Singapore Expats

Another article damning Singapore's tranport situation

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Another article damning Singapore's tranport situation

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:02 am

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-1 ... -asia.html

Singapore ranked below Kuala Lumpur and New Delhi in a survey of commuters’ experience based on speed, cost of travel and overall comfort, released in 2011 by Frost & Sullivan Inc.
Say a lot, doesn't it :P

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:25 am

Seems ridiculous. I think the studies are done on 'expectations' not on actualities. Transport here is brilliant!

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:41 am

Can't speak to New Delhi, but there's no comparison between KL and Singapore in the mass transit department.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 10:47 am

katbh wrote:Seems ridiculous. I think the studies are done on 'expectations' not on actualities. Transport here is brilliant!
Exactly! All this survey tells me is that those surveyed have unrealistic expectations.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:00 am

zzm9980 wrote:
katbh wrote:Seems ridiculous. I think the studies are done on 'expectations' not on actualities. Transport here is brilliant!
Exactly! All this survey tells me is that those surveyed have unrealistic expectations.
And most people referenced in the survey sound like high flying expats working in the CBD and not locals. So its a relative thing, compared to few years ago as well as expectations of what Singapore stands for in terms of transportation efficiency.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 11:58 am

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
And most people referenced in the survey sound like high flying expats working in the CBD and not locals. So its a relative thing, compared to few years ago as well as expectations of what Singapore stands for in terms of transportation efficiency.
My thought was it was a bunch of CBD locals "oh NE line oso got outage again, so bad laa"

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 3:18 pm

I reckon you're right, public transport in Singapore is great. But I have to say that MRT's standards are slipping. Sure, it's still squeeky clean, cheap, safe and fast. Just that those loooooooong stretches of rooooolling ever sooooo sloooooowly for no discernible reason are getting to be a bit of a pain. Is it that bracket issue still?

On a side-note, the other day, I took the train, followed by the bus for a few stops. When I tapped out, the grand total was 1 cent! How awesome is that?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 3:23 pm

Max Headroom wrote:I reckon you're right, public transport in Singapore is great. But I have to say that MRT's standards are slipping. Sure, it's still squeeky clean, cheap, safe and fast. Just that those loooooooong stretches of rooooolling ever sooooo sloooooowly for no discernible reason are getting to be a bit of a pain. Is it that bracket issue still?

On a side-note, the other day, I took the train, followed by the bus for a few stops. When I tapped out, the grand total was 1 cent! How awesome is that?
Yeah, I would just go mad listening to the "doors are closing" "doors are opening" day in and day out. I can't imagine how people stand that anything more than 4-5 stops. The best thing I ever did in Singapore, is to take up riding motorbike.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 3:25 pm

Max Headroom wrote:On a side-note, the other day, I took the train, followed by the bus for a few stops. When I tapped out, the grand total was 1 cent! How awesome is that?
That's your transfer fare for that bus part, dear.

Total fare is stated on top right corner of the screen.

http://www.publictransport.sg/content/d ... 27_Eng.jpg

Edited: Sorry, tried showing the image here but it would stretch the whole window.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Max Headroom » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 3:42 pm

the lynx wrote:
Max Headroom wrote:On a side-note, the other day, I took the train, followed by the bus for a few stops. When I tapped out, the grand total was 1 cent! How awesome is that?
That's your transfer fare for that bus part, dear.

Total fare is stated on top right corner of the screen.

http://www.publictransport.sg/content/d ... 27_Eng.jpg

Edited: Sorry, tried showing the image here but it would stretch the whole window.
Sure sure, understood, but still eh. In my home country they'd say, Bugger you, we don't do increments, you lose, that's 2 euro, sucker.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 5:41 pm

I'd say it's dependent on where you going and how far it is to get there. Remember that bikes aren't allowed on expressways.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Another article damning Singapore's tranport situation

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 5:43 pm

searth63 wrote:but over the years, as the authorities proclaimed, "world class" transport",...
What other cities of similar density have you used public transit in and found it to be better?
searth63 wrote:And Yes, it IS faster to use a bicycle - than a car , or any other officia transport mode.

Sad, isn't it.
I have no doubt that some routes for arbitrary point A to point Bs will be faster on bicycle. But I highly doubt that is the case for 90%+ of the daily commuters on public transit.

So no, it's not really sad.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 5:47 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
searth63 wrote:but over the years, as the authorities proclaimed, "world class" transport",...
What other cities of similar density have you used public transit in and found it to be better?
http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/press ... =232729112

Its not just public transport. Its transportation options as a whole. Also it not just the time taken, its the whole experience. By making cars exorbitantly expensive, the gahmen has kind of "forced" the public transportation on the people and given that limitation, if your ride in MRT isn't comfortable, then you are definitely going to be unhappy. I guess that explains why the ranking in the survey is so bad.

May be thats the reason why Dubai ranks so high. Petrol is cheap and cars are cheap. Who cares about congestion, when you can have a land rover for yourself :cool: I dont mind spending another hour on the road if I can drive that car, because I can then drop my wife to office or drop my kids to school. Go out on drives with family on weekends. Damn the "world class" public transport man. I would rather have the car.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 6:05 pm

It's probably only the car ownership costs that have driven Singapore so far down the rankings as that is also one of the markers for the survey.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 6:53 pm

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/press ... =232729112

Its not just public transport. Its transportation options as a whole. Also it not just the time taken, its the whole experience. By making cars exorbitantly expensive, the gahmen has kind of "forced" the public transportation on the people and given that limitation, if your ride in MRT isn't comfortable, then you are definitely going to be unhappy. I guess that explains why the ranking in the survey is so bad.

May be thats the reason why Dubai ranks so high. Petrol is cheap and cars are cheap. Who cares about congestion, when you can have a land rover for yourself :cool: I dont mind spending another hour on the road if I can drive that car, because I can then drop my wife to office or drop my kids to school. Go out on drives with family on weekends. Damn the "world class" public transport man. I would rather have the car.
I don't want to exclusively go just public transport or just drive a car as like having options. Options are nice.

* when parking is nigh impossible or too expensive
* when there will be no buses or trains to where you're going
* when taking public transport will take the long way only
* when you're gonna be royally sloshed
* when you have to haul too much stuff and cabs just won't do

You get the idea.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."