Singapore Expats

tired of 9-5 office job. any other job recommendation?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
racmin

tired of 9-5 office job. any other job recommendation?

Post by racmin » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 9:33 am

Staying in the office for 7 hours is definitely boring. But because I need a job first to save money for courses, which other job can I consider? I only have a office skills cert for now. I prefer a weekdays job where I can keep running outside rather than staying in the room doing paper works -_-

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 9:55 am

Have you tried sales? If you do it right, it's outside much of the day, and not exactly 9 to 6.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:11 am

Find out what your passion is and then find a related job. Also there are other dimensions to take into account, like your risk taking ability, the potential to earn money etc.

Office job is for those people who are not extremely extrovert, more analytical, like to think think think either in concious mind on the work they are doing or in subconcious mind about something totally unrelated.

People who are restless and street smart, office job isnt for them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 09 Sep 2013 11:02 am

I got tired of my 9-5'er back in '77 so I quit and did what I did as a hobby for the preceding 10 years. I went diving. Commercially. For 20 years. Took me all over the world. Including Singapore. Been here ever since. Not diving commercially anymore due to age. Took my retirement in the best years of my life and got paid for it. Never went to work. Always went diving! Psychological. :cool:

I'm guessing most IT geeks are probably of a similar nature.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

donderrickng

Re: tired of 9-5 office job. any other job recommendation?

Post by donderrickng » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 3:48 pm

Totally understand how it feels man. I emphathise with you. Perhaps instead of an office job, you could try doing sales for various companies, where you don't have to be desk bound. Or if you're sick of being an employee, try self employment. Lots of people out there have done it. So I guess it works.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 17 Jun 2015 10:57 pm

donderrickng wrote: Or if you're sick of being an employee, try self employment. Lots of people out there have done it. So I guess it works.
Consider it, but not until you're sure you have a 1000% proven strategy before leaping away from the security-blanket of an employer.
With self-employment every imaginable buck stops with you. Just you. It takes a bit of adjusting to.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

menudown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by menudown » Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:57 am

Sales or Account servicing jobs if u want to meet people and not wanting to stuck behind a desk
since you are only working to save money for your course, why not look for those temp jobs which require you to be outdoors

Vinceunstoppable

Post by Vinceunstoppable » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 6:31 pm

Yes Is Really Tiring Working . Everywhere in singapore every person need to work . No matter bad or good / relax or not relax / indoor or outdoor ! Work is a musts ! unless you are born to be a Multi Millionaires Child !
For What I'm Doing Is Yess Work !
But What Work Do You Want To Do !
A Job That You Like ! No Matter Long Or Short Working Hours ! Because You Like The Jobs Of Course Because Of The INCOME !!!
So Choose Job Wisely And Make Sure You Are Interested In ! If Not No Matter Which Line You Are In Makes No Different !
Advise Work Happy And Make Yourself Value

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 9:14 pm

A lot of people like their job and it has lousy income. Money isn't everything, except in people like JR8's case. I'm happier since I went bankrupt in 1973 than I ever was prior to that point.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 12:01 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A lot of people like their job and it has lousy income. Money isn't everything, except in people like JR8's case. I'm happier since I went bankrupt in 1973 than I ever was prior to that point.
For the avoidance of doubt :wink: :lol:
If you think about my job, and that I'm self-employed, my 'success' is measured each day in purely financial terms*. That was almost the same as when I was employed as a career banker, every second was about who had made or lost what, and every metric of career 'success' derived from that. I can understand that if you haven't worked in that culture that it is going to seem a little odd - being unembarrassed about discussing money. It is decidedly not about showing off, for me it's just normal chit-chat, and it's easy to forget that to some people it perhaps comes over as rather vulgar.
I'm happy to sit around a table of people who make 10*-100*+ what I do (and I have done so) and hear them chat about it, and in fact I'm interested rather than offended in any way, as I like hearing how people have or are succeeding within their work. I.e. maybe there are tips I can take away from it.

We live in a condo, albeit a modest one out in zone 2. We have one car, a 9.5 year old Japanese hatchback soon to be scrapped. There is nothing showy about our lifestyles; I appreciate that my latent interest and ease in discussing money might seem unusual to some unknown/random other people, but it's certainly never intended to offend.

* Like that clip from the trader film I posted some time back, and one trader commenting - 'A good day is like a round of applause, that only you get to hear', and that hits the nail on the head IMHO.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 6:54 am

It wasn't derogatory, but just a statement of fact. You are all about money. There is nothing wrong with it, or with what it will buy. I was primarily pointing to the fact that there are those who's relentless pursuit of money is their be all and end all while there are others who are probably just as happy with a lot less and "also" enjoy what they do, regardless of the monetary reward potential. 'twasn't meant to be antagonistic, but just poor Engrish (sic).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 7:45 am

Ah, yes. I know people who have very little and yet they profess to be and appear completely content. It might be the village vicar, or the locals school art or music teacher... hmmm come to think of it both of those are professions are 'callings' (like nursing) that you're is almost born knowing you want to follow. Farming is something like that too though farmers tend to be born into farming families (buying a functioning farm at say 18-20 being a non-starter).

There's also that thing about defining what is important in your life, career, own home, spouse and children, x holidays/pa, etc *50. Thus you have an end-goal in life. For me, I don't know what I want, and can't imagine some 'end point' when I get to doze in a hammock all day :)

Time for an espresso I think... :cool:

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: tired of 9-5 office job. any other job recommendation?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:A lot of people like their job and it has lousy income. Money isn't everything, except in people like JR8's case. I'm happier since I went bankrupt in 1973 than I ever was prior to that point.

JR8 is wrong example. He has achieved what he wanted to achieve. There are plenty of us, who are on the same path, i.e. money is everything to us, yet we haven't got there yet and probably never will.

There are 2 kinds of people who say money is not everything.

1) People like JR8 who have plenty of it

2) People like SMS who have realized it.

And both of them are a minority. :)

nakatago

Re: RE: Re: tired of 9-5 office job. any other job recommendation?

Post by nakatago » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 10:59 am

Wd40 wrote:money is everything to us
You forgot power and teh wimmenz.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: tired of 9-5 office job. any other job recommendation?

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 24 Jun 2015 11:22 am

nakatago wrote:
Wd40 wrote:money is everything to us
You forgot power and teh wimmenz.
Money can buy those :)