Singapore Expats

Dumping Chrome and Back to Firefox

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 4:16 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:oh well.
Chrome will only let you block an entire host for javascript, but some extension somewhere should allow you to selectivly blacklist js URLs. Just block this:
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/com/js/j ... all.min.js
ad(cough)block(cough)

I did it on my work computer.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 4:47 pm

Even if you block that js, the profile images will still appear right? Although they will not move.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

rdueej
Regular
Regular

Post by rdueej » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 6:54 pm

Pal wrote:Even if you block that js, the profile images will still appear right? Although they will not move.
Adblock can learn and block entire elements on a site.

You can set Adblock to block out an entire CSS class. For example all elements which are inside a particular <DIV> tag.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 7:46 pm

Interesting.
Singapore Expats

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 9:31 pm

Pal wrote:Is there a lot of flash on this site? From Google Ads?
Pal, I am sure that it took a lot of coding to get the side panels set up... and you should try out this website on an iPad under Safari and/or Chrome...

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Pal » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:09 pm

Will do it.
Singapore Expats

Strong Eagle

Re: Dumping Chrome and Back to Firefox

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 Sep 2013 12:07 am

nakatago wrote:I haven't encountered Chrome crashing due to Flash in Linux, Windows or Android. My sister uses it on Mac and she would've asked me if it crashes on her.

Although, the flash ads on this website make Chrome on my android tablet crawl.
I can only say... AMAZING... my Flash crashes an average of 3 or 4 times a day, at least. Yes, I've disabled the external version and used the Chrome version. Yes, I've disabled the Chrome version and used the external version (even worse).

It feels good to solve a problem by changing vendors... like AT&T... kept blaming my poor DSL broadband on my equipment... even though nothing had changed in over a year... I went to Comcast... no more problems, with same old equipment... called up AT&T... asked to speak to a tech... told him I had solved my DSL issues... with baited breath he wanted to know... I SWITCHED TO COMCAST, I said... oh, how sweet.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 13 Sep 2013 8:10 am

Pal wrote:The dating carousel is using javascript so unless you disable java and image, you will see it.
Our current advertisers aren't using flash.
I can do it at the proxy server but at this moment I am too lazy and not that annoyed

Fortunately the advertisers are pretty static and not bothering too much.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 13 Sep 2013 8:16 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
nakatago wrote:I haven't encountered Chrome crashing due to Flash in Linux, Windows or Android. My sister uses it on Mac and she would've asked me if it crashes on her.

I can only say... AMAZING... my Flash crashes an average of 3 or 4 times a day, at least. Yes, I've disabled the external version and used the Chrome version. Yes, I've disabled the Chrome version and used the external version (even worse).

It feels good to solve a problem by changing vendors... like AT&T... kept blaming my poor DSL broadband on my equipment... even though nothing had changed in over a year... I went to Comcast... no more problems, with same old equipment... called up AT&T... asked to speak to a tech... told him I had solved my DSL issues... with baited breath he wanted to know... I SWITCHED TO COMCAST, I said... oh, how sweet.
I'm confused now. So, what's your current sitch with Flash now?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 13 Sep 2013 10:42 am

nakatago wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

I'm confused now. So, what's your current sitch with Flash now?
Well... I solved my Chrome/Flash problems by switching to FF... have not had a single issue since making the switch.

FWIW, googling... excuse me... duckduckgo'ing for the google/flash problem returns 1000's of hits... mostly with the same "solution".

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 13 Sep 2013 3:38 pm

I don't install Flash due to security concerns. Most people vastly underestimate how insecure Flash is and how much exposure you open yourself up to by using it.

I only use Flash via Chrome, and it is disabled by default. It requires a 'click to play' anytime I want to use it.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 16 Sep 2013 11:11 am

I just dumped Chrome this morning. Some sort of adware got in (via Flash maybe) and I can't get rid of it so I'm back on FF -and I love it.