Singapore Expats Forum

iPhone 5C ........

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:46 pm

I think people who buy Iphone are the ones who are most likely buy it on a contract. People who buy phones without contract are more likely to buy a Samsung Galaxy S4

This thing about cellular contracts is it kind of closes the price gap between the Iphone and Galaxy, because the initial upfront deposit difference is very small and then the monthly payments is the same.

In countries where cellular contracts are not popular Samsung is a clear winner.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Pal » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:56 pm

Watch this iPhone 5S/5C video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sIWez9HAbA

"Now everyone can afford an iPhone, even the peasants" ...

Hilarious :lol:
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:22 pm

PNGMK wrote:iPhone5c (fully paid - no contract) from Apple Store is SGD $898. I think they missed the mark on pricing. That's a lot of money!


S$848 for the 5c, and S$998 for the 5s. Interestingly, that is a S$50 increase on the the 5s over the old 5. Historically the top end phone (just whatever was newest at the time) started at S$948 for the 16GB model.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:25 pm

Wd40 wrote:I think people who buy Iphone are the ones who are most likely buy it on a contract. People who buy phones without contract are more likely to buy a Samsung Galaxy S4

This thing about cellular contracts is it kind of closes the price gap between the Iphone and Galaxy, because the initial upfront deposit difference is very small and then the monthly payments is the same.

In countries where cellular contracts are not popular Samsung is a clear winner.


I'm not sure how you're coming to this conclusion. The Galaxy S4's retail price from Samsung is S$998. S$50 more than the iPhone5, and the same as Iphone 5S. Do you have stats from somewhere to back this assertion up, or are you just going by the observation that the S4 usually sells below the retail price in mobile shops while the iPhone doesn't? That would imply actually that there is better demand for the iPhone.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:31 pm

x9200 wrote:(nb. WD40's link showed Samsung to be the winner)


I was going by Anandtech's benchmarks, which many sites generally rely upon as their source and known to be fairly well tested:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6914/sams ... 4-review/2

I was partially wrong. Iphone 5 beats S4 in battery life for data usage, both Wifi and Browsing. (8.2 hour iPhone vs 5.7 S4 while using 3G/LTE data). iPhone does lose in talk time and when acting as a mobile hotspot though. The culprit is the display, and for talking and hotspot S4 turns off the display.

For me and I imagine most people though, you're spending much more time using your phone for everything else other than talking.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:31 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I think people who buy Iphone are the ones who are most likely buy it on a contract. People who buy phones without contract are more likely to buy a Samsung Galaxy S4

This thing about cellular contracts is it kind of closes the price gap between the Iphone and Galaxy, because the initial upfront deposit difference is very small and then the monthly payments is the same.

In countries where cellular contracts are not popular Samsung is a clear winner.


I'm not sure how you're coming to this conclusion. The Galaxy S4's retail price from Samsung is S$998. S$50 more than the iPhone5, and the same as Iphone 5S. Do you have stats from somewhere to back this assertion up, or are you just going by the observation that the S4 usually sells below the retail price in mobile shops while the iPhone doesn't? That would imply actually that there is better demand for the iPhone.


Its $774
http://www.mobilesquare.com.sg/products ... 475&cid=17

The fact that it retails cheaper at shops doesnt mean there is less demand. It just means they do a whole lot of volumes at lower margins whereas Apple wants to be seen as a premium player and wants to stick to that tag regardless of whether they lose market share or their products offer the value for the money.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:33 pm

Pal wrote:Watch this iPhone 5S/5C video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sIWez9HAbA

"Now everyone can afford an iPhone, even the peasants" ...

Hilarious :lol:


I like the cable joke at the end. :D

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:35 pm

Wd40 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I think people who buy Iphone are the ones who are most likely buy it on a contract. People who buy phones without contract are more likely to buy a Samsung Galaxy S4

This thing about cellular contracts is it kind of closes the price gap between the Iphone and Galaxy, because the initial upfront deposit difference is very small and then the monthly payments is the same.

In countries where cellular contracts are not popular Samsung is a clear winner.


