Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore Property Search

Staying alone in Singapore for one month

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
MetroResidences

spbhagade

Staying alone in Singapore for one month

Postby spbhagade » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 6:50 pm

Hello,

I want to stay in Singapore for one month for work. My working place is near Jurong East. I dont want to stay in Hotels as I dont have budget for that. My budget is around 800k for Rent. Kitchen would be of advantage.

Any suggestions?

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Stevie_W » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:03 pm

For 800K you could probably buy an apartment.
Or did you mean SG$800? In which case you may be able to find a flat share. I haven't looked down the route of flat shares but i know a few people who have and they seem quite happy with them

spbhagade

Postby spbhagade » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:07 pm

I mean $800 ... these flat shares are available in Jurong? I hope there wont be any lease or agreement? Do I need to pay anything in advance or just $800 ...

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Stevie_W » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:08 pm

I would have thought they'd be available throughout most of sing. As to what you pay, i'll leave that to the next person that comes along.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:01 pm

Short-term staying is not "preferable" for the landlords here, so most likely it is impossible for you to find any HDB rooms to rent (the public housing) or even condos. Singapore government is kinda strict on "transient tenants"

I think you'd have a better chance to stay at a hostel instead...isn't your company looking for temporary accommodations for you?

Anyway, check out sundaymorningstaple's sig for help, as from me, I'd suggest you try the ..sg, as that's where I found my place.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Fortan » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 1:07 pm

check out www.airbnb.com

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 1:26 pm

Akimbo wrote:Short-term staying is not "preferable" for the landlords here, so most likely it is impossible for you to find any HDB rooms to rent (the public housing) or even condos. Singapore government is kinda strict on "transient tenants"

For HDB too, The enforcers have been going out in full force, enforcing those who let out for short stay ..

Though some unscrupulous tenants sub-let. be careful ..

I would suggest you get a hostel near to town and travel .. not much of choice, for the budget ..

sundaymorningstaple

Re: Staying alone in Singapore for one month

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 1:28 pm

spbhagade wrote:Hello,

I want to stay in Singapore for one month for work. My working place is near Jurong East. I dont want to stay in Hotels as I dont have budget for that. My budget is around 800k for Rent. Kitchen would be of advantage.

Any suggestions?

The first question I have is "are you going to be on a proper employment permit?" as this will be a big determining factor as to where you can stay. Legally, that is. Unless you hold some type of residency permit, you cannot rent a room in a private home but are confined to hostels, hotels, or Serviced Apartments. (residency means citizenship/PR/EP/WP/DP/LTVP)

spbhagade

Postby spbhagade » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 2:46 pm

I have valid EP. I want to stay alone for one month and then my family will be coming after one month. So in one month I can search for a good condo/Apartment/HDB for us.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 2:48 pm

spbhagade wrote:I have valid EP. I want to stay alone for one month and then my family will be coming after one month. So in one month I can search for a good condo/Apartment/HDB for us.

So after one month, your family will visit you after you end your one-month stint?

Just trying to understand your situation before giving better advice.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 2:55 pm

If you have a valid EP, then with that EP you can stay where ever someone will be willing to rent to you for a month. Again, some suggestions have already been made. You will need to call them to make arrangements and find out if they will rent short term. Or, you can look for a backpacker hotel and bunk in a common room with a dozen other people. There are not any cheap lodgings like B&B here so something like craigslist or other like it will probably be your only option. Be very careful and don't part with any monies until you see paperwork as otherwise you will surely get ripped off. Most come here and stay in a Serviced Apartment until they find what they need. Most companies pony up for a couple of week/month for the serviced apt.

spbhagade

Postby spbhagade » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 1:41 pm

Yes. My family will be joining me after one month and during this one month I can find good home for them. I heard that most of small families staying in 3 room can rent out a room for a month.

What is cost of hostel stay in Singapore?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 2:58 pm

spbhagade, you haven't answered Lynx's question...now I'm also utterly confused.

You're coming to Singapore for work for one month, and at the end of that month, your family will be coming here.....for vacation or for good? (for good is impossible, I think...)

I assume, your EPass is only valid for one month of work, so how'd even be able to legally rent a room/house after that?

Everybody in this thread is trying to help you, but information on what you're exactly trying to do is quite scarce, we can't give you the advice that you need.

As for your hostel question, I see in hostelworld.com , the cheapest private room you can get is around 20 SGD/night...so that's 600 bux for a month, I guess. Can't guarantee much on the cleanliness unfortunately.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 3:14 pm

I see somebody who's first language isn't English. I think he has a position and has an AIP for the EP. He wants to come here first to find a location to live and subsequently bring his family over after finding a place to rent for the family. Therefore he's looking for the cheapest digs he can find for a month until he gets permanent lodging for the whole family sorted out. At least that's the way I'm reading it now. If here for only 30 days, might not even need EP, but only special pass (for less than 60 days max).

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 3:35 pm

What's AIP? I only know of a TEP...

But that's kind of weird...this is the first time I've ever seen someone that wants to bring their family over, when their work situation in Singapore is only for one month...

Although if what he means is,

"I have a valid EP to work in Singapore. The company is located in Jurong East. I would like to find a single private accommodation for one month (max budget is $800) while searching for a bigger accommodation for my family who I will bring over at the end of that first month. They will come and stay with me using a Dependant Pass, which I've also already gotten for them."

would make more sense...

So, OP...am I and SMS correct? Or do you literally mean what you wrote? Because with bringing family over when you're only working for one month, that's already a slightly different ball game...