Singapore Expats

FT eating on the bus.....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 8:54 am

:D
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 9:12 am

katbh wrote:My 14 year old daughter was fined for being on the platform with a drink with a straw in it. She was not drinking it, it was soybean and came with the straw in it. And it was a hefty fine for a 14 year old!
Was it the full S$500?

I still think the S$5000 "No skateboarding in the car park" fines are the best. I mean, you might fall down and damage someone's car! As opposed to the piddly by comparison S$1000 no biking in the pedestrian underpass, where you might *only* seriously injure a pedestrian.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 9:20 am

zzm9980 wrote:
katbh wrote:My 14 year old daughter was fined for being on the platform with a drink with a straw in it. She was not drinking it, it was soybean and came with the straw in it. And it was a hefty fine for a 14 year old!
Was it the full S$500?

I still think the S$5000 "No skateboarding in the car park" fines are the best. I mean, you might fall down and damage someone's car! As opposed to the piddly by comparison S$1000 no biking in the pedestrian underpass, where you might *only* seriously injure a pedestrian.
Says a lot about the country's priorities.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 9:24 am

NO, it was not that much....luckily or she would not have had pocket money for a year! Think it was around $50. But pretty stiff considering she was not even drinking or eating.... and she was not. Apparently you are not allowed to have anything 'open' on the MRT and a straw is considered 'open'. Hmmmmm

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 9:44 am

nakatago wrote: Says a lot about the country's priorities.
BAM.

I've eaten candies, drank lots of times in the MRT. Bottled water though, so I guess that doesn't count, as I can easily close it back...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:00 am

katbh wrote:NO, it was not that much....luckily or she would not have had pocket money for a year! Think it was around $50. But pretty stiff considering she was not even drinking or eating.... and she was not. Apparently you are not allowed to have anything 'open' on the MRT and a straw is considered 'open'. Hmmmmm
I think some SMRT officials say so that the smell doesn't become a nuisance to other passengers.

I say some passengers need to learn to take a shower and use deodorant...

...but noOooo; that would be racial discrimination.*

hygiene >>> societal habits

* before someone with a persecution complex cries out, it's not just one race.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:05 am

^^ This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 17 Sep 2013 10:13 am

katbh wrote:NO, it was not that much....luckily or she would not have had pocket money for a year! Think it was around $50. But pretty stiff considering she was not even drinking or eating.... and she was not. Apparently you are not allowed to have anything 'open' on the MRT and a straw is considered 'open'. Hmmmmm
May be the MRT official was having a bad day. I have seen an MRT official once go to a person who was drinking coke, and tell him not to drink or he will be fined and thats it.

I have also seen another case where an FT old lady once crossed the yellow line, curiously looking at how the tracks are.(this was before the barriers came on) An MRT official came and scolded her properly, but didnt fine her.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 8:58 am

The FT breakfast of choice on the bus today..... I can only guess but I am guessing at garlic sausage, extra garlic spread all on garlic bread......
Jesus wept.... it made your eyes water .... annoyingly his last morsel went in as I was heading to the back of the bus. Copious belching adding to the effect...

Other than it not being allowed to eat on the bus.... what would possess someone to eat such a thing for breakfast?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 9:08 am

Barnsley wrote:The FT breakfast of choice on the bus today..... I can only guess but I am guessing at garlic sausage, extra garlic spread all on garlic bread......
Jesus wept.... it made your eyes water .... annoyingly his last morsel went in as I was heading to the back of the bus. Copious belching adding to the effect...

Other than it not being allowed to eat on the bus.... what would possess someone to eat such a thing for breakfast?
Maybe so much in MRT but .. what annoys me more, re: eating in busess is, .. as I seen in bus 67, a few non-locals eating, and then frantically trying to find some place to stuff the plastic bag / wrappers for the meal, before they get out .. or leave it carefully under the seat ..

Last week, it was a bit hilarious, as a lady was holding a bus ticket, and when she was reaching the destination, decided to leave litter in the bus, (as most do .. ) and was frantically trying to find a place to lodge the bus ticket before going out .. .. I wonder how difficult it is to drop into the litter box at the door vs lodging it in the gap of the seat etc ??
Last edited by ecureilx on Mon, 30 Sep 2013 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 9:30 am

It could be for supper, you never know.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 10:40 am

nakatago wrote:I think some SMRT officials say so that the smell doesn't become a nuisance to other passengers.
Once, I smelt durian inside 334 bus. A test for non-durian eaters :lol:
"Budget Expat"

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:41 am

ecureilx wrote:
Barnsley wrote:The FT breakfast of choice on the bus today..... I can only guess but I am guessing at garlic sausage, extra garlic spread all on garlic bread......

Maybe so much in MRT but .. what annoys me more, re: eating in busess is, .. as I seen in bus 67, a few non-locals eating, and then frantically trying to find some place to stuff the plastic bag / wrappers for the meal, before they get out .. or leave it carefully under the seat ..

Last week, it was a bit hilarious, as a lady was holding a bus ticket, and when she was reaching the destination, decided to leave litter in the bus, (as most do .. ) and was frantically trying to find a place to lodge the bus ticket before going out .. .. I wonder how difficult it is to drop into the litter box at the door vs lodging it in the gap of the seat etc ??

She must be the one that stuffs her used tissues in taxi door handles all over Singapore, giving you a handful of her nasal contents after getting on the cab when you grab that handle to shut the door.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 12:19 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
nakatago wrote:I think some SMRT officials say so that the smell doesn't become a nuisance to other passengers.
That happens on most buses. I haven't seen the signs recently forbidding the carrying of during on board. I guess most haven't paid attention to it anyway. I get it quite often on a whole slew of buses that ply Yio Chu Kang Road.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 30 Sep 2013 1:05 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
That happens on most buses. I haven't seen the signs recently forbidding the carrying of during on board. I guess most haven't paid attention to it anyway. I get it quite often on a whole slew of buses that ply Yio Chu Kang Road.
Sometimes, I see some buses with the non-durian signs (either 98, 187, 157, or 334), although SBS has put the tips [not to bring items on board the buses that may offend others] in their own website :lol:
"Budget Expat"