Singapore Expats

Moving to Singapore, boyfriend has EP, I don't...help!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PetitPlatypus

Moving to Singapore, boyfriend has EP, I don't...help!

Post by PetitPlatypus » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 3:40 pm

Hi everyone, my boyfriend (French) has recently received his EP and I am planning to move to Singapore in January next year, (I'm Australian)

I am currently looking for a job (I'm a teacher) but am wondering what to do if I don't find one before I move.

My boyfriend says I could get a DP but I was under the impression that you had to be married to be eligible. We haven't lived together before (I've been based in Paris this year) and I read something about having to prove de facto status for me to get a Long Term Visitor Pass... is that correct?

My boyfriend also thinks that in the case where I don't find a job which leads to an EP I could set up my own business. Is that a possibility?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 4:22 pm

Your only option is to get a job or apply for a LTVP based on common law couple-ness, this will not give you rights to do much else than sit on your backside looking for work whilst your boyfriend works, this is not guaranteed, you need to show skills to be able to get work in Singapore, if you cannot show yourself as better than locals, then, you may not get work.

You can start a company, but, you need to get an entrepass, unless you have a DP (which you can't get unless you are married) or PR, then you can start a business.

You will get a STVP when you get here assuming you are also French national, that will be 90 days to sort out your LTVP, it's not guaranteed though.

Good Luck!
nutnut

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 4:42 pm

STVP is 90 days for Australian's too :wink: