Singapore Expats

American woman considering Singapore

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
Lilyy123

American woman considering Singapore

Post by Lilyy123 » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 6:34 am

Currently, I live in South Florida which I dislike. I am from Chicago and have lived in several states. I am going to look for a teaching job at a private school in Singapore. I work as a middle-school teacher at a public-school in Florida and would like to work, again, as a middle-school teacher in Singapore. Any thoughts you can pass my way are appreciated.
Are there any social events in Singapore that do not involve a bottle of Jim Beam? I do not touch alcohol. Thank you.
I grew up in Chicago and miss the area a great deal. I have lived in several states plus two years in Cairo, Egypt. Travel to Europe is something I enjoy and do as often as possible.
Currently, I live in South Florida. I hope to find a new teaching job in Singapore.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 8:22 am

Register on ISS (International School Search). Go to the job fairs which I think are held twice a year in the USA. This is how my wife got started in the International School system 20 years ago and ISS is still going. There is another group like ISS but I don't know their name.

PS - my wife doesn't drink and has an active social life in Singapore- so can you.
Last edited by PNGMK on Fri, 06 Sep 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 8:30 am

I'm curious as to why you selected Singapore? What do you expect to find here that you aren't finding in S. Florida?

There are plenty of private schools here hiring expatriate teachers. Some pay well and provide housing and other benefits. I understand there is a process for this including interviews in the USA which you might want to learn about now. The local Ministry of Education also hires American and other teachers but might not pay as well.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 10:58 am

scarbowl wrote:I'm curious as to why you selected Singapore? What do you expect to find here that you aren't finding in S. Florida?

There are plenty of private schools here hiring expatriate teachers. Some pay well and provide housing and other benefits. I understand there is a process for this including interviews in the USA which you might want to learn about now. The local Ministry of Education also hires American and other teachers but might not pay as well.
Men under the age of 70 for a start....

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 5:19 pm

PNGMK wrote:
scarbowl wrote:I'm curious as to why you selected Singapore? What do you expect to find here that you aren't finding in S. Florida?

And under 165cm! :D

musicgirl
Regular
Regular

Post by musicgirl » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 5:34 pm

Hi Lily,

I'm a teacher, originally form Canada. I've been here for 2 years after 4 years teaching experience in Toronto. I do enjoy being in Singapore, but if you are wondering if you will like it, well, as said above, it depends on why you want to come and why you don't like Florida. If you miss the Chicago winter, you wont find it here. :P

As for jobs, they are hiring all the time. You can apply through a service like ISS or you can apply directly to the schools if you see a posting on their websites. I began working for the local Ministry of Education (who hire foreign teachers in batches 3 times a year). If you have a degree and experience they do pay quite well, especially with the bonuses. However, you will work for that money. As a civil servant, you get very little holiday time compared to other teaching positions, but it was a worthy job working with great students and I had considered renewing my contract. I am now at an International School. There are many International Schools here and are hiring pretty frequently. I do not know what it's like at every school, but if you have any general questions feel free to PM me.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 8:27 pm

scarbowl wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

And under 165cm! :D
Small packages...

chaaraard

Post by chaaraard » Sat, 14 Sep 2013 3:56 pm

Hi Lilly, I'm not sure what you wish to teach exactly and where in Singapore? I tried teaching before and i know there is always a shortage of good teachers in Singapore (at least in the public sector), but there are few foreigners in the education service.