Singapore Expats

PR Chances

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
cathy135

PR Chances

Post by cathy135 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:32 pm

Hi friends,

Please share your view on my PR approval chances. I've really been waiting for too long for the result. Below is my detailed information.

Time applied: end of Nov, 2012
Degree: Bachelor from local university (in my final year at application)
Time submitted a more detailed family CV: mid March 2013

Since I got graduated in Jun and now reading a master degree, I cancelled and reapplied the student pass that the PR application was based on, but the FIN no. remains the same.
I updated ICA changes in my educational and residential details through email in early Sep, and they replied with a brief noted message. The online status is still pending, and it has almost been 10 months since the application.

So how do you judge the chance to get approval for my case? Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 1:04 pm

I don't have much hope until you finish your Masters.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 3:50 pm

The main deciding factors, ethnicity and time spent in Singapore so far, were not mentioned in your post. So nobody can give a meaningful answer!

trashmaker

Post by trashmaker » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 3:52 pm

a
Last edited by trashmaker on Tue, 29 Dec 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cathy135

Post by cathy135 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:41 pm

beppi wrote:The main deciding factors, ethnicity and time spent in Singapore so far, were not mentioned in your post. So nobody can give a meaningful answer!
Sorry forgot to mention that,
ethnicity: Chinese
time spent up till Nov 2012: 4 years

cathy135

Post by cathy135 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:48 pm

trashmaker wrote:what category did you apply under? family sponsored or economic scheme?
I don't exactly really remember what category I falled in for application, but definitely not family sponsored, nor did I possess any work pass. I just learnt from my friends that university students who have stayed for over three years are eligible to apply.

cathy135

Post by cathy135 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:49 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I don't have much hope until you finish your Masters.
Oh... then looks like it'll be pending for another one year or so...thanks anyway

trashmaker

Post by trashmaker » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 5:48 pm

a
Last edited by trashmaker on Tue, 29 Dec 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:50 pm

trashmaker wrote:I applied for PR with the invitation letter as well (as i graduated from a local uni - similar to you), but for me and some of my batch mates, we had a specific clause saying that we must find full time employment in Singapore in order to apply. Perhaps the invitation letter you received didn't have any such clause.
From OP's initial post, there is no mention of the PR invitation letter. AFAIK, they stopped giving those invitation letters to graduates ~3 years ago.
cathy135 wrote:I don't exactly really remember what category I falled in for application, but definitely not family sponsored, nor did I possess any work pass. I just learnt from my friends that university students who have stayed for over three years are eligible to apply.
In earlier years, ICA used to invite NUS/NTU students who have been in Singapore for 1-2 years to apply for PR. I used to have one of those letters with me (just threw it away recently) , and the scheme is called something like 'SPR scheme for student pass holders'. It is similar to the PTS scheme, but requires the person to enlist for NS after obtaining PR. I think this what your friends meant and also, most probably, the category for your application.

cathy135

Post by cathy135 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:20 am

trashmaker wrote:I applied for PR with the invitation letter as well (as i graduated from a local uni - similar to you), but for me and some of my batch mates, we had a specific clause saying that we must find full time employment in Singapore in order to apply. Perhaps the invitation letter you received didn't have any such clause.
Thanks for the information, unfortunately ICA stopped giving out invitation letter for these two or more batches, anyway I am actively seeking a job now, so in the case of no approval, maybe I'll work first and reapply on a work pass.

cathy135

Post by cathy135 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:29 am

Does anyone know any case approved in 2013, how long is the timeline in processing? Thanks.
Last edited by cathy135 on Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

cathy135

Post by cathy135 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 12:33 am

rdueej wrote:In earlier years, ICA used to invite NUS/NTU students who have been in Singapore for 1-2 years to apply for PR. I used to have one of those letters with me (just threw it away recently) , and the scheme is called something like 'SPR scheme for student pass holders'. It is similar to the PTS scheme, but requires the person to enlist for NS after obtaining PR. I think this what your friends meant and also, most probably, the category for your application.
Yes I think so, I guess ICA stopped giving out invitations but kept the scheme. I have quite a few friends from the same batch who applied and got approved in the first half of the year, while sad news is that my juniors from next batch claim that they approached ICA staff and were told that "Your information does not exist in the system". So seems the policy is getting more and more stringent.

Another thing to add is, I got the letter telling me to submit a more detailed family CV in early Jan (demanding to be sent back to ICA within a week), but somehow I missed the letter and sent the materials in Mid-March. Other than a longer timeline to process, will that pose a disadvantage for the chance of getting approved?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:22 pm

cathy135 wrote:Does anyone know any case approved in 2013, how long is the timeline in processing? Thanks.
I know that sounds like a sensible question, and I understand why you asked it, but the reality is that it's like asking 'how long is a piece of string?' If you search this forum you'll find examples where PR applications have been approved in a couple of months (e.g. Malaysian Chinese applicants with good collateral data), and other cases where people are still waiting after a year or more.

The short answer is that that the decision is announced when the ICA are ready to announce it. TBH, for someone who is really committed to Singapore for the long haul, waiting a few months or more shouldn't be too onerous.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:39 pm

I waited 11 years....... :cool:

Now I regret it. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

cathy135

Post by cathy135 » Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:05 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:The short answer is that that the decision is announced when the ICA are ready to announce it. TBH, for someone who is really committed to Singapore for the long haul, waiting a few months or more shouldn't be too onerous.
Thanks, you're right. I'll be in SG for many years by necessity. It's just I've been irritated by several job job offers that depends on my PR approval recently. NVM, seems I'll focus on my degree first.