Singapore Expats

What's your favorite 'watering hole' and why?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Re: What's your favorite 'watering hole' and why?

Post by Fortan » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 1:24 pm

the lynx wrote: Having these two mentioned in the same post doesn't seem right. :P
Depends on what time of the day you go there and where you sit :)

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 1:35 pm

the lynx wrote:Mine is either Holland Village's food centre, or Thirsty inside Liang Court, CQ (my latest gem - it is something like Cider Pit but cheaper and very quiet), or Muddy Murphy's next to OT (I know!).
as I said, MM is going to shut down .. grab your poison if want memories ;)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 1:37 pm

Fortan wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You actually drink that crap? I'm a Yank and I won't touch it the stuff!
Yeah :) I have tried most cheap beers available here including breda, dester, chang, singha, becks, asahi and sapporo.

I drink chang most often, if I drink at home. Get it from fairprice 6 cans for $10.50.
I love Singha... but only together with spicy Thai food. Seems to be taylor made for that. I'd go for a Tiger or Carlsberg any day....
Just like nothing beats a Bintang on a hot afternoon in Bali ;)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 2:49 pm

Fortan wrote:[quote="Wd40
I love Singha... but only together with spicy Thai food. Seems to be taylor made for that. I'd go for a Tiger or Carlsberg any day....
2 Fat Men on East Coast Road is the only place I’ve found Singha on tap here – you’ll get Thai there but their burger is one of the best around.

I’m in the Muddy’s camp too.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 3:05 pm

I remember Bintang. Years ago, when I worked in Indonesia, before they got new brewmasters, it used to be laced with formaldehyde I think. After a couple of them, you woke up feeling like you've been embalmed but looking like a zombie. Ouch. We would get sh*tfaced every two weeks in the market/parking lot in P. Bintan, enroute to and from P. Galang.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:03 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote:Mine is either Holland Village's food centre, or Thirsty inside Liang Court, CQ (my latest gem - it is something like Cider Pit but cheaper and very quiet), or Muddy Murphy's next to OT (I know!).
I thought the whole point of OT was to drink enough so you *don't* have memories after?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 4:58 pm

This would contradict with "I wasn't that drunk" component.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 5:15 pm

We like The Good Beer Company at the hawker center on Smith Street (the one right near the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple. I think it's fairly new - they serve all kinds of artisanal beers (but no Tiger). For Tiger lovers, there's a stall selling Tiger right next door.

The owner is super nice and the beer is good and (for here) reasonably priced. Good cheap hawker food, great beer, people watching in Chinatown and a fairly short stumble back home....Can't beat it!

OverEasy on MarinaBay is also a nice "go to" place. There's generally a breeze off the bay, and there's ALWAYS some good people watching! Plus they have 2 for one's after 5:30, and when the Sing stock market ends the day down, there are $1 sliders!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 5:18 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
I thought the whole point of OT was to drink enough so you *don't* have memories after?
seen some doing it .. well, not for me though :D

blue_thunder
Chatter
Chatter

Post by blue_thunder » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:38 pm

all the Murphy brothers - esp for their combo basket (yummy)
Insomnia/Le Baroque on Wednesdays ( 20$ free flow from 9-11 PM)
BQ Bar/Public House @ Boat quay.
+ some nice little hangouts in OT :)
~ I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me

yogaloungeforever
Chatter
Chatter

Post by yogaloungeforever » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:53 pm

Kyo on cecil st - free flow vodka thurs nights
Life is short hence I live it to its fullest, that is .... I eat and sleep

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 2:24 am

I used to like drinking at the Black Sheep bars. The original on Bukit Timah Rd was great, but I also like the second one at Robinson Quay too. Different vibe but both v good, and can get great Thai or Indian food there too.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 8:49 am

BoroBoy wrote:I used to like drinking at the Black Sheep bars. The original on Bukit Timah Rd was great, but I also like the second one at Robinson Quay too. Different vibe but both v good, and can get great Thai or Indian food there too.
I've seen they've also opened one on Tanjong Katong just north of Mountbatten.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:08 pm

Can anyone confirm that Muddys is still open. Have heard it is going to close sometime in Sept.

Haven't been up there for a while and don't want to make a wasted trip.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:12 pm

bgd wrote:Can anyone confirm that Muddys is still open. Have heard it is going to close sometime in Sept.

Haven't been up there for a while and don't want to make a wasted trip.
I was there two Fridays ago and yes it was still up and running. Forgot to ask them about the closing.

Well it won't be a wasted trip, you can always go to Down Under Bar or Hard Rock nearby if you find Muddy closed .