Singapore Expats

Work exemption pass - back date? HELP!

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Sputnik76

Work exemption pass - back date? HELP!

Post by Sputnik76 » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 3:49 pm

I'd like to ask for some advice here.

Someone I know (not me I assure you - I am on a proper visa) has been coming into the country for a month or so at a time every 3 or 4 weeks to work over here in Singapore. Over the course of the year they have probably racked up about 100 days in the country.

It turns out that they were supposed to register for a 'work pass exemption' for which they qualify under the rules. However they haven't been doing this and we've just realised this. MOM website says this is 'an offence'.

Some questions:

1/ Should they fill one in now and back date it to the beginning of their current trip?

2/ If they do this then are questions likely to be asked regarding previous trips?

3/ For subsequent trips after this are they likely to stop someone at the airport and put them in jail? Or just send them home? What is the worst outcome and most likely outcome?

It's proving difficult to work out what is best for this person to do and I can't advise them. We can't contact MOM directly for obvious reasons. We want to do the right thing but don't know how to correct the mistake.

Any advice would be useful.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 10 Sep 2013 4:44 pm

Work Pass Exempt Activities - Before Notification

Foreigners can perform certain activities in Singapore for short durations without a work pass. They can perform these activities for the duration of their short term visit passes subject to a maximum of 60 days. Beyond that, they will need to obtain a Work Pass. The waiver of Work Pass requirements does not exempt foreigners from having to comply with other specific legal requirements in Singapore.

Carrying out Work Pass Exempt Activities without notifying MOM is an offence under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act.
The 60 days is not consecutive days but total days in the year. Any longer and they need proper working permits.

The damage has already been done. The exemption, even if back dated is well over the limitation even if MOM had been notified on time. Therefore I'd say be prepared for some rocky roads as so far they have been working illegally without any proper work permit. I'd say prepare for possibly some rough times.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers