Singapore Expats

Dependent pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Pink Flower

Dependent pass

Post by Pink Flower » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 3:06 pm

Hello,
We plan to move to Singapore early next year as my husband got job opportunity there. My question:

- company only sponsor my husband under employment Pass. So can he sponsor our family ( wife with two kids). How much it will be cost ? And what kind of resident visa we should apply ?

- if we under dependent pass (my husband EP), can our children join any school, either local school or International School ?

Thanks for any feedback...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Dependent pass

Post by the lynx » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 3:11 pm

Pink Flower wrote:Hello,
We plan to move to Singapore early next year as my husband got job opportunity there. My question:

- company only sponsor my husband under employment Pass. So can he sponsor our family ( wife with two kids). How much it will be cost ? And what kind of resident visa we should apply ?

Only the company is able to apply for DP for you and your kids when they apply for his EP. Another option on his own is to apply Long Term Visit Pass for you three.

- if we under dependent pass (my husband EP), can our children join any school, either local school or International School ?

Yes for international school. Your children may be able to join local school, subject to availability because the priority goes to citizens and PRs. Very hard. You should use search function in this forum for an idea.

Thanks for any feedback...

Pink Flower

Dependent pass

Post by Pink Flower » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 3:21 pm

Hi lynx, thx for reply.
So it means my husband can not sponsor to get dependent pass for family ? Should company ? We holding American passport, how long is long term visit visa normally ?
Thanks again

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 3:22 pm

Entry into local schools is easy. It is just a matter of finding a school with a space - no different to most countries.
Yes, there are fewer spaces now but that is across the board and same for all. But there are always schools near you with spaces. But some, highly sought after schools either 'name brand' or 'expat friendly' are harder to get into.
And remember, that school buses will collect your child from almost anywhere on the island so distance is not such a problem.
Most International Schools have waiting lists - especially the larger ones - so it may be just as hard to get into the International School of your choice.

The company should sponsor you and the children for a DP - and they should have no objection to doing this because in reality it costs them next to nothing (approx $100) and the only liability is if you were to need to be deported and they would have to pay your aeroplane fare home - and that would be a very rare case.

Pink Flower

Post by Pink Flower » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks lot chatter!
Unfortunately my husband work job is for single status, not in family status. But we plan to move to Singapore. Will ask the company then for DP. Need to nego moreeeee