Singapore Expats

Eating your food off your tray in Food Court/Coffee Shop...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Eating your food off your tray in Food Court/Coffee Shop...

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:45 pm

I thought the Govt directive earlier in the year was to keep your plate/bowl on your tray whilst eating to make it easier for Auntie/Uncles to clear up afterwards, and to also keep the tables cleaner.

I appear to be the only one following this. :shock:

Did I dream the Govt asking folk to do this if there are no tray stations in the Food Court/Coffee Shop?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:50 pm

Yes, it is rather annoying. I am happy to clear my own tray, but also happy for Aunty or Uncle to have job if they need it and clean up for me. I go with the flow of the particular place. But regardless, I always stack and clean up around me - I hate it when arrogant people just get up and leave food all over the table, snotty tissues etc. It is not hard to just tidy up a bit to make it easier for the aunty/uncle.
But when i am trying to do the right thing by using the tray return, it is pretty difficult when someone comes and whips away the tray that you need so you can take your stuff back!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 1:46 pm

I've always eaten off the tray (or keeping the foodstuff container/plates on tray that is!) as it makes it so much easier for me to clear up my mess when I leave. There will always been enough inconsiderate people here to make having cleaning aunties/uncles necessary as some things here cannot seem to be taught to the local population with any sufficient degree of success unless there are whopping fines attached to it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 1:50 pm

I also eat my meals with the trays under my plates but I think many people remove the trays once they sit down because trays take up a lot of space on the table, especially if there is a large group trying to squeeze on a small table (a very true scenario in coffee shops during sardine-packed lunch hour in CBD).

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 3:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've always eaten off the tray (or keeping the foodstuff container/plates on tray that is!) as it makes it so much easier for me to clear up my mess when I leave. There will always been enough inconsiderate people here to make having cleaning aunties/uncles necessary as some things here cannot seem to be taught to the local population with any sufficient degree of success unless there are whopping fines attached to it.
oh, I thought that the 'norm' is .. to wipe the table clean, and leave all the bones, shells and all in the table ? Did somebody say otherwise ? :D

Well, the a similar gripe I have is, when people want to throw rubbish, they prefer to leave it on top of the bin, than throw it INTO The bin, or leave it neatly tied, next to the bin, and most commonly, you see water bottles left ON TOP Of the bin .. how hard could it have been to bend a bit and throw into the bin ? (those bins placed at bus stop specially .. )

I think it is in the same vein that people strongly beileve you MUST leave bones, shells and all ON The table .. and until that changes, I'm afraid the tray thing will not reduce anybody's work .. the cleaners still have to wipe the table harder and harder .. (and then I also hear some people complaing that the clothe used is so dirty .. etc. etc .. yah right .. )

kookaburrah
Regular
Regular

Post by kookaburrah » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 3:55 pm

I really only wish them to miss my plate when spitting the chicken bone onto the table. Anything beyond that, I count as a blessing.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 5:21 pm

^^This! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

I rarely return my tray

Post by The Ref » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 7:34 pm

I don't like to return my tray if Auntie / Uncle is working there. Then again, I normally leave either my change or a couple of dollars under they tray for them.

I would like to think a few others might follow my lead and I think it would be good if everyone left their change for them. They are normally past the age where I would want to be doing hospitality work and leaving my change is the least I can do.

Then again I normally buy tissues even though I have a cupboard full of them at home. :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 8:55 pm

Bet you use them for choping though..... :wink:

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Guilty

Post by The Ref » Tue, 03 Sep 2013 11:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Bet you use them for choping though..... :wink:
Guilty as charged :cool:

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Re: I rarely return my tray

Post by therat » Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:01 am

The Ref wrote:I don't like to return my tray if Auntie / Uncle is working there. Then again, I normally leave either my change or a couple of dollars under they tray for them.
They will not understand that is for them.
They will think you had forgotten to collect your money.

Singapore doesn’t have tipping culture.
By leaving money on the table. They will afraid to take it as they worry, the person who leave behind will come back and complain, say the cleaner are taking thing "money" that don't belong to them.
The auntie/uncle might lose their job.

Once my USA director comes to Singapore, we brought him to coffee shop for lunch.
When we were leaving, an auntie shouts and run toward him and passes him the money. And said.. You had leaved the money on the table.
The director look embarrassed as everyone is looking at him.

oops! the auntie also said something like.. he "the director" trying to make her lose her job. Left money on table.
Trying to setup her.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Fair enough

Post by The Ref » Wed, 04 Sep 2013 11:22 pm

I started when I used to go to the same hawker and they would chase me saying I left the money.

I didn't think it would make them feel I was setting them up as I normally leave quickly because I know they will return it if I hang around.

I am not 'Merkin and normally don't tip - especially with "plus plus" in place but at hawkers for the cleaning aunties I feel sorry for them as it is a hard life (as it is for Bangladeshi builders)

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Post by BedokAmerican » Sun, 23 Mar 2014 1:56 pm

It's very irritating when you're trying to find a place to sit and almost every table is filled with trash because people won't return their trays. It's especially bad during lunch or dinner hour. Seriously, the litter law ought to be enforced on people who don't clean up after themselves at fast food restaurants and similar places.

Some people say leaving trash around gives employees something to do. I disagree. That's like saying you can toss trash on the street so a cleaner can keep his/her job. These restaurant employees already have plenty to do. They wipe down the tables, clean the floors, clean the returned trays, empty the trash bins, restock the napkins/utensils, etc.

It takes almost no time to walk your tray to the trash can, empty it and then stack it.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 8:47 am

I continue to be amazed at how really FILTHY most hawker centers seem to be. Whenever I know I'm going to visit one, I bring a baggie of Lysol wipes and rubber gloves, and scrub my table clean. I generally get a look of amazement from whomever happens to be around, but I've seen enough spit-out bones and shells laying directly on the table to last a lifetime.

Given that Singaporeans are (most of the time rightfully) proud of their hawker food culture, I'm just surprised that people don't care enough to try to be neat (or at least some semblance thereof).

Rant over.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 24 Mar 2014 9:04 am

If I was not taken once to a place like this soon after I arrived to Singapore I would've probably stayed away from the coffee shops till now but the basic truth is, normally you don't get any food poisoning over there (I haven't gotten it even once) and generally I like the food or used to like at least as the quality changed over the years.

I've seen some popular eateries from the kitchen side in Bangkok. This gave me a right perspective I believe. Here and there I judge this kind of places by the smell rather than look.