Singapore Expats Forum

Evening Snack

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wd40
Director
Director

Evening Snack

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:15 pm

When hit "Evening Snack" in Google Singapore, I get primarily webpages based in India. :?

Do you guys have Evening Snacks? What are good options for quick and healthy snacks?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:19 pm

1. Baby carrots (either raw or boiled)

2. Unsalted unsweetened nuts (good for office boredom)

3. Fruits (berries are the easiest)

4. Steamed/boiled edamame (my favourite!)

To be honest, I've weaned myself off evening snacks so I no longer have the need for that. :P

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 5:35 pm

I have to stop the Evening Snack again! I had it stopped for 4 years and somehow, in the past year I've allowed it to start happening again. So it's cost me around 7 kg that I've now got to lose all over again. Sure which my knees were better! :-(

durain
Director
Director

Postby durain » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:21 pm

roti prata and a tea tarik for me :D

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:35 pm

One or two squares of chocolate.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:37 pm

Turnips, celery stalks, carrot sticks or whole heads of lettuce should fill you up. Drink plenty of water while you're at it.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:47 pm

Wah, chocolates yum yum(but 2 squares not enough), turnip yuck yuck :) Cant there be something that tastes nice and healthy as well?

Currently I do 2 slices of whole wheat bread with peanut butter, but I want to diversify.
Last edited by Wd40 on Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 8:49 pm

Put a little salt then.

Bread and peanut butter? Tsk, tsk...

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:41 pm

A family sized bag of kettle chips and 3 beers.

PNGMK
Governor
Governor

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:28 pm

Hannieroo wrote:A family sized bag of kettle chips and 3 beers.

And she needs it ;)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:46 pm

lots of water and some melon - just finished, if still hungry see Hanieroo...
nutnut

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:18 pm

The only fruits that give me the feeling of "eating" are banana and papaya. Everything else feels so watery.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Postby bloodhound123 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:53 pm

If this is related to your earlier "fitness" thread then you should ideally be doing 5-6 meals a day for the most appropriate lifestyle. Each meal comprising a good mix of carbs, veggies and proteins.

I have been doing 3 meals a day in the recent past and sometimes only 2. Most often my evening snacks is just 2 cigarettes and some drink.
Trying to revert back to the 5 meals a day schedule.

I am assuming you realize that doing a heavy dinner ( esp a couple of hrs before bed) does more harm than good.

Wd40
Director
Director

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:02 am

bloodhound123 wrote:If this is related to your earlier "fitness" thread then you should ideally be doing 5-6 meals a day for the most appropriate lifestyle. Each meal comprising a good mix of carbs, veggies and proteins.

I have been doing 3 meals a day in the recent past and sometimes only 2. Most often my evening snacks is just 2 cigarettes and some drink.

I am assuming you realize that doing a heavy dinner ( esp a couple of hrs before bed) does more harm than good.

Thanks. Yeah, I too have read that having 4-5 small meals a day is better than 3 grand meals for losing fat. Also, guess what being an Indian vegetarian means even those 3 meals were not so grand calorieswise or qualitywise in the 1st place. That convinced me more than anything else, that its ok to have a proper evening snack. I mean you need 2000 calories a day. There is no way you can get that much calories in 3 meals, if there is no meat in there.

For dinner, its kind of heavy. I am trying to reduce the rice and increase the salads. Also I take dinner at 8:30-9:00 but go to bed only past midnight, sometime even later, so that helps.

bloodhound123
Regular
Regular

Postby bloodhound123 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:25 am

Wd40 wrote:
bloodhound123 wrote:If this is related to your earlier "fitness" thread then you should ideally be doing 5-6 meals a day for the most appropriate lifestyle. Each meal comprising a good mix of carbs, veggies and proteins.

Thanks. Yeah, I too have read that having 4-5 small meals a day is better than 3 grand meals for losing fat. Also, guess what being an Indian vegetarian means even those 3 meals were not so grand calorieswise or qualitywise in the 1st place. That convinced me more than anything else, that its ok to have a proper evening snack. I mean you need 2000 calories a day. There is no way you can get that much calories in 3 meals, if there is no meat in there.

For dinner, its kind of heavy. I am trying to reduce the rice and increase the salads. Also I take dinner at 8:30-9:00 but go to bed only past midnight, sometime even later, so that helps.

2000 cals is only if you are trying to maintain your weight/increase it. If you are trying to shed your body fat you might want to consider decreasing it by 300-400 cals ( 1700 cal/day ) and doing cardio which burns off another 300 cals/day. That way you would be shedding 600 cals/day ( 9000 cals in 15 days or 2 kgs/month ).
For dinner I have heard nutrionists hinting towards a decently heavy carb meal ( whole grains/complex carbs ) and low protein as your body needs sugar/glucose to run your system while you are at rest and burnt fat at the same time ( you can burn fat only if you have sugar/glucose in your blood ).

Most of my Indian colleagues who get their lunch from home have their boxes loaded with carbs and and veggies only. I have tried to convey the message of a more balanced meal, only to fall on deaf ears. The concept of "home cooked food" seems to be more appealing to them than the concept of a balanced diet. I would never buy into this concept.