Singapore Expats

False complaint by filipino worker : URGENT HELP NEEDED

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
EricM

False complaint by filipino worker : URGENT HELP NEEDED

Post by EricM » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 8:15 pm

We have been year fir just over a year and have encountered something i never thought i would. My maid was totally useless and would not do her job well at all. When reminded by my wife, she was very rude to her. Till one day i told her that if she is rude and doesn't work well, i will deport her to Philippines instead of sending her to agency. Then one fine sunday night she disappeared from my house. She went to HOME who helped her file a false complaint (guess unknown to HOME) that we told her to clean the exterior of our windows. This is so wrong. I wanna know if anyone knows about this and can advise how we could deal with such false accusations as penal consequences of such matters r v significant!

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Stevie_W » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 8:21 pm

EricM wrote:We have been year fir just over a year and have encountered something i never thought i would. My maid was totally useless and would not do her job well at all. When reminded by my wife, she was very rude to her. Till one day i told her that if she is rude and doesn't work well, i will deport her to Philippines instead of sending her to agency. Then one fine sunday night she disappeared from my house. She went to HOME who helped her file a false complaint (guess unknown to HOME) that we told her to clean the exterior of our windows. This is so wrong. I wanna know if anyone knows about this and can advise how we could deal with such false accusations as penal consequences of such matters r v significant!
I don't know anything about Maids. But if I were you I'd make a complaint to her agency. From what I've read she is contacted to you and she had no right to go to another family.
But of course do wait and see what other people day about this first.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 9:28 pm

Where does he say she's with another family? I can't see that.

I think if you threaten to deport somebody for rudeness and not an actual crime, maybe not even rudeness but a cultural or language difference ( because your english does not strike me as first language) then you force their hand. I have no sympathy, you put up with allegedly poor work for a year and threatened someone's career. Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Stevie_W » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 9:35 pm

My bad.
I read HOME and assumed it was a family.
Had to re-read that again.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:48 pm

Sounds like you are not free of fault yourself. I somehow doubt the maid would go to HOME to file a complaint if the situation was not serious for her.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 2:01 am

Firstly calm down - no one is going to throw you in jail for exterior window cleaning by your maid without more than her word on it (i.e. witnesses).

Secondly negotiate to with HOME to release your maid and allow her to return home with her salary and airfare and find another.

Having a FDW is hard work both ways. Next time keep your powder dry.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 7:51 am

OP, don't worry. She will need a proof and false accusation is also an offense. Likely, what she did just bough her a one way ticket home. Unfortunately at your expense but this is how it works here.
What you should probably do is to follow the procedures for the cases like this (when the maid escapes), inform MOM etc.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:06 am

PNGMK wrote:Firstly calm down - no one is going to throw you in jail for exterior window cleaning by your maid without more than her word on it (i.e. witnesses).

Secondly negotiate to with HOME to release your maid and allow her to return home with her salary and airfare and find another.

Having a FDW is hard work both ways. Next time keep your powder dry.
my 2 cents, and if you are a 'good' boss, is to ensure she leaves.

From my friends in agencies, 9 out of 10 maids who complain on their boss are those who found a better boss or have been told by their friends that they can find a better boss .. looking for transfer ..

BTW, if you don't clear up the issue, you WILL have getting permit for your next maid.

Stevie_W
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Stevie_W » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:28 am

x9200 wrote:(when the maid escapes)
Wow, you make them sound like prisoners

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:30 am

By the way, in case you guys have Disconnect on, OP replied using Facebook plugin so you may not be able to view it (strange this time, the reply didn't add into the message board but instead, remained in the plugin box).
Last edited by the lynx on Wed, 18 Sep 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:36 am

Stevie_W wrote:
They sort of are. It's a form of de facto custody with the legal implications for both parties.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:42 am

x9200 wrote:
Stevie_W wrote:
They sort of are. It's a form of de facto custody with the legal implications for both parties.
and escape doesn't always have to be due to undue stress/or held against own will-kind of scenario ..

If anybody bothers to find out, a fair number of escapees 'escaped', due to 'love interests' .. which again, comes down on the head of the employer ...

And a lot of bosses hold the passport simply because one too many maid has run off to Malaysia or back home, with their new found love ..

And one case I was familair with, the girl ran away with a Malaysian lover, and the girl's husband and the rest of the family, supported by a foreign NGO, demanded answer from the boss, and insisted the boss pay compensation etc, for the kids studies etc, .. and the same Foreign NGO conveniently forgot their constant cries about Singapore's draconian Maid laws which make maids virtually slaves, effectively :)

Welcome to Reality ..

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:49 am

AngMoG wrote:Sounds like you are not free of fault yourself. I somehow doubt the maid would go to HOME to file a complaint if the situation was not serious for her.
I stand corrected. Apparently, enough maids complain without actual cause... Not an excuse for anyone to treat theirs badly, of course ;)

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 9:51 am

ecureilx wrote: and escape doesn't always have to be due to undue stress/or held against own will-kind of scenario ..
Of course not. Thank you for your isolated voice in discussions like these trying to explain the obvious: the FDW are only humans. No, I am not sarcastic.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 18 Sep 2013 11:26 am

x9200 wrote:
Stevie_W wrote:
+1.... we are her jailers and she is our prisoner... gilded cage sort of things.... she puts up with it for wages and a set release date and we man the prison gates to avoid being fined.

To give you an idea of how warped it makes the wardens;

We seriously discussed asking our maid to undergo a procedure for having a contraceptive inserted into her arm (implant) - the hassle of having a pregnant maid is unbelievable and we don't believe in abortion......