Singapore Expats

False complaint by filipino worker : URGENT HELP NEEDED

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:46 am

PNGMK wrote:We seriously discussed asking our maid to undergo a procedure for having a contraceptive inserted into her arm (implant) - the hassle of having a pregnant maid is unbelievable and we don't believe in abortion......
that .. doesn't prevent .. other stuff :)

Then again, heard of atleast one employer who was accused by his maid for suggesting the not-too-obvious- that he was promoting her to become promiscuous .. well, not all have 'open values'

x9200: :)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:03 pm

There is not a job on this earth that gives the employer the right to impose his own moral values on an employee. A woman's reproduction system is her own.

I don't impose rules on my helper in her own time. She knows the laws, it's not for me to police other people's sex lives.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:We seriously discussed asking our maid to undergo a procedure for having a contraceptive inserted into her arm (implant) - the hassle of having a pregnant maid is unbelievable and we don't believe in abortion......
that .. doesn't prevent .. other stuff :)

Then again, heard of atleast one employer who was accused by his maid for suggesting the not-too-obvious- that he was promoting her to become promiscuous .. well, not all have 'open values'

x9200: :)
Well my wife doesn't have a lot of street smarts (although a very high IQ) - I am a little concerned but I guess time will tell.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:29 pm

the lynx wrote:By the way, in case you guys has Disconnect on, OP replied using Facebook plugin so you may not be able to view it (strange this time, the reply didn't add into the message board but instead, remained in the plugin box).
Damn! This FB pluggin is very dangerous. Now all of his friends know what has happened. One of the biggest things about forums is you can discuss your problems anonymously and this easy accident can sometime get you into big trouble.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:37 pm

Repost so that you guys don't have to disable Disconnect to answer OP:
Pl let me clarify that it was solely in account if sympathy and the huge placement fee that we out up with her. Also there were several other misdeeds which we tolerated again on account if sympathy factor
PS: I happened to be accessing this from 'another hardware' so, yeah. :P

Pem

Post by Pem » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:38 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Where does he say she's with another family? I can't see that.

I think if you threaten to deport somebody for rudeness and not an actual crime, maybe not even rudeness but a cultural or language difference ( because your english does not strike me as first language) then you force their hand. I have no sympathy, you put up with allegedly poor work for a year and threatened someone's career. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Wow!! Wat a comment !! Thot the discussion was for absconding maid but u instead talk bout "language" .. If u dont hv any valuable inputs u rather not post!!!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 3:57 pm

Pem wrote:

I think if you threaten to deport somebody for rudeness and not an actual crime, maybe not even rudeness but a cultural or language difference ( because your english does not strike me as first language) then you force their hand. I have no sympathy, you put up with allegedly poor work for a year and threatened someone's career. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Wow!! Wat a comment !! Thot the discussion was for absconding maid but u instead talk bout "language" .. If u dont hv any valuable inputs u rather not post!!!!
Pem, you might want to go back and reread the thread VERY carefully. I will agree that the OP doesn't sound like English is their mother tongue, and we know that the maids don't have English as mother tongues. I read the problem as one where, based on the language being used by the OP, as someone who can easily be misunderstood. Especially if the OP actually really did threaten the maid with deportation because of a misunderstanding of what may well have been said. All of us here seemed to misunderstood the OP as well, as the English is rather disjointed. Furthermore, if there were issues with the work, why wait a year before reproaching the maid? One would have to wonder why the sudden change of events.

Often things here are not what meets the eye, as we normally only have one viewpoint to go by and too many people post their queries trying to get confirmation from others for what they may have done in haste that might come back to bite 'em in the butt.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

EricM

Post by EricM » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 4:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Pem wrote:

Pem, you might want to go back and reread the thread VERY carefully. I will agree that the OP doesn't sound like English is their mother tongue, and we know that the maids don't have English as mother tongues. I read the problem as one where, based on the language being used by the OP, as someone who can easily be misunderstood. Especially if the OP actually really did threaten the maid with deportation because of a misunderstanding of what may well have been said. All of us here seemed to misunderstood the OP as well, as the English is rather disjointed. Furthermore, if there were issues with the work, why wait a year before reproaching the maid? One would have to wonder why the sudden change of events.

Often things here are not what meets the eye, as we normally only have one viewpoint to go by and too many people post their queries trying to get confirmation from others for what they may have done in haste that might come back to bite 'em in the butt.
Sundaymorningstaple,,,Thanks ...i now read it carefully but I cant c anywhere dat d op has said dat the maid has been with him/ her for d last one yr..all it says is dat the op has been here for the last 1 year...!!!!
Regards,
Eric

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 4:40 pm

EricM wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Pem wrote: Wow!! Wat a comment !! Thot the discussion was for absconding maid but u instead talk bout "language" .. If u dont hv any valuable inputs u rather not post!!!!

Sundaymorningstaple,,,Thanks ...i now read it carefully but I cant c anywhere dat d op has said dat the maid has been with him/ her for d last one yr..all it says is dat the op has been here for the last 1 year...!!!!
Gotcha! OP and Pem are the same person! Seriously Associate Director at PwC? :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 4:54 pm

Normally, I'd say that is a possibility, but with expats, getting a maid is usually pretty quick on the want list when they come to Singapore. I might be wrong, but it still seems like the maid was with them for some time, but as I said, their English/typing leaves a whole lot to be desired, sadly, much like your own typing. Phrases such as "Till one day", "Then one fine sunday night" leads me to think she's been there for a while. Again, without knowing the whole story, there must have been something we aren't being told if the maid ran away to HOME. She feared something, that's for sure.

Wd40, good one. I can confirm as well. One of your countrymen judging from their email accounts. I have also gone back and quoted the OP's first post as well...... Of course, you know how that goes, right? :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:08 pm

Pem wrote:

Wow!! What a comment !! Thought the discussion was about an absconding maid but you talk about "language" instead..If you don't have any valuable input you should not post!!!!
Flattered you signed up just for that. I am embarrassed to have thought you unreasonable and perhaps hotheaded. But in a gesture of goodwill I have edited your above post.

And signing back on with your original name is beautiful! Cheers, Eric! You've brightened my day.
Last edited by Hannieroo on Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:12 pm

:cool:

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:26 pm

The more Eric posts the more I understand why the girl absconded.

I give her points for restraint - I'd have sprinkled ex-lax all over his morning cereal before I went.

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:33 pm

Seriously, for a high flying expat to make so many goof ups in one thread; first poor English, then posting using FB and finally forgot that he was supposed to login using Pem instead of EricM. You can see why locals think FTs dont deserve their jobs.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 Sep 2013 5:36 pm

As I'm using disconnect, I didn't even see the FB post. (I just used the back end to check the email accounts to link the two).