Singapore Expats

Need advice to start a new business in Singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
tmnet_chew

Need advice to start a new business in Singapore

Post by tmnet_chew » Thu, 05 Sep 2013 9:16 pm

I'm Malaysian work in Singapore currently holding a E Pass, My girl friend holding working permit.

We would like to start a business which become distributor of new brand of instant noodles from Malaysia.

But, don't know how to start it.

Some question
1. Hold E Pass or Work pass can register a foreign company in Singapore? should we quite ours current job?

2. How to register a new foreign company and any procedures?

3. Going to import instant noodles into Singapore from Malaysia. Need advice about shipping, import tax, warehousing and delivery.

Thanks in advanced!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

tzjraymond

Post by tzjraymond » Wed, 11 Sep 2013 6:49 pm

you have to register your company with ACRA first and maybe you can apply for an entrepass

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

livingontheedge
Chatter
Chatter

Post by livingontheedge » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 8:06 pm

If you have to ask about how to register a Company in Singapore..........it clearly means you are not ready to start a Company. I would have expected this would be planned out as part of your Busines Plan :???:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 8:35 pm

livingontheedge wrote:If you have to ask about how to register a Company in Singapore..........it clearly means you are not ready to start a Company. I would have expected this would be planned out as part of your Busines Plan :???:
Not exactly the most helpful of comments. Perhaps you could post something constructive to help the OP - clearly they are just starting to plan their business activity and asking for help, not asinine remarks like yours.
Be careful what you wish for

Leix

Post by Leix » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:25 am

Entrepass application is crazy tough now, Here is the list of requirements from MoM: http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Take note on the last criteria, it looks like it is now targeted at high end technological start-ups. as you need to fulfill ONE of the following criteria;

1) get funding from a VC
2) have your own IP
3) researching for ASTAR, I believe this is a military research facility
4) supported by a singapore incubator.

The only sensible way is registering a company and applying an Epass for both of you via that company. This is a known back-door though? probably not looked at favourably as it is circumventing new entrespass requirement.

If I were you, I would try to get a PR (assuming you want to make SG your home for the foreseeable future), then carry on with this business idea.

the visa problem is your biggest hurdle. starting a company in singapore is very easy. even foreigners can do it.

MaryRR

MaryRR

Post by MaryRR » Mon, 11 Nov 2013 10:54 pm

PR are not coming easy. If you have singaporean friends who you trust the could be your local director and company secretary, and help with the registered company address, but they will need to know and be happy to take on the responsibility of these roles. Have you got a business plan? The guy in the previous messages was quite right in emphasisingthe importance of it.[/i]

zavaladavid412

Post by zavaladavid412 » Mon, 16 Dec 2013 7:07 pm

I think you are not ready to start a business yet, For a business you have to hire some business lawyer to get some advice about business, If your gf have work permit then she can start a business and you are not you just a helper for your gf.....

laster

Post by laster » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 6:16 pm

maybe start with online business first?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 18 Dec 2013 6:21 pm

Singapore definitely does not have enough instant noodles. What a great business :?
nutnut

Michelle Lai

Post by Michelle Lai » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 3:06 pm

E Pass? Is means Employment Pass ? As long as you have valid employment pass is alright to set up company in Singapore....

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 19 Dec 2013 9:44 pm

Michelle Lai wrote:E Pass? Is means Employment Pass ? As long as you have valid employment pass is alright to set up company in Singapore....
It is OK to set up a company but not work for it. For PEP, the rules are spelled out. For EP, you can only work for one employer.

I'm just not seeing MOM grant an EP to a startup that wants to import instant noodles.