrat Maryam (Merry, the mother of Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H) was in relationship with some one (out of wedlock) and then Prophet Jesus P.B.U.H bourn as a result. I believe this comment is equally painful for both Christians and Muslims.

Salman
Painful? I just can't imagine how someone's opinion can be "painful" for you particularly since it is not personally directed. Remember the childhood saying "sticks and stones.....".

A person solid and confident in their faith would not feel hurt or pained by what this guy says. Unless there is truth in it.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 8:39 pm

The law in Singapore is that you can not publish or say in public anything that it likely to incite religious or racial intolerance.
Also monks, pastors etc are not allowed to compare religions adversely.
You are not supposed to entice someone to change religion.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 8:54 pm

Salman
Let him be. Criticism should be taken just as that. A lot of religious strife comes from people being offended by people who don't understand. He is voicing an informed speculation at best or looking like an ignorant idiot at worst. If he's really offending people, he will get a lot of attention and that will make his life difficult. If people are ignoring him, he will just look like a crazy person shouting at no one. Or he could be in the middle and he won't be really affecting your life.

You can't always depend on a higher authority because someone's making you uncomfortable. It's all up to you how you choose to react to his criticisms which may or may not be directed at you.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 9:09 pm

Also, random expat appears to not be your friend so I suggest if his posts upset you you just decline to read them. If he is your friend then you can click not to have updates. That's what I've had to do with some people I'm very fond of who have views that bother me.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 9:37 pm

This is the problem with religion. It's ideas and tenets cannot stand on their own, therefore religions force laws into being to penalize people for criticizing or commenting in ways that the religion is not appropriate. Otherwise know as BLASPHEMY.

OP - Grow a thick skin. It's all made up anyway. Mumbo jumbo crap. Magic. Sky Daddy's that are going to kick your ass if you don't stay in line. Men who are gods. Gods in man's own image. People hearing voices, then writing it down in and calling it the word of god.

If you want to believe it, fine... just don't ask me to stop calling your beliefs, or anyone else's for that matter, irrational, illogical, useless... indeed... damaging.

And OP - what are you going to do... lodge a complaint against me because you don't like my words?
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Sun, 22 Sep 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 9:47 pm

IMO it's about the intentions. if this is just his opinion he has the right to express it. If this is to insult a group of people based on their religion it's probably a criminal offense.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 9:49 pm

x9200 wrote:IMO it's about the intentions. if this is just his opinion he has the right to express it. If this is to insult a group of people based on their religion it's probably a criminal offense.

And why should that be a criminal offense? Any more than insulting a group of people over the team they support or the clothes they wear? Why does my freedom of speech not extend to this?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 10:13 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
x9200 wrote:IMO it's about the intentions. if this is just his opinion he has the right to express it. If this is to insult a group of people based on their religion it's probably a criminal offense.

And why should that be a criminal offense? Any more than insulting a group of people over the team they support or the clothes they wear? Why does my freedom of speech not extend to this?
Because Singapore had decided this is the way they want to handle large groups of people from different religions living in very close proximity. I personally have no problem with it. I know you (SE) aren't here anymore and perhaps have forgotten how easy it would be for a large racial or religious riot to break out again. ALL the police cars in Singapore (and ambulances) still have riot-shield fixings on their windows.... still - that tells me all I need to know about the intel they have.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sun, 22 Sep 2013 10:14 pm

I'm not comfortable with insulting any group of people for their clothes or religion. You can deride people for deplorable actions but I think if we allow abuse we are upholding complete freedom of speech whilst removing other people's right to peace.

But I agree with your post before that. 100%.

Return to “General Discussions”