Singapore Expats

Eating your food off your tray in Food Court/Coffee Shop...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 9:12 am

Yes, regardless of the country, I think it is generally best to NOT take a peek in the kitchen….

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:48 am

The two places in Singapore that I have wondered if I'd get sick from were really expensive. Our local hawker is immaculate.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 1:38 pm

uscate wrote:I continue to be amazed at how really FILTHY most hawker centers seem to be. Whenever I know I'm going to visit one, I bring a baggie of Lysol wipes and rubber gloves, and scrub my table clean. I generally get a look of amazement from whomever happens to be around, but I've seen enough spit-out bones and shells laying directly on the table to last a lifetime.

Given that Singaporeans are (most of the time rightfully) proud of their hawker food culture, I'm just surprised that people don't care enough to try to be neat (or at least some semblance thereof).

Rant over.
I think the wipes is probably a good idea but the rubber gloves part..... well I'm not completely surprised you get some amazed looks :)

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 3:18 pm

Maybe I'm just too squeamish, but I honestly have no desire to touch some of the stuff I've had to wipe off the tables, hence the gloves.

As long as I try to choose "low lard" food options, I've never gotten sick from the hawker meals I've eaten. This isn't a condemnation of the hawker chefs and their food, but rather a commentary on the habits of some of the diners.

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 3:44 pm

Ditto on the Dettol wipes before sitting down at a hawker table. Generally, the turn-over of food here is too high to give bugs a chance, so I may not get sick. But I'm not linking cooties, so the table gets a good once-over before I sit down - especially after the cleaning lady has given it her cursory wipe with her cooties atomb bomb rag, haha.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 3:51 pm

^
+++1!!!!

Cooties!! HaHaHaHaHa!!!

:D

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 4:05 pm

haha, I'm normally on high alert when they clear my table if I'm still siting there. have been splashed with food when the plates are vigorously stacked, or even as the dodgy rag is being flung around..... but it's all good for the immune system, no ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 4:11 pm

I haven't heard cooties since I was in Elementary School. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 4:23 pm

Especially "atom bomb cooties!" Made my day!!!! :D

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 5:21 pm

I've never seen a table that dirty to wipe it and disinfect myself. If it has some food remains on it then I request to have it cleaned or move on to a different place. The tables are often old and worn out but they are not THAT dirty. THAT dirty are the plastic chairs nobody ever bothers to clean except with the customers shorts, skirts and trousers.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 8:19 pm

Well Lucky You, 9200….maybe you're just living under a lucky cleaning star….I've never been in a place where I've been able to hail a cleaning auntie or uncle to clean my table (they all mysteriously disappear when I arrive)….And really, when they take out their cleaning rag from their dark colored water bucket and proceed to slosh it around on the table, then noooooo….that's not clean (to me)….

To each their own - I choose to eat on a table (and chairs) that I consider to be clean, and I take the extra effort to make them so. To each their own….

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:39 pm

thank you thank you :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 10:46 pm

I tend to lean towards Beeroclock! :devil:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 11:26 pm

I agree with that too, but I am rather not analyzing this kind of situations in terms of some pathogens, more in terms of practicality and personal consequence. Following the wipe the table logic one should also handle properly (gloves, disinfecting liquids) all the contact surfaces in the public space, door knobs, handles, nets terminals, money etc. Bringing your own plates and utensils would seem a must as the ones in the coffee shops are very likely washed in reused water and handled by the same hands as the table cleaning rags. And I am only slightly sarcastic.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Tue, 25 Mar 2014 12:11 am

You go, x9200….I'm sure no respect intended toward those of us who choose to eat on clean tables (despite the fact that we use doorknobs and elevator buttons without constantly whipping out the hand sanitizer)!