Singapore Expats

Electricity bill expectations

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Fortan
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Fortan » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 11:31 am

Wd40 wrote:
Fortan wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Do you know what the billing cycle is?

I get a bill every month and according to the bill, the meter is read every two month. I have tried emailing them the details and asked them to look into it. All our appliances are brand new and top end electricity savers, so quite simply don't understand it. There must be a reason why we are twice the national average as I can't explain it.
By billing cycle I mean, the start and end dates for each bill. You have already recieved the Sep bill, according to your post and we are in the middle of september. So I am suspecting your Jul bill must be for the partial Jun month which is why it is so less.
I made a note of that in one of my posts. Apparently they estimate my usage based on last month.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 4:46 pm

Fortan wrote: That is quite interesting. What I know is that the building I live in was finished in mid 2011 so it is brand new. It has been empty for some months up until we took over in mid June. Our first bill for electricity was the one in July. Compare August to the July bill, we are supposed to have spent FOUR times the electricity in Aug and Sept. compared to July. So either the guy read it wrong or the July bill was way too low and that is what the are compensating for now. Either way, I don't really think it is good enough.
This can be very easily explained and the key is in bold above. Because the appartment had been empty for some months prior to you moving in the SPC would have been very low. Your first July bill was an estimated reading based prior billings while place was empty. Your August is an actual reading which includes the shortfall in June/July. The September is an estimated reading based on the August actual.

I'm quite sure your next SPC bill, which will be based on an actual reading will be very low!

harrypatel

Post by harrypatel » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 7:15 pm

Fortan I understand you live at Reflections..apologies for contacting you on a non related topic but as a new user i cannot send you a pm.

We are thinking of renting a villa unit at reflections and just wanted some advice..you can see my posts below

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/viewto ... 373#665373

I was told you prob the best person for advice.

Any advice greatly appreciated

akeelm

really high electricity readings!

Post by akeelm » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:45 am

Just moved into our condo and been received my first SP services bill. Was shocked by the amount being charged.
The first reading was apparently done on 04-1-2013 :32222
Next reading taken on 1-11-2013 :34610
Usage : 2388 kWh
Bill amount : $622.79

Have the bedroom condo 1700sq ft. Normally run unto 2 air-conds throughout the night and generally switch off during the day. Do have TV, fridge, freezer and other small appliances like any other household i suppose.

Is this sort of usage normal? I suspect the first reading was incorrect but can't verify this.
What can i do to verify except for wait for the next month's bill.

x9200

Re: really high electricity readings!

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:53 am

akeelm wrote:Just moved into our condo and been received my first SP services bill. Was shocked by the amount being charged.
The first reading was apparently done on 04-1-2013 :32222
Next reading taken on 1-11-2013 :34610
Usage : 2388 kWh
Bill amount : $622.79

Have the bedroom condo 1700sq ft. Normally run unto 2 air-conds throughout the night and generally switch off during the day. Do have TV, fridge, freezer and other small appliances like any other household i suppose.

Is this sort of usage normal? I suspect the first reading was incorrect but can't verify this.
What can i do to verify except for wait for the next month's bill.
Normally the 1st bill contains a deposit ($250?) so $622 does not look impossible but if the power consumption is counted from January then something is clearly wrong, or have you eaten one "0" in the first date?

akeelm

Post by akeelm » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:01 am

Thanks for the response. There is an additional amount of $500 for a deposit. That amount i showed was purely for electricity only.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:16 am

akeelm wrote:Thanks for the response. There is an additional amount of $500 for a deposit. That amount i showed was purely for electricity only.
When you moved in, did you get initial meter readings from the agent or landlord? If so, you should be able to verify whether the consumption being billed for is correct.
Be careful what you wish for

akeelm

Post by akeelm » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:22 am

No unfortunately i did not get any readings from the landlord or my agent. So i guess i am stuck with that?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:50 am

Assuming the flat was not empty with the services cut off there should be at least one reading done within 2 months prior to you moving in. If you have no contact with the previous tenant you can try to get this data from SP (not sure if they give it to you though).
Secondly, take the reading now. If there is a mistake, it is in either initial or last reported reading. If you are lucky and it is within the last one, you may get it solved this way (say current reading will be less than 34610).

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 11:56 am

Is the SP Services connection not in your name?

Whenever I have shifted houses and apply for SP services connection, they take the reading on the "services turn on date" and not some reading that was taken months ago.

akeelm

Post by akeelm » Sun, 24 Nov 2013 10:34 pm

Thanks for the responses all, need to wait until tomorrow morning so that security can open the meter box. A meter reading was taken before I moved in but I cannot verify it was correct as I trusted their reading. And yes sp services is in my name. Will surely be onto SP Services customer services tomorrow morning! Will post an update as soon as I have a solution .