Singapore Expats

PR: application for renewal of REP - advice/input needed

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
chrisso888

PR: application for renewal of REP - advice/input needed

Post by chrisso888 » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 8:50 pm

Good Day, Hoping that someone can help me with any advice/input if they have gone through similar experience. This is my situation:

I am a Maltese citizen and married a Singaporean citizen in November 2004. Moved to Singapore in December 2004 and worked under a Q1 employment pass. I was the Director of a company that I formed in Singapore. In the meantime we had four children born in Singapore (singaporean citizens). In September 2008, I applied for PR on the strength of my employment/directorship in Singapore since my Singaporean wife was not working. I was granted PR.

My wife and myself divorced in 2009 and sole custody and care and control for our four Singaporean children was given to myself. In 2009, I moved to Malta together with my four children (Singaporean citizens) for personal and career reasons. I liquidated the company that I had formed in Singapore. We are living in Malta since and am employed in my family business.

I have now applied (via online) to renew my REP. I did not receive any reply from ICA but i enquired online and it states that my application was rejected. I have written back stating that I want to appeal since i have information/documentation (which i was not able to submit at the online renewal stage) which i feel should change the circumstances. This information being that I am unsure that the ICA is aware that I have four singaporean children aged 7, 9, 9 and 10 and that i have sole custody, care and control.

Does anyone have any advice or input to provide to me? My objective is to have my REP renewed and to eventually return to Singapore to live one day - hopefully to move my business there or find employment in Singapore.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: PR: application for renewal of REP - advice/input neede

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 9:03 pm

chrisso888 wrote:Good Day, Hoping that someone can help me with any advice/input if they have gone through similar experience. This is my situation:

I am a Maltese citizen and married a Singaporean citizen in November 2004. Moved to Singapore in December 2004 and worked under a Q1 employment pass. I was the Director of a company that I formed in Singapore. In the meantime we had four children born in Singapore (singaporean citizens). In September 2008, I applied for PR on the strength of my employment/directorship in Singapore since my Singaporean wife was not working. I was granted PR.

My wife and myself divorced in 2009 and sole custody and care and control for our four Singaporean children was given to myself. In 2009, I moved to Malta together with my four children (Singaporean citizens) for personal and career reasons. I liquidated the company that I had formed in Singapore. We are living in Malta since and am employed in my family business.

I have now applied (via online) to renew my REP. I did not receive any reply from ICA but i enquired online and it states that my application was rejected. I have written back stating that I want to appeal since i have information/documentation (which i was not able to submit at the online renewal stage) which i feel should change the circumstances. This information being that I am unsure that the ICA is aware that I have four singaporean children aged 7, 9, 9 and 10 and that i have sole custody, care and control.

Does anyone have any advice or input to provide to me? My objective is to have my REP renewed and to eventually return to Singapore to live one day - hopefully to move my business there or find employment in Singapore.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

If the kids aren't residing in Singapore it would be difficult to argue a family ties basis, however I would appeal. Be aware that the ICA has not been renewing REP's of none resident PR's for some time now tho.

I can't help that much more but I'm curious how you managed to gain sole custody of your kids?

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:27 am

I don't think you have a chance to get your REP renewed unless you give them a date specific of when you are going to return to Singapore, and what you will be doing when you get here. Otherwise, you look just like all the other absent PR's trying to renew from afar. "Eventually return to Singapore to live one day" won't cut it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 11:58 am

Strong Eagle wrote:...
now counting, two guys I know had their REP rejected, both were living outside Singapore.

Both appealed, got 12 months REP (no kidding) and I can see ICA's logic

if you spend the next 12 months here, then they will extend

I believe the idea is to really lower the residents, and weed out 'non residents' who do add to the numbers, if they are on some form of pass or PR

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 4:01 pm

I sent you a PM with information that might help.