I'm not sure how you're coming to this conclusion. The Galaxy S4's retail price from Samsung is S$998. S$50 more than the iPhone5, and the same as Iphone 5S. Do you have stats from somewhere to back this assertion up, or are you just going by the observation that the S4 usually sells below the retail price in mobile shops while the iPhone doesn't? That would imply actually that there is better demand for the iPhone.


Its $774
http://www.mobilesquare.com.sg/products ... 475&cid=17

The fact that it retails cheaper at shops doesnt mean there is less demand. It just means they do a whole lot of volumes at lower margins whereas Apple wants to be seen as a premium player and wants to stick to that tag regardless of whether they lose market share or their products offer the value for the money.


No, the suggested retail price does not change. Dealers can sell it for whatever they want:

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/product- ... %2BalaTest

S$998. And I don't buy the argument about Samsung trying to gain market share by selling at a lower margin. That's what all of their cheapo (Galaxy Mega, etc) phones are for.

Besides, you still haven't said why that means more people buy them off contract than iPhones.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:45 pm

Yeah, since retailers can set the price to whatever they want, people know that they can get the best bargain/bang for their buck when they buy a Galaxy S4.

Apple on the other hand has a fixed price and there is no bargain to be had.

When you buy a phone on contract again there is no bargain when you buy Galaxy S4, you are paying the equivalent of its "full price"

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 2:49 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yeah, since retailers can set the price to whatever they want, people know that they can get the best bargain/bang for their buck when they buy a Galaxy S4.

Apple on the other hand has a fixed price and there is no bargain to be had.

When you buy a phone on contract again there is no bargain when you buy Galaxy S4, you are paying the equivalent of its "full price"
.

Ok, so you're assuming though bargain hunters would choose the S4 over an iPhone 5whatever because of the better deal. So let's assume they have no preference in features or OS in order to choose the best value. Why are they going with Samsung S4? Why not a cheaper phone that truly is a 'bargain'?

After another 15 days in India, and 99% of every phone seen there a Samsung, I have a theory as to why you think this. But I'd rather hear it from you. :)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3911
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:01 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Yeah, since retailers can set the price to whatever they want, people know that they can get the best bargain/bang for their buck when they buy a Galaxy S4.

Apple on the other hand has a fixed price and there is no bargain to be had.

When you buy a phone on contract again there is no bargain when you buy Galaxy S4, you are paying the equivalent of its "full price"
.

Ok, so you're assuming though bargain hunters would choose the S4 over an iPhone 5whatever because of the better deal. So let's assume they have no preference in features or OS in order to choose the best value. Why are they going with Samsung S4? Why not a cheaper phone that truly is a 'bargain'?

After another 15 days in India, and 99% of every phone seen there a Samsung, I have a theory as to why you think this. But I'd rather hear it from you. :)


Because they are status conscious as well. :) Also many people like to be different and be seen as making the smarter choice. So they think buying a higher spec phone with a bigger screen from a rival brand at a lower price makes them standout.

The most wierd thing that I find about these phone wars is that there is not so much choice for the customer to who wants to stand out of the crowd and show the world that he has arrived. I mean the janitor in our office also uses an Iphone, maybe 3gs but an Iphone none the less.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 15 Sep 2013 3:21 pm

Wd40 wrote:The most wierd thing that I find about these phone wars is that there is not so much choice for the customer to who wants to stand out of the crowd and show the world that he has arrived. I mean the janitor in our office also uses an Iphone, maybe 3gs but an Iphone none the less.


Want to stand out and be status conscious? That's what Vertu is for :p
For me personally, I could really give a sh-t what the phone actually looks like. I can about the easy of use and feel of the hardware, and the software on it. I'm a rather avid mobile photographer too, so camera is important. Otherwise, it's all the software. I own phones on both platforms, and have had tablets on both, but still find the iOS ecosystem more compelling. I'll give Android props for being more flexible to users's demands, but the experience just feels nicer on iOS. Even Google's own apps, with the exception of Now, are nicer on iOS.

I'll still buy a 5s primarily for the upgraded camera and then the fingerprint reader. With how often I unlock my phone (sometimes while driving, yea yea i know), it's pretty nice.

Plus, with the high iPhone prices you point out, I can recoup a large part of the cost by selling my old phone.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests