Singapore Expats

WFT? Ex wife sells HDB flat (hers) and I get 77k?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

WFT? Ex wife sells HDB flat (hers) and I get 77k?

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 7:39 pm

Can someone explain this...

When I split up with the wicked witch of Toa Payoh in the middles ages of 2005 we had a Syariah court divorce. In that I agreed (amongst) other things to remove my name from the flat we lived in and to do this I would pay CPF and HDB any monies outstanding. i.e. clear the loan and pay CPF out for the contributions that CPF had made on my behalf.

I paid HDB out on the small loan. OK so far.

I then paid (as I recall) CPF the amount of money that had been used from my CPF for the flat including the deferred or accrued interest.... about $77k.

My name was removed by HDB - this is circumstancially evident by the maintenance bills etc no longer being in my name. This to me means that CPF notified HDB that they no longer had an interest on my behalf.

Now the WWOTP (aka Jandarku) has decided to sell her flat (ok by me, not mine, nothing to do with me) suddenly I am being told (by her and her RE agent) that I will be paid another 77k into my CPF account and of course the WWOTP wants this money.

This makes no sense to me because I'm certain I arranged matters so that I had no equity and CPF had no equity (in my name) in this property.

Unfortunately CPF only has the last 5 years statements online and I dread the hours of queuing this will involve at CPF/HDB. Does anyone have any opinions on the truth of this statement? (and no, I'm not sending my ex wife a cheque for $77,000 even if $77,000 mysteriously appears in my CPF account - I followed the court order to the letter which is a phucking lot more than she did when it came to accessing my son).

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 8:07 pm

I'm starting to get my head around this...

It seems HDB (not CPF) believe they have a liability to my CPF account for $77,000 - EVEN though I have paid CPF that money. It seems HDB cannot pay a single dollar from a CPF account to anyone else but the account holder they received the money from in the first place!

I don't want the money and I need advise on how to stop it ending up in my CPF account.

It seems Singapore has two currencies... the commonly traded SGD and the CPF SGD which is tracked and managed very tightly.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 8:21 pm

I say take it and play dumb. Let her go through the hassle of engaging and paying a lawyer to get something drafted and/or go to court to get the money back. When a judge or someone tells you to return it, return it. Until then, screw her.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 8:23 pm

^^This!

Sounds sensible to me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 9:41 pm

Change your number too if she has it. IMO a free $77k is probably worth the hassle. :)

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:42 pm

I only know normal situation.

When HDB sold, what ever amount money that use from CPF to pay for the HDB MUST be return CPF account include accrued interest.

I don't think you can stop that transaction.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:27 pm

therat wrote:I only know normal situation.

When HDB sold, what ever amount money that use from CPF to pay for the HDB MUST be return CPF account include accrued interest.

I don't think you can stop that transaction.
Yeah that's what I'm thinking... however there shouldn't be any money owed to my CPF account as I actually paid that amount off with cash (as part of the court ordered process). Perhaps all I did was top up my CPF with $77,000 cash? Ooops.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:02 am

zzm9980 wrote:Change your number too if she has it. IMO a free $77k is probably worth the hassle. :)
It's blood money, full of bad Karma. It will only bring pain.

Someone tried to bribe me a few months back - my reaction was the same - keep your stinking blood money out of my life.

You need to learn to to say no to somethings in your life. All wolves know how to wear a sheep skin.